Possibly the Ultimate Model T Speedster

This car is in Gooding's auction of the Mullin collection. Built by Charles Montier and possibly a chassis used in his Le Mans entry of 1925. Note 4 wheel brakes, and OHV conversion of his own manufacture. Previously in the Schlumpf collection. 

https://www.goodingco.com/lot/c-1925-ford-montier-model-t-speedster/

this Model T Speedster is equipped with special features including a unique Montier overhead-valve cylinder head and oiling system, twin Solex carburetors, magneto ignition, and three-speed overdrive gearbox. Additionally, it is outfitted with French instrumentation, a modified fabric body, believed to have been added later, with a streamlined, staggered seating position, engine turned aluminum hood, lightweight fenders and running boards, and artillery style wheels which are also believed to have been added at a later date.  While the modified Ford is not currently in running condition, it appears remarkably intact and would make a wonderful addition to any Ford or early race car collection. Estimate $ 10,000 - $ 20,000

1925_Ford_Montier_T_Speciale_Roadster_11_ehauop.jpg1925_Ford_Montier_T_Speciale_Roadster_2_gia1vf.jpg1925_Ford_Montier_T_Speciale_Roadster_7_ovtmwn.jpg1925_Ford_Montier_T_Speciale_Roadster_22_r6tdio.jpg

Edited by Leif in Calif
pushed Post too soon! (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Thats a cool car, and I usually dont care too much for speedsters. The line 'possibly a chassis used in his LeMans entry' sounds like bidders bait to me. IF it was then say so. Gooding is reputable and you would think if its 'possible' then confirm it and it may draw more money?

• Like 2

Charles Montier was a Ford dealer in France following the first world war (I don't recall offhand exactly when he began dealing in Fords?). Along with the business of importing standard model Ts, Montier enjoyed racing, and used racing to publicize his product. That he built his own overhead valve heads for the model T engine is a known fact! I am not an expert on them, but this does look like pictures I have seen before.

He built some number of special racing cars, keeping and racing several of them himself, and selling others which were raced all over Europe, England, and various colonies.

There are about a handful of real Montier Ford racing cars surviving today. One is owned by a fellow in Australia that has frequented the MTFCA forum off and on for years! A few years ago, he wrote a book about Charles Montier and his racing Fords! I highly recommend that book!

Among other places, it can be found on Amazon, link:

(I am not endorsing Amazon, but they do have a nice presentation about the book)

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-Montier-French-racing-Fords/dp/B0B6L3Q5TW

Charles Montier began racing Fords in the model T era, and continued into the early V8 era 1930s

I do not know this car personally, and cannot verify its provenance. But it looks pretty right in the photos from the pictures of other Montier racing Fords I have seen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Im not suggesting its not one of his creations, but the wording of "possible" for Le Mans sounds like click bait to me. To me its like, 'we know he built the car, we know he raced in Le Mans, SO it could be possible that he raced this particular car there'. Not knowing indeed if it was. Otherwise just call it a Montier race car and let it be at that. I know nothing about these things but I certainly have heard of LeMans and know its a world class event. Even as much as I would think the provenance would add value. Some dummy like me may get duped into buying this for that reason only to find out it never raced there.

• Like 2

Just now, TAKerry said:

Im not suggesting its not one of his creations, but the wording of "possible" for Le Mans sounds like click bait to me. To me its like, 'we know he built the car, we know he raced in Le Mans, SO it could be possible that he raced this particular car there'. Not knowing indeed if it was. Otherwise just call it a Montier race car and let it be at that. I know nothing about these things but I certainly have heard of LeMans and know its a world class event. Even as much as I would think the provenance would add value. Some dummy like me may get duped into buying this for that reason only to find out it never raced there.

Auction descriptions need to be read looking for what is NOT said,  and ignore what is said.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Thats a cool car, and I usually dont care too much for speedsters. The line 'possibly a chassis used in his LeMans entry' sounds like bidders bait to me. IF it was then say so. Gooding is reputable and you would think if its 'possible' then confirm it and it may draw more money?

The seller didn't add that part about Le Mans, I did.

I've had a few conversations with Chris  Martin, the author of the book Wayne wrote about. That's his opinion, (or at least hope).   Although he tried, he was not able to view this car when the Mullin museum was operating. It was in storage and they were not at all cooperative. I haven't heard from him in a year or more but I imagine he'll be bidding, and then we'll hopefully all find out. 

About 15 years ago, the late racing driver Tony Dron wrote a piece in one of the British magazines about driving a similar car at the LeMans Classic . He raced at Le Mans four times and once hit over 220 mph in qualifying, so it was quite a new experience for him to streak down the Mulsanne straight at 75 MPH. 

• Like 3

Wayne- Thank you for the great write up on the Charles Montier and his Model Ts. I love the engine-cross flow overhead valve head, twin ignition magneto, side draft carburetors, front plate oil pump, and NO starter!! And then there is the four wheel brakes and three speed transmission with overdrive too! This is an important Model T racecar with great history. Hopefully, it will be bought and returned to France. 

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

Thank you motoringicons, 

I saw the thread title, "possibly the ultimate model T speedster" and immediately thought "oh great, I wonder what kind of pile of junk someone put together this time?" Seen too many of them. But I clicked in and scrolled down to the photos and----  what a pleasant surprise! I knew in an instant what it was.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2024 at 5:21 AM, alsancle said:

Auction descriptions need to be read looking for what is NOT said,  and ignore what is said.

My favorite lot is the model T "torpeádo"...talk about a stretch...

• 2 weeks later...

Reported on the MTFCA forum that this wonderful real deal sold for $24K. Chris Martin, the author of the book on the Montier Ford racing cars, was not the buyer, but did post the update on the car having sold.

I haven't yet heard  who did buy the car. I hope they appreciate its special place in the history of era speedsters and racing cars (this one is both, a speedster and a true racing car).

This car needs an appropriate amount of restoration/preservation, and should then be driven and shown often.

For any wanting to see a few comments about the car and sale;

https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42790

• Like 1