Bring a trailer - 1920 Dodge Brothers Model 30 Roadster Project- not mine

Me whispering to myself
Oh boy....the last trip the wife and I took back east we ended up in Ohio for a parts stash....

do I dare?

"HONEY"!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

Our road trips always involve parts pick ups. There is no other reason to go anywhere is there. 

I don't like driving 40 miles to Bangor for supplies or appointments but will never regret traveling 11,000 miles to get an oil pressure gauge.

21 minutes ago, nearchoclatetown said:

If I was young enough this would be exactly the condition I'd want to be buying a car in.

I think that's the perfect car for an aspiring geezer.  I'd give it a mechanical once over, scuff up the new linoleum, add some road dust to the cleaned up spokes and drive it.  

• Haha 3

Thanks Axial, that is a beauty. Will see what it eventually goes for?

Bring a trailer always seems to post great pictures that are of an enlargeable quality for the interested, and nosy. 

Looks ready to roll, if not start, of course after recommended pre start procedures to minimise chance of damage.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

If I was young enough this would be exactly the condition I'd want to be buying a car in.

Your not that old Doug I’m sure you can squeeze another car in there somewhere. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Minibago said:

If only my trailer could travel on water, could you pick it up for me Nat and bring it with you on your next trip please?

That's a great idea!  The best I've heard since October.

The brakes are well greased, it looks like the left,  (maybe the right also), rear spokes are loose and the head gasket might be leaking coolant.  It's in such great original condition that, (to my warped way of thinking), restoring it would be a felony offense.

No doubt it has plenty of other problems but it appears to be a rare find.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mattml430 said:

Your not that old Doug I’m sure you can squeeze another car in there somewhere. 

Only if I wanted to sleep in it. I am sure an expert will correct me but I think the upholstry is correct.  It's going to take more then 2800 to buy it Axial.

Edited by nearchoclatetown (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, nearchoclatetown said:

It's going to take more then 2800 to buy it 

True, but with 20 hours left on the auction I'm sure he's sweating it after what he paid for it previously.

Does anyone know why he's selling it again so soon? Something isn't jiving...

1 hour ago, nearchoclatetown said:

I am sure an expert will correct me but I think the upholstry is correct. 

I'm no expert either but the way the upholstery is cracked looks like that old covered with something canvas.  It looks decent and less out of place than glossy vinyl but I don't think it's leather.  

I hope I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Only if I wanted to sleep in it.

Too small for that.  I'll have to get a berth in steerage.

Hammer dropped at $6,790…..What a bargain, I knew I should have bid on it.  @Lahti35  I believe you are the winner?  If so congratulations!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Axial_Flow said:

Hammer dropped at $6,790…..What a bargain, I knew I should have bid on it.  @Lahti35  I believe you are the winner?  If so congratulations!

I am the winner. I actually just happened on BAT 3 hours before the end of the auction and stumbled upon it... I thought about it during lunch and with 13 minutes to go I placed a bid only to be told my credit card info had to be updated, lol. I hadn't been on BAT for some time! After frantically updating my info I commenced bidding. I didn't figure I had much of a shot with how much the car went for the last time it was sold but I guess it was meant to be. Don't think I can go wrong with this one.

I've been after a DB for a number of years but something always nixed the deal. This looks like a car that's had work done to it over 104 years but that's ok... I plan to clean it and get it going again over the summer. I'll post some pics when I collect it after the holiday. I started a thread on it in the "our cars and restorations" section. 

Looks like the car was built in the middle of August 1920... Would Book of Information #14 be the correct one to get?

Edited by Lahti35 (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on the purchase, you did good. I would get it home ASAP. I will look at BofI list but you want the one printed JUST before the car was built, 14 sounds close. Join the DBC if you are not a member, we have a ton of literature we keep at AACA library. 

• Like 2

Yes, 14 would be correct. They were changing the cars so often they had 3 or 5 different manuals per year. If you don't have one a copy can be gotten from AACA library. Not a lot of 1920 or 21 DBs out there. BTW, the club will be in Brooking, S. D. middle of June if you're not doing anything, like working.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My 1920 is February so I would need the 13th edition Book of Information. I got the 1914-1927 Mechanics Instruction Manual, lots of them on eBay, which seems to be fine for most repair questions. The Dodge Brothers Club web site is pretty much not working, my computer malware will not let me access the page even if I make an exception. There is a breakdown there of what serial numbers need which Book of Information. There are 2 good Facebook pages, one is connected with the club. 

Edited by Mark Gregush (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Lahti35 said:

I am the winner.

Congratulations and thanks for keeping it off my list of non deductible dependents.

It looks like a rare find and I'm pleased to think you might patch it up without going down the full restoration rabbit hole.

My 24' tourer was resurrected after after an early 60's smash up so it isn't as pristine as your roadster.  Just the same, it gets a lot of attention at the few meets I've attended.  I even won a third place trophy in a two contestant competition.

I'm still wondering if the upholstery is original and if the rear wheel spokes are loose.

Keep us posted.

Nat

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mark Gregush said:

My 1920 is February so I would need the 13th edition Book of Information. I got the 1914-1927 Mechanics Instruction Manual, lots of them on eBay, which seems to be fine for most repair questions. The Dodge Brothers Club web site is pretty much not working, my computer malware will not let me access the page even if I make an exception. There is a breakdown there of what serial numbers need which Book of Information. There are 2 good Facebook pages, one is connected with the club. 

I'm able to use some of the stuff on the DB Club so far... As soon as I get the car home i'll pick up some literature. I've been a member of those facebook pages on and off over the years when looking for a DB, currently I'm joined up. Lots of great info around! I'm sure I'll be spending some cash with Romar and Myers shortly! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, nat said:

Congratulations and thanks for keeping it off my list of non deductible dependents.

It looks like a rare find and I'm pleased to think you might patch it up without going down the full restoration rabbit hole.

My 24' tourer was resurrected after after an early 60's smash up so it isn't as pristine as your roadster.  Just the same, it gets a lot of attention at the few meets I've attended.  I even won a third place trophy in a two contestant competition.

I'm still wondering if the upholstery is original and if the rear wheel spokes are loose.

Keep us posted.

Nat

I'm itching to get eye's on it myself and give it a good cleaning. I haven't seen a DB at my local car shows since the 90's, mostly muscle cars now. I'd really like to take it to the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village but time will tell if it's up to the task!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Looks like you already have a few fans gathering around :) 

She's right at home!

My fan club is always interested in new stuff, they approve!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Good for you, glad the deal worked out. I think you have a winner. 

The seller was a very nice guy, even gave me a new battery and some oil he had bought for the dodge. It was nice to meet him. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mattml430 said:

Well done keep us up to date with the progress on it. 

Will do. The main recommissioning thread is over on the "Our Cars and Restorations" sub forum, i'll be doing updating there.

You should change the title from not mine to it's mine now !:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...