my car doubles as a insect fogger

Bill Stoneberg

Recently My 1947 Buick Super has decided it wants to double as one of thos vehicles that drive around the town fogging for insects.

This is happening espcially on acceleration. Also when I fill the gas tank I have to add a quart of oil.

In response to the inevitable questions, I have not done any compression tests or leakdown tests yet. I just replaced the starter so I am going to get to it.

What should I look for to try to solve or narrow down what I should do so my car can kick the smoking habit ?

Bill,

I agree with the above post re.: fuel pump. Your '47 has been too nice a car and too well cared for to suddenly need a ring job. I'm willing to bet that one of the diaphrams in the fuel pump is letting crankcase oil into the combustion chamber. The "new" gasoline is very hard on old fuel pump diaphrams.

Pete Phillips

Bill,

If you have found oil at the manifold vacuum connection for the wipers, there is nothing more to check. You have just confirmed our diagnosis. If you need more proof, take the fuel pump apart and look at the hole or split in your upper diaphragm, which is the one for the wipers. Time to rebuild that fuel pump before the Texas environmental authorities pull you over (I'm joking of course. The Texas environmental department is so weak and under-staffed that they can't even halt the biggest polluters in the state--G. Bush's legacy--sorry, I couldn't resist).

Pete Phillips

Thanks for the suggestions and I actually had time to try plugging off the line yesterday. I am sad to say it didn't help. I am still smoking.

Can oil get into the gas from the fuel side of the pump ? I really am hoping it is something easy as opposed to a rebuild.

Hey Bill

The car is not a teenager, so it is old enough and legal to smoke. It has always smoked some when I have followed you...not enough to notice if you are driving.

Oil cannot get into the gas at the fuel pump, but gas can get into the oil causing dilution and oil burning. If this is the case you should smell gas on the dipstick. Also if the carburetor is too rich it can wash to oil off the cylinder walls, accelerating wear.

Pull the plugs and you may be able to tell which cylinder(s) are contributing to the pollution...and then do a compression check.

Willie

• 1 month later...

Well, it has been awhile since I was able to work on my car. Sheetrocking a living room sucks.

But I did finally get to it and am I bummed now. One cylinder had NO compression at all. The rest were all between 60 and 80 lbs.

I squirted oil into the offensive cylinder and the gauge still didn't move.

So I am thinking I have a valve problem or worse. I dont know what to think about the rest of them yet. Plugs were all a nice black color so it looks like it ran rich too.

And I thought sheetrocking was bad.....

Bill,

No compression rang a bell with me. Blew a hole in a piston on my '54 once and boy did it ever suck oil into the cylinder and out the exhaust pipe. Looked like I was intentionally trying to lay down a smoke screen so the troops could come out of their trenches to attack the... Oops too much History Channel...

Good luck

Bill

What is this loose a Buick piston week? My 56 did the same thing Saturday, started smoking, blowing oil through breathers,and missing. I removed the plugs on the left side (the one smoking) and #8 was fouled. I also found bent push rod on #8. Rebuild time

Finally got the massive and heavy head pulled. That was a job.

Looks like number 1 cylinder has a broken ring. I pured gas into it and instead of staying in the cylinder, it immediatly went past the rings and into the oil pan.

Looks like the engine is coming out.

Now, do I just rebuild the engine or do I stick the nailhead in that I have been building and turn the car into a full fledged street rod ??? Decisions, Decisions.

Hey Bill

Just put in the one you have already rebuilt for the Woody and then build this one for the Woody. You should really use the nailhead for the fastback.

Year ago I would have just cut the ridges on the cylinders, do a hone job and replace the pistons with new rings...any pistons with broken rings would need to have the upper ring groove cut and shimmed...should be good for 25-50k (the sparkplug change interval for newer cars) and then do it again. Or sell it to Tommy1927. grin.gif

JohnD

On well worn engines the upper ring will break and rock in the upper ring groove making it larger. Replacement rings would fit too loose and soon fail. Machine shops would re-groove larger and then put in shims or spacers (look alot like the rails on the oil control ring) to make the groove standard size again. This is at best a stop gap repair since the reason the rings broke in the first place is excessive taper wear in the cylinder causing the ring to flex (expand at the top of the cylinder and contract at the bottom).

I have done this twice on my projects. The first was a '51 Ford flathead six...I used NOS rings that failed at 20K. The next was a '55 322...I used at the recommendation of the machine shop the best moly rings. When the the engine failed at 30K for other reasons (cam) the rings were still intact and the cylinders still showed the hone marks. The engine was noisy from piston slap and had more blowby due to increased ring end gap. That engine has 0.012-0.018 wear on the cylinder wall...0.006 is the upper limit. I was just fixing this car up for resale in the mid '80's and didnot want to spend $480 for new pistons (Kanter was the only supplier back then). Anyhow I still have the car.

Willie

Guest 53and61

Willie,

Could you (and others) comment on two other approaches that I've read about? First, is it possible to true up cylinders with a rigid hone (but no true boring) when out-of-round and taper are around 0.010"? Second, is piston knurlizing a good idea or false economy? Thanks.