New to Hershey Meet. I have questions!

Rich Moll

Hello All,

I have never been to a Hershey meet. I have been attending Carlisle Meets for decades. Now I am retired and finally have time to attend Hershey!

I have made a hotel reservation in Mechanicsburg and wondered best route to Hershey? Also where can I park? I am mainly interested in the Flea Market.  Any and all help with these questions or any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

THANK YOU!

• Like 1

Parking is run by the Hershey company, not the AACA.  There will be signs directing you to the available parking lots.  They will also be collecting a fee to park your car.

• Like 1

I stay in Harrisburg and take a back way to Hershey by driving east on Union Deposit road to Canal street in the town of Union Deposit.  It's kind of winding, but avoids the major highway traffic.  There is a Hershey parking lot on the left just before Canal street intersects Hershey road.  Park in that lot and you can walk across Hershey road into the Green field.

Wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to do lots of walking!  Many folks drag around a two wheel grocery cart to hold their swap meet booty.  I pack bottles of water and a small folding chair in my grocery cart so that I can stop, sit and rest whenever I want a break.  :)

• Like 1

If you check Hershey region site they have maps of area showing fields &parking lots. Signs will direct you to parking. Show is free parking is not, handicapped parking is by Giant center. As stated good shoes a must, I carry extra socks & water. We enjoy car corral & auction preview at Hershey lodge(can’t afford to buy😎) . If you can stay for the show on Friday you will not be disappointed.

The auction cars will be there Tuesday.  Auction nights are Wednesday and Thursday and a lot of people like to stand outside the auction door that the cars load through so they can see the cars actually driving.  You can watch the auction in the lobby on TV monitors.

• Like 1

Attend the AACA book/literature  sale and author's singing on Tuesday afternoon. It is a great way to support the Club that is the one responsible for all of this annual "feel good" that we can have the rest of the year until the next October. Make sure you tell all the AACA volunteers and staff how much you appreciate their efforts on coping with all they have to for all of the rest of us. GRATITUDE EVERYONE PLEASE. RETURN THE KINDNESS.

• Like 4

On 8/29/2024 at 5:57 PM, Walt G said:

Attend the AACA book/literature  sale and author's singing on Tuesday afternoon. It is a great way to support the Club that is the one responsible for all of this annual "feel good" that we can have the rest of the year until the next October. Make sure you tell all the AACA volunteers and staff how much you appreciate their efforts on coping with all they have to for all of the rest of us. GRATITUDE EVERYONE PLEASE. RETURN THE KINDNESS.

Is the library sale actually in the library?  What time does it start?

If you are new to Fall Hershey I strongly recommend that you purchase a program. The program has maps of each of the fields, a comprehensive list of Flea Market vendors that point to map locations and a list of the registered show cars that will be in the show. It is also a nice keepsake. I buy one every year but that is just me.

• Like 1

Bring cash.....and in multiple denominations. Bring rags and hand cleaner. Plan on several sets of shoes in the event of rain, so you have dry gear. They are LONG days. Freeze in the morning and sunburn in the afternoon. This will be my 53 year.........

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Bring cash.....and in multiple denominations. Bring rags and hand cleaner. Plan on several sets of shoes in the event of rain, so you have dry gear. They are LONG days. Freeze in the morning and sunburn in the afternoon.

Totally true - not just a slight observation.  Guess this is the time and place to let all know how long one has attended - my first trip down was in 1965 in a 1947 Hudson coupe. The whole even was 1 or 2 days at the most then . "Antique "cars were considered brass era and I wanted to own a piece of a brass era car so bought a Neverout  brass side light  that was complete but had not been polished in decades and needed repair. I still have it and eventually found its mate to have a pair.

Rarest thing I ever bought was a 1930-31 Franklin factory accessory catalog, lots of illustrations and included was the factory Dealer's Bulletin that featured accessories for that same era. The accessories catalog had not been used, still had a paper tape binding on the inside pages.  Was laying on a cloth on a very very damp ground in the Blue Field. I reproduced it about 35 years ago and sold the copies for $10 each. Guess I should think about doing that again.

Funniest thing I ever heard was when walking to the car after a long day in the flea market. I was carrying a self generating headlamp made in England by Powell & Hammer. weighed a ton to carry. I bought it from Randy Mason who had a truck full of lamps there to sell for the Henry Ford Museum that were all of European manufacture.  Just before leaving the field ( again blue field) I saw two good ole boys walking in towards me  about 50 feet away. Both were staring at the huge brass headlamp - just as we passed one of them in a thick southern drawl told the other " there ain't enough metal polish in my whole county to clean that".  I had to stop walking as I was laughing so hard I couldn't catch my breath.

• Like 1