27,28,29??

Gaetto

Hello folks.  I am new here and to this journey.  I purchased a 1929 Chevy 2 door as listed but I think it’s a 28?  Here are a few pictures.. I am also looking to get it rolling on rubber.  What is the easiest way to get around the issue of the wheels, which seem

to be impossible to find. I have all four center disks but that’s it.  I’m un certain what I will do with this car, but when I saw it I was hooked and bought it the next morning. Also need to title this as some point (Illinois) and it was only a bill of sale. 

IMG_1973.png

IMG_1972.png

IMG_1967.png
IMG_1971.jpeg.7bce41f9994abf89f2c772148aeec46d.jpegIMG_1961.jpeg.eb4b2cd2e4b4b71a59d32264c096e8f6.jpeg

Edited by Gaetto
Spell check (see edit history)

I guess the question is, where do I buy the rest of the wheels to add tires. 

all I have is what you see in the photos. Clearly need some hard parts as well as tubes and tires. 

1928 was the first year for four wheel brakes on Chevrolet. That detail of front wheel brakes can differentiate the 1928 from the 1927. It is definitely not a 1929 model Chevrolet, although as keiser31 mentioned, it might have been registered as a '29.

The steel disc wheels were common on Chevrolet in the mid and late 1920s. While I am a big fan of wooden spoke wheels myself, and very much trust and enjoy driving on the wooden spoke wheels, I will admit that the steel disc wheels are a good thing!

You appear to be missing the "rims", and likely lugs as well as maybe bolts and nuts. The Jaxon style lugs bolts and nuts are fairly common, and shouldn't be difficult to collect a few sets. You do need to figure out the length for the lug bolts you need as they came in several sizes.

The rims you need also came in several sizes. First, you must determine the diameter of the rims you need. And be certain that all four wheels are alike! Measure across the "wheel" to the outer edge of the felly (a new word for you!) where the rims set in upon. The measurement from outer felly to outer felly will be slightly under the tire size. So if the measurement is about 20 1/2 inches to 20 3/4 inches? You need rims for 21 inch tires. Outer felly to outer felly measurement of about 19 1/2 to 19 3/4 inches would need rims for 20 inch tires. The proper tire profile size for a Chevrolet of that era should be about 4.25 or 4.50 X rim/bead size.

The rims do/did come in a variety minor width differences. Chevrolet would use one of the skinnier sizes, but  I don't have one handy to measure it. The Jaxon style steel disc and wooden spoke wheels use the same rims. So that helps you a bit. However, they have become more scarce in recent years. So expect to advertise (parts wanted forum here should help!) and search for awhile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is another one the same - a 1928 National Model AB two door sedan (or coach in GM speak).

Note that one has the plant code T for Tarrytown. Yours has J - I guess was for Janesville, Wisconsin, which opened in 1923 according to The Standard Catalog.

The two-door coach was the biggest selling body style in 1928, with about 350,000 sold.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

That should mean it is a 1927 model.

It is odd that it has no front brakes. Maybe they have been removed for some reason - or sold to a restorer. 

Going by the radiator shell it is a 1928 model. Another determining factor there is that it had 20 hood louvres. The 1927 model had 16. 

A measure of the wheelbase should find that it is 107" rather than 103" as in 1927. 

The reason for the wheelbase extension was the new six-cylinder engine was supposed to be ready put in the 1928 cars but wasn't ready in time. 

Here is a '27 for comparison. 

1927 Chevrolet Sedan 1

• Thanks 1

nz, I thought from memory that it looked much more like I recall the 1928. But it has been a few years since I spent any time around Chevrolets of those years. 

Almost everything is different on the 1928 Chevrolet models. It truly was a one year only model automobile.

A good close inspection might explain the front brakes question?

• Like 1

IMG_4669.JPG.5e68904034752b72afbabb018c1f367b.JPGIt's a shame these old cars are so often left ignored and deteriorating for so long, often to the "point of no return". This car appears to be one of those cases. While finding a sincere hobbyist with good mechanical, carpentry and sheet metal skills can save it (not to mention electrical, upholstering and chroming), the time (2000hours) cost(conservatively $25000) and enthusiasm (endless) will likely make it impossible. Especially when you consider that a car like this in restored decent running order can likely be bought for circa $8K-$15K. Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

I bought this decent 1931 Chevrolet 2 door in 2008 for $4000 (it had been garage stored non-running for 45 years) and after 6 years of rebuilding effort and investing $7000 in outside labour and material/parts, and 1500 hours of my own time, sold it as a good un-painted runner in 2021 for $9000. New owner was a car painter, and it now looks very nice, but still has the classic old car mechanicals issues, difficult starting, sketchy brakes, and 65 year old tires. So my advice, think hard on tackling this 1928.

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG

1931 Chevrolet Deluxe Coach.jpg

IMG_2275B.jpg

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_1480B.jpg

IMG_1487B.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Gunsmoke, thanks for your input.  I realize what an undertaking this is.  I am no stranger to putting time and energy into cars.  I’m currently working on a ground up 66 Corvair for my daughter - converting it to electric and I’ve got 3 years to complete it.  I have a mechanical background (worked as a mechanic in my 20’s) and I’m an electrician by trade. 

I was always into VW’s and had quite a few.  My last one was a 66 Beatle and it needed body work, which I wanted to tackle but the timing wasn’t right and the fear was overwhelming so I sold it.  

I eventually bought a 75 El Camino with the intention of learning bodywork and paint.  I just got that project back on the road 3 weeks ago and I’m quite proud of what I accomplished.  

This car (what I now believe is the 28) as I stated earlier was something I saw and was immediately drawn to, looked at the next morning and purchased it.  Really I had already known it was going to be mine.

For now I am looking into what I can learn about it.  And once I spend the endless hours digging into that, I will determine which direction I will go. I definitely need it to roll, the wheels & tires are a must. 

I appreciate all the input (any), detailed information, and opinions offered. 

I guess what I am saying is I have 3 years to formulate a plan or clean it up, splash some paint on it, and sell it.

But whatever the case, I enjoy the process of discovery and where it leads.  perhaps I am being led to something else?  I feel that’s how it all works and I’m open to receiving whatever that might be. 

It’s not the destination, it’s the journey.   Cliché, I know, but very true. 

Here’s a couple pics of the Vair and the El Camino. 

I have a YT channel that documents the work - learning curve customs

62838530159__7C2A35D9-F8B5-4D5E-8A40-D22969783E42.jpeg

65862589426__CDA20364-C63E-47A6-857B-AE677A673975.jpeg

IMG_1679.jpeg

67615869557__51142C10-8E28-46FC-8BB9-3C87C916AA2E.jpeg

67614838143__600E0CDB-CDDF-4965-8C45-49D2A0FA6401.jpeg

IMG_9458.jpeg

Edited by Gaetto
Spelling- as usual. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have some of the rims you need and possibly some of the bolts and wedges. Would need to know exactly what size wheels you have.

Also,sometime in mid 27 or so the engine went to a two port exhaust manifold and those side covers over the pushrods like you have. Your radiator looks like a 28,I don't know if that winged wheel style was used in 27 but I doubt it. And the 29's were all 6 cylinder,I can't imagine selling a leftover 28 with no front brakes as a 29. It doesn't all add up.

• Like 1

My friend who has a 32 coupe looked under the front end and told me it was rear brakes only.  I’ll have to look in more detail.  Someone along the way had this thing apart and cleaned up the frame and all the steel parts in primer.  There’s definitely more to the story, yet to be figured out.  Here’s a couple pics showing the red oxide primer. 

IMG_1975.png

IMG_1963.jpeg

48 minutes ago, sagefinds said:

I have some of the rims you need and possibly some of the bolts and wedges. Would need to know exactly what size wheels you have.

I’ll get that info and be in touch.  

The radiator is 1928. As said the 27 and 28 manifolds are different too.

For your info the 27 had 4,40x21 tyres and the 28 had 4,50x21 inch tyres. I worked on both models about 15 years ago and can tell you the 27 disc wheels are narrower than the 28 and the same applies to the split rims for the tyres. I don't recall the widths, but someone will know and you will have to find the correct width of split rims to fit your disc wheels.

• Thanks 1

So - I found some information on the HAMB referencing 6 lug wheels that will fit this thing.  Keep in mind, for now I’m looking for a quick/ cheap option to roll this thing around on.  I’ve ordered a test rim and should it work, I can easily get 3 more.  Good thing is I need new tires on my daily so those takeoffs will get mounted as the rollers.  

Hopefully this will give me some peace of mind while I’m getting the information together.  

IMG_1996.png

So I was doing some investigating, and I got some info.  Here are a couple pictures showing the wheel measurements and what I think might be the vin tag?  

The silver rim is what I was obviously testing. The back spacing is 5” and after a few measurements I can see it will allow for only three inches. So I am looking for negative offset or possibly trailer rims. Although if I had to, I could purchase 3 more rims and mount them reversed as shown. 

I have a few weeks to get this rolling on rubber - which I want to be able to roll it on the trailer when it’s time

to bring it home. 

I’d rather get the stock rims to mount the correct tires and tubes (and invest in what I can use) at least that way it’s correct. 

I also confirmed it has front brakes.

IMG_2031.jpeg.8005f7a5a8241083ab3ffe7535b12451.jpeg

IMG_2029.jpeg.a51bd26b39eb9a1df3261aa7e32e3bf4.jpeg

IMG_2030.jpeg.937a2b2f867c985277d3da51ad53f9b1.jpeg

IMG_2027.jpeg.4578d96764b10ad7c3a3eaee6cf3339c.jpegIMG_2037.jpeg.ed7601a57b0c7794f72c17e58e4e5b75.jpeg

IMG_2026.jpeg.4d5811bf20cf3dc5cc4ffc0ff6461341.jpeg

Edited by Gaetto
Adding pics and text (see edit history)