Some Assembly Required.... 1937 Hudson Terraplane Coupe

So, I am officially convinced my wife is correct when she says that I cannot control my automotive urges and "just say no".  I went to go look at a John Deere tractor listed on CL at an estate pre-sale last weekend, and they also had cars.  mostly fords and an old jeep, however there was this 1937 Hudson Terraplane (business??) coupe that needs some assembly required. Needless to say, that is looked beautiful just sitting on jack stands as it was. however, I was not interested in the asking price. When the gentleman said "make an offer" I did..... and he held out his hand and said done.  I did not get the tractor...   I will be looking for some parts that were not there in multiple areas of the garage where it has sat for nearly 12 years just as it was when I saw it....  So, the assembly to start and then disassembly to clean up suspension and frame, unfortunately the motor and transmission are long gone as they had placed a 302 with automatic in its place. 

image.jpeg.157904302347fabbb1ea7fbeefc3b264.jpeg

found the suspension on the side of the shop covered by a trap and 10" of leaves and dirt...image.jpeg.e9e1f4088fea7bf2f57a59ed8dfb2170.jpeg

image.jpeg.cdf6be47ea0ef5e4844f598ca2704a88.jpeg taking inventory of parts. 

image.jpeg.e91863c3eb4fa211ede0bf16482a2bcf.jpeg 5 hours later.......  

Edited by BadGoat
update (see edit history)
  • Like 18

I did not, however I will be back up there to get the rest of the items that I could not fit on the trailer.  it is in very rough shape. it is a 56 CJ with rusted floors.  update, here is the CL posting....

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/pts/d/banks-automotive-estate-sale/7778264678.html

Edited by BadGoat (see edit history)

Inventory completed.....   Surprisingly I have after great many hours searching the dark corners of the shop have found the majority of the parts. As I am not familiar with the 1937 Hudson Terraplane until now, I am not sure how much luck I will have finding the remaining items. So, if anyone has and leads or parts I would appreciate any help. I am also wondering if it will near be impossible to return the car to completely stock as the original engine, transmission and rear end have been replaced with small block ford using the original motor mounts (that came with the car).  There have been very little modifications to the frame that can be fixed back to original 'Ish.  Also, I am not sure of the actual model of this vehicle as it has a large package tray, so would that be a "utility" or a Victoria coupe as it has the fender badges and lots of chrome with all 3 front & rear bumperettes?

serial #735604

pieces missing:

• heater core cover (vents)
  • clock on dash (or cover for hole)
  • headlamp inners or rings (not sure how they go together)
  • hood ornament jewel (have base however wing has been broken off. maybe 3D print one?)
  • fuel tank as the two that came with it are rusted badly.  
  • leaf spring shackles front and rear.
  • door rocker trim moldings.
  • gas cap and filler gasket & mounting ring.
  • RT front bumper bracket (might just make one)

I have all the interior wood rails and side frames with all the old interior panels to use as patterns for new trim as well as the seat frame and springs.  I added some photos of the RT/LT tail lamps to see if these are original or from another vehicle?  all the glass with gasket, can these gaskets be rejuvenated with anything or is there anyone that reproduces them? The wife has fallen in "LIKE" with this one and wants me to move it in front of the other projects so we can drive it. I appreciate thoughts and advise on this car as I am wanting to bring it back to what it was as the modifications did not harm the car, however a part of me likes the hot rod looks of it.

IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6192.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

IMG_6207.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg

IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6211.jpg

IMG_6214.jpg

IMG_6217.jpg

IMG_6220.jpg

IMG_6223.jpg

IMG_6222.jpg

IMG_6157.jpg

IMG_6155.jpg

IMG_6158.jpg

• Like 6

I'd be real tempted to do minimal work other than mechanical needed for the car to be safe and enjoyable.   I think once in that state you'll "just know" what is right for the car.

Obviously it needs to be safe and dependable.  Cosmetically it looks really cool as is. 

• Like 4

thank you, Sir

That is kind of what I am thinking after putting parts together this weekend.  It has modern power brakes added with 4-wheel disks, 9" rear end and the 302 with automatic looks like it was rebuilt (or craigslist rebuild with new gaskets). and done right with quiet exhaust I don't think anyone would notice unless they opened the hood. 

7 hours ago, zipdang said:

Don't hotrod it. There I said it. No preaching.😐

I agree! I really hope you can return it to the once great car it was and should be again. That said. you have to do what is best for you. Most of the pieces you mention needing fall into the category of "do the best as you can" fabrication.

So few Terraplanes exist in a nicely restored state, that this could be a really special car if done right. Quite a few really rough Terraplanes have been shared lately in the not mine for sale section. Most of them have practically no chance of being restored. But this one looks really doable.

• Like 3

I am in agreement with your thoughts as I have appreciated the originality of my vehicles.  So, on goes the hunt for a viable power train that will not break the bank.  I am going to utilize the existing set up to drive it and enjoy it until I can find a suitable engine and transmission. (One rule of the garage.... cars must move on their own power.) also, I have a task of the interior and digging out my sewing machine to make the panels, seat cover and headliner. I found a roll of fabric that was with the interior parts that appears to be close to what was original, and it was tagged "37 Hudson".   any assistance in locating items is greatly appreciated. 

• Like 4

• BadGoat changed the title to Some Assembly Required.... 1937 Hudson Terraplane Coupe

Assistance needed:  I have been trying to figure out the headlamp buckets and how the lamps are mounted in them? I have what appear to be original glass lenses, however only aftermarket reflector inserts and small outer rings that do not fit.  does anyone know what is missing?  also looking for a fuel tank or if there is anyone that restores existing tanks?

image.jpeg.6b307467022b3ca1613aac83eb686dc9.jpegimage.jpeg.4d05be4a8ba93d264c975a40ff803f1a.jpegimage.jpeg.513f8c8c96251f5f33278a0e01ce128b.jpegimage.jpeg.a5c5ce6edec42286ce7bbaa6312e583a.jpegimage.jpeg.739f21a9376b15a11d3667d3bda016e8.jpeg

• Like 5

Question for those with much more knowledge than I....   on the Hudson they have a "horseshoe" leaf spring shackle that I have not been able to locate in my search of the old Interweb. I have someone at Rareparts.com looking, however even he is having difficulty finding them as he is saying they are designed for front RT/LT and rear RT/LT parts.  my question, would it be plausible to just utilize a more modern flat bracket shackle for these in place of?   I had to make temporary shackles to hold the suspension to move the car out of the shop as there were only 2 of the 6 needed and I spent the better part of a Saturday rummaging through the shop to find the originals with no luck.

Thoughts??

image.png.baae7cc89b370d39b1bddd28f2fd95ea.pngimage.jpeg.8a0a53489a406d41698be4954c9d1641.jpeg

• Like 1

I stopped in at Oregon Auto Springs (only 5 miles from me) and they will recondition the springs with new hardware & cushions with the shackles for $100 per spring.  and if I wanted flat stock shackles it is $75 per.  win-win as I don't have to blast and paint the springs or the brackets.   I will add photos after they are completed.

• Like 6

0.jpg.d332b3a52b69f7466ffcbc090bdd2913.jpg0.jpg.84ca93ac2f2b254e8621187123a6a3e6.jpgHi Bad Goat

Here's a look at a headlight pot from my '36 Dodge. I think it is very much like yours. Diameter of the opening is 7 9/16 " What you appear to be missing is the stainless trim ring and the mounting tabs that support the reflector.  Looking at your reflector, it has the same springs on the back as mine and they anchor in the square holes in the two tabs you see in the first photo. The two short tabs keep the lens in place. The lens is held in by the pressure exerted by the springs on the reflector and the reflector is anchored by a bracket and screw that goes through the hole seen on the top (which is actually the bottom of the pot - it is sitting upside down) The headlight lens is tilted and popped into place. 

Someone had converted mine to a sealed beam unit and cut out one of the tabs on one headlight pot. 

If your lens is a RITEWAY lens measuring 7 9/16 wide x 7 3/4" tall  (so that they will slip into the headlight pot) then we have very similar headlights. 

I do have extra reflectors if you need them and maybe a source of the tabs. Good luck.

Jim

Edited by 36 D2 Coupe
added info (see edit history)
  • Like 1

thank you, Jim

it does look the same or very similar.  I am not sure why they would have removed the bucket tabs and then paint them???  I would have to figure a way to add the tabs back in without effecting the paint on the outside.  I might experiment with some modern panel bonding or just use the old faithful JB weld.  :P    I will take you up on the source for the tabs. 

Taking a second look at your box of headlight parts, you may indeed have the original trim rings - they are just very difficult to put back on once removed. And the reflector looks original too.  Happy to help you if I can. I know of a wrecking yard in Canada that might have an original power train in the yard but it would need a LOT of work and the shipping would be pricey. Contact French Lake Auto Parts in Annandale MN (sales@frenchlakeautoparts.com) to see what they may have. 

JIm

• Like 1