Nickel Era car fuel tanks

BobinVirginia

With many car builders in the early 20’s buying engines and components from suppliers. Were there common suppliers of gas tanks? Or was that something built in house? I’m in need of a tank for a 1921 Haynes Model 50 and looking for parts specific to the model is useless. I was wondering if a common replacement could be found somewhere like Hershey? Thought I’d ask before endeavoring into fabrication. 

I have been doing Rochester in tank gauges and they fit Hupmobile, Franklin and Stirling-Knight. Not sure if the actual tanks are the same though.

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I’ve got some time before it’s needed. Hopefully I can find a tank that’ll fit and looks appropriate. If not, it’s gonna be fabricated. I’m really lucky that the only things missing from the car are the tank, horn and one wheel rim. 

Thanks, mine is a rear mounted tank. I’m sure someone here could be looking for that tank! I need to measure the brackets again thoroughly. Luckily the straps are still there. I’m currently taking inventory of everything I need so hopefully when the engine and driveline is ready I can put it to the street quickly 

@BobinVirginia I'll PM you contact info (later today) on a father-son Pierce team in FL who reproduced a number of gas tanks for Pierce series 80 a few years ago.  They have a local vendor who built them.  That would be much closer to you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grimy said:

@BobinVirginia I'll PM you contact info (later today) on a father-son Pierce team in FL who reproduced a number of gas tanks for Pierce series 80 a few years ago.  They have a local vendor who built them.  That would be much closer to you.

Grimy has the best idea, you can look around and maybe find something close, but then you get to deal with 2 issues. 1 is adapting and the other is dealing with rust, leaks on a hundred year old tank.  Best money you will spend is having a new tank fabricated

• Like 2

One thing to note on having a tank made, should you end up going that direction… none of the sheet metal shops around me would make a fuel tank… all were happy to make a “water tank” to the exact specs and reusing the fittings from the old gas tank I brought in. Some steered you towards the correct verbiage… all accepted it. 

49 minutes ago, gossp said:

One thing to note on having a tank made, should you end up going that direction… none of the sheet metal shops around me would make a fuel tank… all were happy to make a “water tank” to the exact specs and reusing the fittings from the old gas tank I brought in. Some steered you towards the correct verbiage… all accepted it. 

Ahh - the litigious world we live in. I guess I will need to call the T Ford tanks I am doing for a pal "liquid storage vessels" - up to him the liquid he uses - "I have no control over that your honour".

Steve

• Haha 1

How nice it is when Forum members "Step up to the plate"  and help guide fellow members in the right direction.  Perhaps the 6 O'clock news is wrong and there  are many "Good People" left.

• Like 2