Is this a factory accessory or aftermarket? 1929 Cadillac dual cowl phaeton. cigarette lighter accessory.

This was on a 29 Cadillac dual cowl phaeton. I was attracted to it as a similar car was my first “frame off” and won the President’s Cup around 1979-80.  I had never come across this in my research 

IMG_3982.jpeg

It appears to be attached to the cigar lighter and it's probably an accessory cigar snuffer, which you probably knew. Members of the younger non-smoking generations may not be aware of the huge variety of smoking accessories for automobiles, businesses, and homes produced when smoking was not only popular but encouraged.

This might be an interesting topic to expand upon.

If my memory is correct this cigar lighter pulled out of the dash with its power cord attached. Interesting device to keep ashes off your suit pants. If you were driving a Cadillac you weren’t wearing Levi’s 

• Like 1

One of my longtime best friends (passed away way too young), who like me had never smoked in his life, was very proud of the excellent condition original 1920s accessory cigar lighter he got for his accessories collection. The return spring-wound cord wheel was nearly five inches in diameter, to be hidden behind the dash. It allowed the wire and lighter to be pulled out about four feet.

While not having the aftermarket ash receiver,

my 1930 Packard does have the pull-cord self-retractable Cigar Lighter.

It works !

Don't remind me how I know !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On my29 Cadillac the cigar lighter was on the right of center on the dash and the retractable cord was long enough to easily reach the driver 

• Like 2

My Pierce has a Hot Head cigar lighter that detaches from the dash once the element is hot.

For years I never realized that the 'head' was removable and often showed the car with the front windows down.

I now either remove the 'head' portion or keep the passenger window up when showing the car.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, zepher said:

My Pierce has a Hot Head cigar lighter that detaches from the dash once the element is hot.

For years I never realized that the 'head' was removable and often showed the car with the front windows down.

I now either remove the 'head' portion or keep the passenger window up when showing the car.

Are you suggesting that some show attendees have "sticky" fingers?

I guess I've just been lucky.

Of course there is the time, back in 1967 when I left my 1948 MG-TC in a warehouse showroom with a consignment firm in NYC,

and the factory gear shift knob walked away before I sold the car myself through a New York Times newspaper ad.

2 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Are you suggesting that some show attendees have "sticky" fingers?

I guess I've just been lucky.

Of course there is the time, back in 1967 when I left my 1948 MG-TC in a warehouse showroom with a consignment firm in NYC,

and the factory gear shift knob walked away before I sold the car myself through a New York Times newspaper ad.

I was wondering why he made the comment about leaving the window up vs. down now I understand!

By coincidence I talked to a guy at a show that had an early MG, he said he had a radiator cap with some kind of special ornament stolen at a show!  I cant imagine the gull it takes to do something like that. No matter how long or hard I have been looking for a part I would never even dream of the idea of pilfering it off a car at a show. Or anywhere else for that matter (Unless its a junkyard).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

I cant imagine the gull (gall?) it takes to do something like that. No matter how long or hard I have been looking for a part I would never even dream of the idea of pilfering it off a car at a show. Or anywhere else for that matter (Unless its a junkyard).

Are you inferring that it's OK to steal a part from a junkyard but NOT from a private party or anywhere else?  No wonder why many parts businesses are increasingly restricting access, much less the customer's ability to remove parts from the inventory. Sad.

A friend in Amarillo had a couple of ornaments removed from his early cars during an AACA tour several years ago.  If you view my collection you will see generic radiator caps on all my Cadillacs.  Today anything not tied down may walk off IMHO

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

Are you inferring that it's OK to steal a part from a junkyard but NOT from a private party or anywhere else?  No wonder why many parts businesses are increasingly restricting access, much less the customer's ability to remove parts from the inventory. Sad.

NO I AM NOT!  I have never stolen a thing in my life. What is sad is that you misinterpret a generic post and pretty much call me a thief!! Although I have been stolen from plenty of times. My Inference was that I cannot imagine the mind set of someone that would willy nilly take something off of someone else's car, IF I were to take something from a junkyard car it would go through their office and paid for.

• Thanks 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Is this a factory accessory or aftermarket? 1929 Cadillac dual cowl phaeton. cigarette lighter accessory.
8 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I was wondering why he made the comment about leaving the window up vs. down now I understand!

By coincidence I talked to a guy at a show that had an early MG, he said he had a radiator cap with some kind of special ornament stolen at a show!  I cant imagine the gull it takes to do something like that. No matter how long or hard I have been looking for a part I would never even dream of the idea of pilfering it off a car at a show. Or anywhere else for that matter (Unless its a junkyard).

Back in the 70's, on a tour with the Roaring 20's Car Club, my dad had the gas cap stolen off his Rickenbacker while parked at a restaurant.

The cars were even parked right along the windows we were seated at.

We have never seen another for sale and the few Rickenbackers we have seen have a plain cap, not the one with the Hat in the Ring emblem.

During the 2006 PAS meeting in Oregon, one of the cars on tour had the Archer mascot swiped while parked on the main street of a small town.

The archer on my Pierce has a chain attached to it to help thwart theft.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TAKerry said:

NO I AM NOT!  I have never stolen a thing in my life. What is sad is that you misinterpret a generic post and pretty much call me a thief!! Although I have been stolen from plenty of times. My Inference was that I cannot imagine the mind set of someone that would willy nilly take something off of someone else's car, IF I were to take something from a junkyard car it would go through their office and paid for.

I'm glad you cleared that up. All I saw was what you wrote, and it really bothered me. Honesty is always the best policy, but, as others are saying, an ounce of prevention is still worth a pound of cure.

• Like 1

Along with wanting my cars to look era correct, proper type colors and likely era accessories, I also like to look like I belong to my cars. So, I have quite a bit of original era clothing and hats as well as some newer versions that look right. 

About fifty years ago, I found one of the most beautiful Homberg hats I ever did see. Everything about it was early style, the crown , the ribbon, the flawless curl of the brim, beautiful. And it happened to fit me perfectly!

I went to an antique automobile meet along with several friends where about a hundred other cars plus spectators were going to be. Because the car I was driving was very open, and not really right for a Homberg hat, I wore a wide early style sport cap (which I still have!) while driving and for part of the day. But because my car was so open, we put the Homberg which I wanted for the costume contest later, in my friend's mid 1920s sedan. The door locks on his sedan did not work (a common failure due to pot metal in the lock mechanism). During the show, someone went into his car and stole my hat! We won the costume contest with me wearing the sport cap (an early style that hasn't been available in a very long time).

So yeah, it happens, a lot more than it should. I could relate a dozen recollections of things being stolen from friends and myself.

For fifty years I have been trying to find another really right Homberg hat that fits me. For many years I routinely even kept a watch on eBay (quit using eBay about five years ago). I have plenty of other 1910s and 1920s style hats if I ever want to wear one again. But I really liked that Homberg.

And if you want an idea of how that early style sport cap looked? Look at the caricature on the early "Oilzum" signs! By the way, Harold Lloyd often wore such a cap in his early movies. That style of sport cap was sometimes called "the big apple". I also looked good wearing it.

• Like 2