This and all the replies should be interesting ...

Reatta Fan

The quality (or lack of) speaks for itself....that is no factory job. Also, why would a factory custom only have work done to the front, other than some chrome around the wheel well openings, everything else is stock.

The CarFax report would be interesting... how many miles did it have when first titled? and how many owners? Factory jobs usually get stashed for several years before they are scrapped or somehow get out to the public. I'll bet this car was in private hands in 1988

Guest tempest68

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what the hell is that </div></div>

I think it's a: Buick Riviera/atta

Based on what looks like a Riv. grill.

Sad that the headlights give it a mid-90's Saturn look frown.gif

GREAT parts car!

The hood looks like it came off of a 93-95 Chrysler Lebaron (notice the center creases in the sheet metal?)

The grill looks as if it came from a late model Mercury Marquis.

NICE catch on the missing side marker lights--sure to cause it to fail the state inspection in any state that requires one.

Anyone on here with an active CARFAX account that can run the VIN to see the history on this car?

By the way, when was the last time you saw a "museum" car with 37,000 miles? Don't most true museum cars have ultra low mileage, like many of those in the Sloan collection?

HEY--maybe it is the top secret 2007 Buick Lacrosse two-door!

Really pathetic... none of the comopnents line up.

Another theory as to its origin:

Often for TV commercials like for a chain of transmission repair shops, they'll take a car and modify it in such a way for it to look familiar, yet not specific for it to play the role of "generic car making weird noises on hills" the level of detailing usually is pretty lousy, but for the 5 seconds its on screen it is good enough. You see this all the time if you are looking for it. It would also explain why they didn't modify the rear, as no one would see it.

Maybe they could use it in a future episode of the Twilight Zone.

Imagine Rod Serling standing against the front door of the GM building:

"Picture a man--Bob Lutz. A man who thought he was coming to a car company to rescue it from medeocre designs and a bloated bean-counter bureacracy. But this trip will take Mr. Lutz to a deep dark secret design studio that no one knew was there. The location of this secret office? The Twilight Zone." CUE UP MUSIC!

http://www.hauntedillinois.com/midi/tzone.mid

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> when was the last time you saw a "museum" car with 37,000 miles? Don't most true museum cars have ultra low mileage, like many of those in the Sloan collection?

</div></div>

In an earlier post I made reference to a daily driver with some 500,000 miles on it that was flown into Pebble Beach to show it off. It is insured by the owner for $40,000,000.00 Back home it is stored in a hermetically sealed room. The car is also original as in not restored.

500,000 miles and insured for $40 million? Yeah, I'd like to see them collect on THAT policy.

And, oh, by the way, if it is "stored in a hermetically sealed room," they why does it need an insurance policy?

The only reason I can imagine for a 500,000 mile car to be in a sealed room or to have an insurance policy on it is if it belonged and was used regularly by a celebrity or VIP.

Howard Hughes' 1954 Chrysler New Yorker is in the Imperial Palace Hotel museum in Las Vegas. It has only 1,600 miles on it, and has a custom-made air conditioner that filters the outside air due to HH's incredible paranoia about germs. Is it worth $40 million? I doubt it......

The collection also has Hitler's Mercedes, Johnny Carson's first car, Mel Blanc's Edsel (the voice of Bugs Bunny) and many others. I doubt if there is ONE car in the entire Imperial collection that would approach $40 mil.

Just what kind of car is this?

This is it!

The car is "The" and because it is the first, only the first can be called "The" so it is "The Rolls Royce Silver Ghost" a 1907 vintage car.

And yes I suspect that it is an agreed upon value and Yes the owner, the Rolls Royce company would collect on the policy.

7563801-M.jpg

Not bad for an all original 500,000 mile car.

2004_pebblebeach_2s.jpg

Guest F14CRAZY

Hmmm..I agree now that it looks like one of those generic TV commercial cars. It would be interesting to look it over and see how it's fabricated, up close.

Guest F14CRAZY

Also, what is the insignia on the grill? confused.gif I have denounced (correct word usage?) it as being a prototype or something of significant value. The rest of the car looks in nice shape and it has pretty low miles though.

By the condition of the carpet under the brake pedal,

I'd guess the driver was a left footed braker who rode

the pedal all the time. Or maybe the little car got

all those miles attached to a 25 cent carrousel outside

a WalMart.

Guest Reatta1

'Factory prototype' my ass. The vin # is a lot higher than mine. Looks like somebody tried to 'Chryslerize' it. crazy.gif The fit around that stupid looking hood grille insert is worse than amateurish to say nothing of the 'queer' look it gives to the car. frown.gif Mike at Reattadudes should offer to take it off the guys hands for parts.

Yikes, the bids are up to $5k. If it could be bought for a grand or so it might be worthwhile to replace the front end with the right parts, but that's way to much to start from. I don't like much about it, except the attempt to install fixed headlights (although botched). Was a sunroof available in '88? Too bad an otherwise nice car was butchered like this.

I see this thing ending up in WA court or someone getting stuck with a car that won't pass inspection without seroius modification. The seller doesn't even bother mentioning this....which is probably why it has sat for the past 11 years. My state doesn't have inspections and I hope the winner's state or area doesn't have them as well. Someone is going to get the shaft! shocked.gif

Is a very late 88 and the sunroof was available somewhat earlier (mine has one and am waiting for some cables to come from Canada ?). Can also see the gold steering wheel center and it probably has the steel return tube on the Teves. These were all slipstreamed in during the year. The "3800" on the intake plenium casting was '88 only.

Was enough of a driver for someone to have added a flush connection on the heater hose. I would definately want to check the VIN displayed on the CRT against the actual.

Guest Billy Kavanagh

State of washington only checks for smog, so whoever buys this car will have to deal with the highway patrol when they pull them over. They will probably impound the car until the indicator lights are fixed. Someone should email the bidders to this site. Buyer beware.

Would be rather simple, turn the foglights to 45 degrees and let them double as side markers. Already being used as turn signals ("The fog lamps below the front bumper double as turn signals."). Or drill a hole in the side and fit an amber lens and you have a side marker light.

Guest F14CRAZY

It ended at $5800 last night. Seems like a decent buy, considering the milage and condition, but would take a lot to get it looking right again.