Automobile History - article - issue is from August 1953

One of the very best collections of vehicle emblems /car badges is in Kent, England and the collection belongs to Murray and Mike Shears. They are great friends of Terry Bond and myself and I have visited them often and have seen the collection in person - amazing.

There is a website ( americanautoemblems.com) that Mike Shears runs and it is goldmine of facts, images and history Both the Shears father and son attend Hershey each year and many times they managed to get to visit me as well here on long island.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Going through my collection of G.M. Folks Magazines one last time before offering them for sale.

LOTS of good articles such as this one, but I cannot keep everything; having to downsize.

Still wish this forum would accept Adobe PDF files, like the rest of the world has for the last 30 years or so. It would make posting MUCH easier.

Jon

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mechanician said:

Not surprisingly, looks like "Ford" was a bad word in that GM publication...wouldn't want to say anything good about a fellow "Detroit car maker"!

Are you thinking that "Ford" is a 4-letter word? ;) And I currently own 3 of them, and 1 GM

Jon

On 7/6/2024 at 8:21 PM, CChinn said:

Thanks for sharing. I wonder if Terry Bond has an original of each of the car emblems. 

Sorry for the delay in replying but have pretty busy lately. No, I certainly don't have an emblem collection.  There are a few in a display case here but I've not really collected them - at least not seriously.  Somehow, I always managed to find a few interesting examples at swap meets and sometimes an antique shop, but I just have too many other things competing for the spare bucks here.  Prices have gone nutz like a lot of other things.  I do enjoy the emblems though, and will not pass up a bargain. 

As Walt G mentioned, Mike and Murray Shears have one of the best collections that I know of and the website Mike maintains is a wealth of infomation about them. 

Terry

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2024 at 3:41 PM, mechanician said:

Not surprisingly, looks like "Ford" was a bad word in that GM publication...wouldn't want to say anything good about a fellow "Detroit car maker"!

Ford was actually a GM customer for some of their options & accessories around that time.

Lincoln purchased Hydramatic transmissions from dear old GM, and the Autronic Eye from GM's Delco Division.  They didn't want to bite the hand than fed them, either.

Craig

2 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Jaguar bought GM transmissions, Volvo bought GM a/c systems, Chrysler bought GM steering gears, Packard bought GM parts, and the list goes on with the different companies buying parts from each other.

And so did Rolls-Royce assemble them under license, and Ferrari 400 also used the Hydromatic in the 1970's.  Rolls-Royce also used GM's Comfortron as did Audi, but it was a lot of strain on that 5-cylinder engine.

Today, I don't think many European automakers are buying parts from the various GM divisions, anymore!!  

Craig

12 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Rolls-Royce also used GM's Comfortron as did Audi

Wonder if it worked any better for them than it did for GM?

My experience with Comfortron is that some will work as designed and flawlessly, and others simply will not no matter what you do to fix them.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Automobile History - article - issue is from August 1953