Award-Winning 1927 Stearns-Knight Model G-8-85 Cabriolet - Hemmings Auction now at $36K reserve not met - 19 hrs to go

Posted (edited)

Not mine…beautiful rare car previously discussed elsewhere in the AACA forums.

Hemmings auction ending in 19 hrs; now at $36,000 reserve not met

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1927-stearns-knight-other-east-orwell-oh-281824

Per owner:

This CCCA Full Classic, fully restored, award winning 1927 Stearns-Knight G-8-85 Cabriolet is believed to be the only surviving example of this chassis, engine, and body combination in existence, and was formerly part of the legendary Harrah’s Automobile Collection in Reno, Nevada. The F.B. Stearns Company of Cleveland, Ohio, manufactured its first automobile in 1898. In 1911, Stearns acquired the first American patent for the sleeve-valve engine invented by Charles Knight, and all Stearns-Knight automobiles henceforth used engines of that design. Stearns produced the engine in both four and six cylinders prior to 1927, when the G-8 inline-eight cylinder was added as the top of the line. Stearns-Knight automobiles competed directly with Packard and Cadillac at the highest end of the American market.

The automobile offered here was reportedly first sold in Boise, Idaho. After passing through several owners, it became part of the Harrah Collection and was sold to an English buyer during Harrah’s 1978 auction. Noted collectors Patterson and Anne Barnes (the granddaughter of Frank B. Stearns) returned the car to the U.S. in 1994 and commissioned a long-term professional frame-off restoration. The Stearns-Knight was rewarded with multiple National Awards beginning in 2007, and became part of the seller’s collection in 2009, where it has continued to be maintained and presented to the same high standard. In describing the car and restoration the seller identifies that: “Everything is as original as humanly possible.”

IMG_1949.jpeg.7d7ac8d7488f4bdafa1968d569712fd6.jpegIMG_1950.jpeg.9e2de4977a928a3e4e391e6fa7c55031.jpegIMG_1951.jpeg.d641522a644e95904abc125f1c0704be.jpegIMG_1952.jpeg.18312849666818b570593f2ac105d480.jpeg

Edited by kar3516 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Not many people follow the Hemmings  auctions and if they do normal searching is done only for the marque of interest.  I stumbled onto this car because I happened to search all ongoing Hemmings auctions

9 hours ago, John Bloom said:

This car has been discussed previously........Waiting for @alsancle AJ to weigh in.  I think he had a favorable perspective on the car...

This is a fantastic car that will be sold for a fraction of the restoration costs and the car itself thrown in for free.    The circus wheels need to be fixed but otherwise you don't need to do a thing.

1.   It is the only known example and one of 2 known eight cylinder conv coupes of all years.

2.  It has the first version of the big 385 Stearns sleeve vale engine that was used on the later H and J series cars.

3.  This is exactly the kind of car I love.   Big, full Classic, obscure, rare, awesome powerplant and somebody else wrote all the checks!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

In the comments, the seller eds67 notes: "

"Note for potential buyers: I do have unrestored Buffalo wire wheels and the parts needed to install them available as well."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

In the comments, the seller eds67 notes: "

"Note for potential buyers: I do have unrestored Buffalo wire wheels and the parts needed to install them available as well."

I love that!

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I love that!

A.J.:

This would be a great stable mate for your Brunn.  I think the body is by Phillips Custom Body Co. Warren, Ohio.  They were a production body-maker in spite of their name but developed and specialized in convertible coupes and convertible sedans.  Their quality was high enough to supply not only Stearns-Knight but also Stutz and Pierce-Arrow, et al.  Briggs brought the company into its fold during 1928 for their expertise in convertible engineering and construction.

Steve

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

$36,000 bid with only hours left ?   No wonder reserve is not met. What is this Stearn's realistically worth AJ ?  Triple that ?

I would hope it’s worth more than the current high bid.  Unique cars exist in narrow markets. Sometimes it’s just timing. If I wasn’t broke, I would at a minimum be paying a visit to Ohio to check it out.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the Knight engine seems to really work against these cars. Their reputation ; deserved or not, can't be overlooked.  Otherwise based on the car itself these would in the first rank for their era.

This car is an interesting study of "Worth" and why it brakes down on a truly "rare" car.

The problem is that not only are these cars very rare, so are their followers when you get to the level of this car. Maybe at some point the owner of this car will decide to let it go for a seemingly low number to "a good home", or maybe it will come up at auction again and two large egos will battle it to the stratosphere. Worth is a pretty squishy concept, and in the end is just a collection of data points on different dates. 

The knight engine is very dependable and can certainly be made to not smoke.   If you let it sit for 10 years without running you may have a problem.   This is one of those things where guys are afraid of what they don't know.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Btw,  the back of the car needs to come down about 4 inches.  That will also make a big difference.

AJ, I remember your commentary about this car a while back. I should probably go reread that thread. I love the car. The small production numbers of it............. I’m just a sucker for that stuff. What is the wheelbase of this car?

19 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

AJ, I remember your commentary about this car a while back. I should probably go reread that thread. I love the car. The small production numbers of it............. I’m just a sucker for that stuff. What is the wheelbase of this car?

John,  I think it is 137.  I believe somebody mentioned that when they stuffed the eight cylinder engine in to the big six chassis they need to push the radiator forward to accommodate it.    I agree with you.  I love it.   I would change the wheels, fix the rear springs and lose the red piping.   Then it would be perfect.

For comparison,  this is what the H8-90 Convertible Coupe looks like in 28/29.

1929-stearns-knight-convertible-coupe.jpg

• Like 1

Great looking car, and at 137, plenty of length to make sure you don’t miss her when she pulls up in front of the theater or opera (or in my case the coffee shop).

this car makes me think about the critical aspect of color. I suppose we could talk forever about color but it is huge. I agree, lose the red. 

I have a strong bias for roadsters over convertible coupes simply because of the rake angle.  I realize however, it’s purely based on the visual look as a spectator. I wonder from the driving position behind the wheel if I might actually prefer a convertible coupe over a roadster. 

another car I wish a buddy would buy. 

• Haha 2

Even in that period picture, the rear fender has a huge gap above the rear tire.

Great looking car, overall.

I wouldn't quibble with the color too much if it was mine, I'd just want to drive it as often as possible.

For reference, The Automotive History Review, Fall 2002, Issue Number 39, publication of The Society of Automotive Historians, inc. contains an extensive article titled "The Luxury Car Market in the 1920s: Competition, Efficiency, and the Case of Stearns-Knight" by Robert Ebert and Jaclyn R. Gribben. pages 8-25.   According to the production table Appendix A, page 23, production of the G-8-85 spanned 1927-'28 for a total of 641 cars.    Back issues of their publications are available from The Society of Automotive Historians, inc.