Odd other cars

padgett

I have a 1985 Pontiac Fiero SE 2M6 Auto. All redone and looking good. Found a place in Ct. that has the parts from over 700 dismantled Fieros. Guy is super cheap and all parts are in great shape. I bought a rear sub frame with lower arms for $100.

Guest F14CRAZY

Before our coupe, we were really close to getting a Fiero GT auto with 20k miles or so. Should we have got Fieros instead of Reattas? Probably not. They're faster, and sure you can drop most any motor you want into it, but luxury is cool, and Fieros aren't veru substantial (ask Padgett)

I thought about getting a Fiero... maybe that Ferrari looking one, but the prospect of the engine catching fire didn't appeal to me. Seen to many car fires on the road, didn't want to be the guy standing in front of one. I'm sure there are fixes for that... but I still like the Reatta better than the Fiero. Fieros are mad, crazy, customizable. As everyone knows, you can drop just about any engine into one, and they can be the basis for many a kit car. Still, I don't want a Ferrari or even a Fiero/Ferrari look-a-like... for that matter, I don't want a Fiero kit Ferrari. But still, for those who like them, they offer endless opportunity for customization. smirk.gif

On another note, I do recall seeing the Smart/Mercedes-Benz look-a-like in an Auto magazine somewhere. It doesn't look too bad, but if you consider that it costs too much for what it is and that people will make fun of you for buying a Benz look-a-like... then you'll probably pass. If the quality is anything near a Mercedes-Benz, then run for cover. Daimler Chrysler has destroyed what quality the Benz had in the 90's... not that it was much. What happened to German Engineering? Did that die with Hitler, too? frown.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

Yeah. What's the point of a Smart when you can buy a late model American car that's easier to get parts for etc and is more substantial for less money? Smart's a headturner but wouldn't ever want to be in an accident with one.

a) Smart: I don't want one, my *wife* does. Some things you just do.

B) Fiero: have had two and the Reatta really replaced the second.

Stories of fires were grossly overstated. The original 84 had a 3 quart oil pan and typical American drivers would let it get two quarts low. Rod would exit between engine and firewall dumping whatever oil was left onto the catalytic converter which is really not a good idea.

Added a quart in the recall (changed the marking on the dipstick and used a larger oil filter) and added a splash shield over the exhaust and cover over the wiring. Was never an issue with the V-6.

Reatta fenders (and TranSport's) are the same material as Fiero so is a bit of Fiero in every Reatta. Can buy a nice Reatta and a nice Fiero for under $10k. What a deal.

(sigh) Women... well, just do what you have to, to keep her happy. No one wants an angry wife on their back... especially when they want to go out with the guys. Just another reason that I won't ever get married. Besides, in the "New America", getting hitched is just plain out-of-style. And can be detrimental to a man's mental and financial stability. Wanted to, before I decided that it may be a bad choice. I am old fashioned and out-of-touch with reality... but there are some lessons worth learning and sometimes it's a good thing to progress with the rest of society... in this case... I vote YES to the word NO.

Beyond that bit of chatter, I may still look into a Fiero... but I'm not sure what late model I want to get. The original "notch" back or the new and improved (yeah, okay) Ferrari clone. In any event... I do like all the gadgets and doo-dads that make the "cockpit" so interesting. It reminds me of the <span style="font-style: italic">Back to the Future</span> DeLorean. DeLorean, which is, my favorite automobile... as gay as that sounds to many people. confused.gif

Guest DTerry

I had a '77 Mercedes 200. That was enough of the Mercedes experience for me. Swore I'd never own another. Then I got a Volvo, and found out that Mercedes was - statistically - the second most-expensive-to-repair car sold in America.

Foreign cars I've owned:

Mercedes - Never again.

Volvo - Liked the car, but too expensive to maintain.

Renault - What can I say?

Volkswagen - The original Beetle, 'nuff said.

Citroen - French....

Mazda - Not bad; probably the Ford influence.

Honda - Nice car for a rice burner.

Datsun (not Nissan) - nice driver, but not very durable.

One of the fun vehicles was a '73 Ford/Mazda Courier with a transplanted Ford V6 and C4 transmission.

There just ain't no substitute for Detroit iron! wink.gif

Yeah, well, this is what happens when Chrysler makes just about anything. Don't even tell me how great the MOPAR cars of the sixties were, because anyone who has ever owned one, knew that they fell apart faster than you could drive from the dealership to your house. Made with the crappiest materials known to exist... and some not known to exist. Why do you think it costs so much to restore them? One, the cost of materials nowadays. Two, the fact that <span style="font-style: italic">everything</span> needs to be replaced. If there's one in good original condition, it's that way because the owner kept it locked up in the garage, under a blanket for 40 years. Or dumped a ton of cash into it for the past almost-half-century. The ML series has always been a headache from it's inception... but don't worry, because only MILFs buy them, so it allows us to give them a hand when they break down and get possibly more than just a thank you! grin.gif

Hope that hubby doesn't find out about his wife's infidelity, and get pissed at you, because he spent insano bucks on a "sweet ride" for her, but that she never appreciated... ... ... him and the ride.

As for other, newer Benz's... don't even waste the 100 grand for the piece of (bleep)! You'll end up spending $100,000 more, when the cheesy warranty expires.

I have my doubts about newer Cadillacs... but I know that the ones from the early 90's were okay. Even though they had the regular GM problems... headliner, mouldings, etcetera. Some people complain about the engines, but others state that they never had a problem. Must be something to do with lemon cars, that they didn't think of... but yet complained about the quality before thinking. In any event, I wouldn't pay the price of a Cadillac nowadays, for what it is... which is just an over-expensive piece of (bleep). But it's got better ratings than Lincoln when it comes to problems per hundred vehicles. In other words... Lincoln puts out a whole lot of lemons. BEWARE!

I thought about picking up a mint '94 Eldorado w/Northstar... but it was that pearly white. It was just too Mafia for me... and though I'm slightly Italian... I'm not Tony Douchebag, Joey Numbahs, or Franky Goomba... so I couldn't see myself in it. $7,000 was a steal though! Let me tell you that the engine is too much for that car. The Northstar will get you killed in an STS too! The car has no way of compensating for the lift-off that you get, breaking away from a Jersey Toll Plaza. smirk.gif

one of the great lessons life has taught me is to speak from a position of actual experience, not some "I heard this" hearsay from Uncle Bernie or Aunt Edith, or the friend of the guy who works at the gas station. being in the Reatta parts business for the last few years has only helped to reaffirm this belief.

several cases in point:

as a former Dodge dealer, AND having owned 24 Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth C-bodies (full size) from 1969-1973 era in the past 15 years (including now), I certainly take exception with the issue of bad and expensive to restore. quality issues of the late 60's? I don't think any company had any room to talk there, as auto manufacturers scrambled to try to meet new safety/emission regulations, and how to remove a little more content from their vehicles, as inflation was running rampant. always easy to forget some of these little pertinent "details".

I've been collecting car brochures since I was 10, and it's interesting to look at the brochures from 1968-1973, as the catalogs from EVERY American (and import) manufacturer had addendums stapled in the back, showing all the formerly standard items which were now added to the options list to keep base prices down.

expensive to restore? never an issue, and these are cars (the large C-bodies) that nobody makes restoration parts for, unlike the vastly more popular Barracuda/Challenger/Road Runner/Charger. parts for these models are dirt cheap in comparison to the larger C-bodies.

do some folks spend silly money to restore their cars? absolutely. just let me know which GM, AMC, or Ford product regularly brings one million-plus at auction like Hemi 'Cuda convertibles do, all the time. looks like it certainly would be a wise investment to spend $250K on a first class restoration for a return like that, even if the door panels are cheesy ABS plastic. not asking for opinions on value on this one, just stating the simple facts.

as for the Cadillacs: how many Northstar (or any Cadillacs) have you owned?

I owned a livery (car service) business for six years. unlike all the other companies in this business who use Town Cars, we used deVilles exclusively, with the W20 factory livery package. we ran a fleet of ten cars, and replaced them every eighteen months or 300,000 miles, whichever came first.

this business can be absolutely brutal on any vehicle, with every car racking up about 600 miles per day. with the exception of normal maintenence items like tires, batteries or brakes, we never had a single failure of any kind; not one water pump, A/C compressor, alternator, transmission, nothing. that's why I still drive one today, and it's been as trouble-free as the others.

I certainly realize that taste is always in the eye of the beholder. however, unless things have changed dramatically since I lived in the New York City area in the 70's, the Mafia folks still seem to be leaning towards those black four-door luxury cars (probably Escalades now), not "pearly white" (white diamond?) Eldorado coupes. by the way, traction control has been standard on Cadillacs for many years. the combination of this feature and ABS makes the car extremely easy to drive. I have never driven a car with "too much power"; I just don't floor it every time I take off. even if I did, the traction control equipped Cadillac would just accelerate, and there would be no wheelspin of any kind.

Mike

Guest Reatta1

Some of you guys have some interesting stuff. My other big love isn't nearly as exotic as some I've seen here. It is a 66 LeSabre 400 convertible that is still in the 'restoration' process. Other cars I've owned that could be called oddities were a couple Corvairs. One was a Monza coupe and realy fun to drive. Probably not enough room here to list all the cars I've ever owned. grin.gif

Mike: You make valid and interesting points. And I'd like to add this one bit of minutiae to the Chrysler lore. The infamous K-cars were almost code-named "S-cars" for bookkkeeping purposes. It was only when performance turned out to be so crappy that they scrapped the "S" designation. Someone on the test track, obviously unimpressed, said, "It's slow as a <span style="font-weight: bold">snail</span>." Right then, they changed the code to "K" -- because no one at Chrysler wanted people saying...<span style="font-style: italic">"Look at that <span style="font-weight: bold">S-car go</span>." </span>

[Drumroll here, folks, for those who get it....no need for the Dudes to get headaches.]

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF </span> smirk.gifwink.gifgrin.gif

There are some odd cars in the other posts. But Reatta ownership seems to have a connection to a general car-idiosyncracy gene.

Car buying at my house:

1) I have dreamed for years of having some car

2) I tell my wife; she objects ("Why do we always have to buy odd cars? We won't be able to get the parts" etc...)

3) I find the odd car

4) We keep it forever.

I have never sold a car (so far). I only buy them.

1st car: 1970 Firebird Formula 400 ("orbit orange", bulging dual hood scoops look like breasts when behind the wheel) (I am currently rebuilding the entire front suspension and steering, and discovering 35 year old factory suspension & steering parts, some of which still have service life remaining!)

2nd car: 1984 Buick Regal T-Type Turbo, black, like Grand National except chrome bumpers

3rd car: 1986.5 Porsche 928. When the headlights are up they look like breasts from behind the wheel...

4th car: 1988 Reatta (wife resisted, now she insists it belongs to her)

5th car: 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0

Odd (relatively) cars I would like to have:

--1958 Packard Hawk (I have always liked the Hawks, and this Packard-in-name-only has the wildest shovelnose front end in front of a blown Stude 289)

--mid-late 60s Corvair coupe (a visual feast)

--another car with breasts

Okay...I give up. "Slow as a <span style="font-weight: bold">snail</span>...." "S-car Go" (<span style="font-weight: bold">escargot</span>)... Oh, forget it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">-- ALF </span> frown.gif

I have owned over 100 cars in my time mostly GM's.Perhaps the oddest car I've owned is the 63 Pontiac Tempest.It came in a compact body style with half of a 389 engine (4 cylinder)with an automatic shifter out of the dash,with a transaxle in the rear.

I currently own my 70 Chevelle,2001 Impala LS,and 2000 Olds Alero.I miss my 90 Reatta.Some day I will buy another!

ronvb

Ahhh, what I crazy weekend! Anyway... to get down to business here. Apparently, I pissed somebody off about MOPAR products. It's always a good idea to get upset about things, such as other's opinions on vehicles... (sigh)

Well, I have no experiance with Uncle Bernie or Aunt Edith, because the simple fact is that I don't get my information from hear-say. I never base any of my opinions on anything, but I what I know, from what I see, feel, hear, touch, etcetera. I call it as I see it. Although I may be 25, that doesn't mean that I haven't owned or restored these same vehicles... and vehicles much older. My father's '63 Ford Falcon was a great car. People may have had issues with them, but we never did.

Actually, I was talking about quality issues and restoration costs associated with the "Barracuda/Challenger/Road Runner/Charger" group, and some other vehicles associated with this popular line, although not necessarily a MOPAR product. I find AMCs to be of poor manufacture as well. I find the prices that some muscle cars bring at auction to be unrealistic for what they are. No car ever built is worth one million plus. And if you buy it, you're just an idiot. And that's a fact, not an opinion. Just buy one that's been a lawn ornament for 20 years and waste the money to restore it. It'll still be below the one million pricetag.

As for Cadillacs owned. 1939, 1975, 1978. Would you like VIN numbers? Also, my father has had a few in his lifetime. We both agree that they're not what they used to be. No, I haven't owned any Northstars, but I've driven them and driven in them. I suppose that doesn't count, though, because I didn't own them? The W20 Factory Livery Package and some other additions to Livery vehicles are designed to keep the vehicle running for that many miles and more. If Cadillac did that with all of their vehicles, stock, maybe I wouldn't have any issues with buying one.

Yes, things have changed dramatically, in the NYC area, since the 70's. That's why I left and moved to PA. Yes, many Italian men (and some women) still prefer the "White Diamond", Cadillac Eldorado... and if not an Eldy, then they go for the DeVille, Seville, STS, DTS, etcetera. I never had an issue with the ride of a Cadillac vehicle. The "power" comment was a joke, because I felt that it was quite a powerful vehicle. Maybe it wasn't funny, but never-the-less, it was meant to be a joke. The Escalade is reserved for "rappers" and other hip ganster wannabes, who wish to own the best, yet still live in an apartment in the middle of the ghetto. Yet, they never own the vehicle, they lease it until they destroy it, and then dump it back on the dealership. Or have it re-possessed by a financial institution. Even "mafiosos" know not to go there, it would be "unethical". Maybe their prize wife or kids might be seen sporting the SUV, but most "guidos" wouldn't be caught dead in an Escalade. And if they are, they aren't a real "guido", now are they? At least, not according to the Soprano's tongue.gif

Or whatever MTV pop culture dictates as being "cool". Didn't Tony have a Suburban?

Too much power? I guess you've never driven a 1971 Dodge Challenger 440 Six-Pack. I think most people would agree, that's too much power... but we all know we like it anyhow! wink.gif

I'm no longer replying to negative comments about my commentation. I don't wish to make enemies on the forum. There's no reason to do so.

How do I know so much about vehicles in the New York/New Jersey area? I'm a warrant officer in NJ. It's my job to re-possess cars and other property when the individuals fail to pay their bills. Because they're too busy trying to act like Tony Soprano, without the money to back it up. I do it every day. I've seen it all. My father has been doing the same thing for 35 years. That's my experiance...

Well you could ask almost any mechanic about the joy of keeping a tortion bar front end aligned. Growing up in South Florida (moved north to Orlando) I remember several times seeing new Chrysler corp cars with rust issues on the dealer's lot. They always had great engineering and cruddy bodies.

Thought about an AMX in 1970 when I returned from SEA but just could not take the steering wheel or the instrument panel, bought a Buick GS instead - 4speed/posi/front&rear sway bars/15x7 wheels & ps/pdb/ac/pw console and full instruments. Moved the tach from the right pod to the center.

Once I took the cure from Jaguars it has been pretty much all GM except for some oddball FIATs and BMWs (wife wanted one so I got her one). Gaggle of hi-po Corvairs, several F-bodies (two Camaro 4-spds and a cammer F-bird 3-speed), a V-8 Sunbird, GTO station wagon, 4-speed 70 GP, 67 GP convert. Have been a number of cars we have kept for over 20 years.

Today we have three 3800s (Reatta, Bonneville, TranSport) and Reatta is the only one under 100k miles, I just like the package. Still have one remnant of my yout, the 70 Judge which gets exercised occasionally.

Occasionally feel the need for a convertible but have mixed emotions, would be most attracted to something tiny like a Boston Beany Sprout (see R&T) or a FIAT 850 is any are still left though prices have probably gone nutty, I really don't keep track.

Have seen some absurd prices but is generally for something that was sporty to begin with and has waaay too big an engine that was not really available - production of less than 10 helps and didn't sell well when new because overpriced helps even more. Keep in mind that for a twentysomething in 1970, 400+ hp or cid meant insurance payments that were more than the car payment. BIG disincentive.

Are some oddbals I would have trouble passing up but unlikely to find since do not have Jay's or Clive's finances: a Facel-Vega (Chrysler engine but not body or chassis) or a Studillac (was a production car, well sorta)

By the way, reattadudes, this posting was, in no way, meant to be nasty to you or anybody else. I'm stating my humble opinion on certain vehicles and I've just stated the answers to some of your questions, as well as some commentation on your reply to my original posting. I would please ask everybody to never take anything I say to heart. I rarely ever make a nasty comment to anybody... well unless they're really deserving of it... but in any event, my postings are usually meant to be humorous in some respect. I like the people on this forum, I don't wish to become an enemy of anyone here. I'm only here to gather and give-out information that I feel is relevant to the posting it is associated with. And to find out about Reatta related events! cool.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">etcetera</div></div> Catera? I thought nobody liked those.

Guest F14CRAZY

I heard Cateras were kind of like runts (not the candy) and had lots of electrical problems.

Kinda like the Cimarron all over again! And it was just an Opel rehash. Hell, the Opel version only had a banger if I'm right.

It's funny but must suck. In like videos of traffic in Europe on the news, all the cars look the same and are in plain colors and look generic. But their gas is like $5 a liter or sumthin so small cars would be cool for that. But you don't seen any with like pimp wheels, spinner hubcaps (from a Flint chopshop), dark tint, a wing, fart can tips, etc.

Holden's lineup looks a lot better than what GM here has. I like the "One Tonner." Looks like a Monaro/GTO but with a stake rack and it's a real one ton pickup. With a 5.7L and 6 speed.

The Fiero I have is a 1985 SE 2M6. It's a "Notchie" but from what I hear it's a somewhat desirable model because its a 6 cyl auto. I originally bought it to cut in half and do a 3 wheel trike from it, but once I got into the model and ser# I decided to keep it original. As for the "FIRE" problems, those were on the 1984 model. The car had neopreme fuel lines and the heat from the engine (they do get VERY hot) baked the lines and made them rupture. Mine has all steel lines. There is a great discussion board on the Fiero too. Later Dudes and Dudettes. grin.gifgrin.giflaugh.gif

Guest Reatta1

F14, don't knock the Cimarron too badly. I had an 86, now sold to my brother, that I bought out of a wrecking yard for $500. Somebody had neglected it very badly but after I did some much needed maintenance and some repairs on it it ran great. Around 140k and still doesn't burn any oil and is very peppy to boot. It was my 'beater' car and I also loaned it to several friends and relatives while their own cars were out of service (one put almost 10k on it). I enjoyed the car and felt it was very dependable. grin.gif

Guest F14CRAZY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F14, don't knock the Cimarron too badly. I had an 86, now sold to my brother, that I bought out of a wrecking yard for $500. Somebody had neglected it very badly but after I did some much needed maintenance and some repairs on it it ran great. Around 140k and still doesn't burn any oil and is very peppy to boot. It was my 'beater' car and I also loaned it to several friends and relatives while their own cars were out of service (one put almost 10k on it). I enjoyed the car and felt it was very dependable. grin.gif </div></div>

I didn't mean to if I did. But that's badge engineering for ya blush.gif. I did hear that it got a lot better with a V6. 4 bangers don't belong in "luxury" cars, whatever that really means.

I heard in the news not too long ago that GM, and making new model names (Trailblazer, Colorado, Cobalt, CTS, G6, etc) is actually hurting them because people don't know what it is or where it sits in the lineup. Kind of makes sense. Then again, I one asked about why they did it, and its said that the cars they replaced were low quality 90s cars such as the Lumina (an argument in itself right there). But take the Grand Am and the Century; they're the best selling cars in their class and have been for about ever. Why stop? Sometimes change is bad.

Guest Reatta1

Yep I agree. Discontinuing the Century and Regal makes no sense to me. They are both realy great cars. My 93 Regal is a real gem. I think they started screwing up the Regal when they started making it in a four door and then later dropping the coupe altogether confused.gif

But then they pay other people a lot of money to decide what kind of car I want to drive. crazy.gif

Yeah, to tell you the truth, I really like the newest model Regal. I like the Century, too, but I like a floor shifter better than the steering column one. Now if I could find a Buick Regal in white with the supercharged engine, I might have to sell my soul... I'm so strapped right now, that a homeless man has a better chance of getting one. In fact, I'm still hanging on whether I want the newest Buick Regal or something newer, like the 2006 VW Passat, for my next vehicle. I love the Buick, but the new VW is supposed to come with an optional horozontilly opposed VR-6 engine at nearly 280 HP... and an optional all-wheel-drive. I liked the VW Phaeton, even if it was a rediculous idea and had a name that was oxymoronic. Phaeton = Old School Convertible. The new VW Passat will be a scaled down Phaeton. I still may go with the Buick, because I might be able to get one that's certified pre-owned (used, but under warranty), and it'll be less expensive. Besides, one should never buy a car, the first year they come out. It took four years for Jaguar to work the bugs out of the X-Type. The first year GTO buyers got stuck with the old 350, when this year, the buyers got a 400... and dual exhaust. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

I'm still "hankerin'" for a 2002-2003 Buick Regal...

confused.gif

Guest Reatta1

It might be a great looking car but they were not that great on mpg. Best I ever achieved in mine (with the same engine)was low to mid 20's. Even with all that work it is still probably not worth what he wants.

• 1 year later...

i have a 79 corvette sitting under some furniture, a box or too, and i think theres some plywood in there somewhere. i dont know what kind of engines in it, but its not the L-82 like it was suposed to when my dad bought it. its seen better days too. but i waont let my dad get rid of it because its practicaly part of the family, and he will need something to do when he retires!

I must be the odd-ball in this forum. I always buy and sell many cars as a hobby. I tend to keep my older ones like '24 Dodge Brothers touring, '27 Hudson super 6 sedan, 49 Dodge wrecker, 50 Chrysler,

60 Chevy Kingwood wagon(only 9 built), 64 Coupe Deville and 73 Bradley. Some of my not so odds are 89 buick Century plus parts cars, Ford Taurus(3), 90 Reatta, 88 Riviatta, 89 Reatta parts car and as of tonight another 88 Reatta. Probably a few more I can't recall. My biggest problem with my cars is deciding which one to work on and drive which is a big issue considering my fettish for cars. Does anyone else have that problem?