1934 Packard Twelve 1107 Club Sedan on BaT Again!

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Sold for $85,500! Holy crap!

The repaint just paid for itself.

Matt, I can’t believe whoever bought this car the first time had an issue with the color after he got it home, I mean most of us had to look away from the monitor so our eyes could adjust when we would check on the auction. My theory is that the buyer found a running or driving issue with the car. You and I both have experience with a uncooperative Twelve’s and if the cost of a complete paint would scare a potential buyer away from this car, just think how fast they would run with a engine that maybe has a little tap noise? Of course I could be wrong and perhaps the first BAT owner may have had a family emergency and needed to sell,

• Like 1

122k to 85k...........typical car's return on investment. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, ramair said:

Matt, I can’t believe whoever bought this car the first time had an issue with the color after he got it home, I mean most of us had to look away from the monitor so our eyes could adjust when we would check on the auction. My theory is that the buyer found a running or driving issue with the car. You and I both have experience with a uncooperative Twelve’s and if the cost of a complete paint would scare a potential buyer away from this car, just think how fast they would run with a engine that maybe has a little tap noise? Of course I could be wrong and perhaps the first BAT owner may have had a family emergency and needed to sell,

Well, the seller claimed he was selling it to make room for something else that was showing up later this month. However, you can buy a LOT of storage for the $40,000 haircut he just took. I don't know why he would give it away like that unless there was something else afoot. The MIA oil pressure, which he claimed was just the gauge, may have been a factor. A hurt engine would explain a lot, but on BaT, not disclosing something like that is a great way to get burned at the stake. On the other hand, maybe he's a one-and-done seller and who cares?

You may be on to something...

Probably the best or one of the best cars ever made in America, certainly one of the very best cars one could have in 1934.

• Like 2

While I know nothing about the car except one should not look at it without sun glasses, on another site it was said the car needs a bunch of work, was done on the cheap, and another half dozen issues……………

• Like 2

There were mechanical issues according to John Lauter, who knows the car and owner who had it restored many moons ago. Basically, its engine was done by a "gas station" type mechanic, just good enough to make it run back in the day. New owner is looking at a $75k overhaul, plus a $100k paint job. 

My brother just recently sold a much more desirable 40,000-mile 1935 Packard Twelve convertible victoria in ready to tour condition for $165k, so you can see how the terribly done sedan is a terrible investment.

IMG_7361.JPG

IMG_7365.JPG

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

There were mechanical issues according to John Lauter, who knows the car and owner who had it restored many moons ago. Basically, its engine was done by a "gas station" type mechanic, just good enough to make it run back in the day. New owner is looking at a $75k overhaul, plus a $100k paint job. 

My brother just recently sold a much more desirable 40,000-mile 1935 Packard Twelve convertible victoria in ready to tour condition for $165k, so you can see how the terribly done sedan is a terrible investment.

IMG_7361.JPG

IMG_7365.JPG

Nice car!  Have I already given you a hard time about the wheels?   I forget.   Although I'm living in a glass house while throwing stones.

IMG_8903.JPG

• Like 5