1934 Nash 8, not mine.

Here we have a car that potentially could be a stunner, ruined by poor choices in color. I am imagining this car in a dark gray or dark blue with blackwall tires and a correctly done interior. It would not have cost much more to do it that way (nothing more in the case of tires and paint) and would go from a circus wagon to a piece of rolling sculpture. Too bad. That said, if it was 7-8K less I would be in despite the awful color scheme!

• Like 6

The 70’s-80’s were dark times for vintage cars. The level of automotive abuse should be talked about publicly. Only way to stop bad color combo’s is an honest conversation, that will require people opening up and sharing with others how these choices went from a few beers in the garage, to paint in a gun.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

The 70’s-80’s were dark times for vintage cars. The level of automotive abuse should be talked about publicly. Only way to stop bad color combo’s is an honest conversation, that will require people opening up and sharing with others how these choices went from a few beers in the garage, to paint in a gun.

A lot of bad choices were made in the 60's 70's and 80's! I have an "Auto Restoration" book, published in 1968, that advocates "just make it a touring car if the wood in the top is bad. You can still use it in good weather".  Also, "if your rear axel is bad, look for an imported car that has similar width". 

• Like 3

Our tastes must change. Back then I don't remember hearing complaints about those colors. Just look at all the taffy and beige colored cars there were on the road. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Car has been for sale for well over a year.  In addition to the poor color and materials choices I was sent some close up pics and there is plenty of "mud" in that body which is now popping out.    The best one in the world would be worth 25-30k and this one isn't even close.  Asking price is at least 3x what it should be.  Guy inherited from father so has nothing into it so would probably accept a lowball offer at this point.  Would make a good low buck driver if you can live with the interior.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fossil said:

Our tastes must change. Back then I don't remember hearing complaints about those colors. Just look at all the taffy and beige colored cars there were on the road. 

Exactly. Its  easy to knock on these cars that were restored in the 70's and 80's but at least they were, and theyre still around. Maybe 15 years from now people will be tired of looking at black cars and want some vibrant colours again.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Exactly. Its  easy to knock on these cars that were restored in the 70's and 80's but at least they were, and theyre still around. Maybe 15 years from now people will be tired of looking at black cars and want some vibrant colours again.

Most of these cars that were "restored" in the 70's and 80's  were probably too good to restore and should have been left original.  If they had, they'd still be around today and worth more as survivors.   When in doubt paint it black.  It was correct then and still is.  Black always looks appropriate and never goes out of style.   I'm not saying every car should be painted black, but light primer gray over cranberry metallic was a non starter from day one and now limits the appeal of the vehicle.  

11 minutes ago, cjmarzoli said:

Most of these cars that were "restored" in the 70's and 80's  were probably too good to restore and should have been left original.  If they had, they'd still be around today and worth more as survivors.   When in doubt paint it black.  It was correct then and still is.  Black always looks appropriate and never goes out of style.   I'm not saying every car should be painted black, but light primer gray over cranberry metallic was a non starter from day one and now limits the appeal of the vehicle.  

All true, but the market's appreciation of un-restored cars is far greater now than it was then. (Partially because so many received poor "restorations" back then).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

All true, but the market's appreciation of un-restored cars is far greater now than it was then. (Partially because so many received poor "restorations" back then).  

True on both counts!