1917 Kelsey prototype

I am the present owner of the 1917 Kelsey Friction Drive prototype. I’m working to restore it to the best of my ability and with all of the information I’ve been provided in part on this site, however I am at a great loss to know what fenders, cowl, radiator, etc. he originally used in its construction. Attached are the specifics on the radiator itself in hopes that one of you will be able to identify what car manufacturer Was used as the basis for his prototype. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you may notice that the rear fenders have a little flip up in the rear of them. As a whole they do not have the typical stamped rib that most fenders of the period for stiffening as well as aesthetics. The running boards as you’ll notice are a rubberized Matt with a perimeter metal trim.

although wheels and tires are model T Ford, the front axle is very small and light and not model T.   It does appear that the front horns of the side rails of the chassis had been cut off, perhaps to adapt the C channel crossmember that the radiator sits on. The chassis side rails are straight.

I Believe that from all of the characteristics that it is very early chassis and body parts that was used.  I have searched all archives I have available been unable to determine what they’re from.

IMG_1151.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by DavidWhite (see edit history)

David, Have you tried to start the motor yet// ???  I wouldnt get all hung up on the questions you have posted/ Those answers are most likely lost  to time. Keep in mind what the purpose of the build was..... to demonstrate and prove the  friction drive and unique differential. I would clean it up, reassemble in its current state and get it runnable.  Its a unique piece , show it off as is!! The car is more valuable and unique as is then with new paint and lipstick! Mike West

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mikewest said:

David, Have you tried to start the motor yet// ???  I wouldnt get all hung up on the questions you have posted/ Those answers are most likely lost  to time. Keep in mind what the purpose of the build was..... to demonstrate and prove the  friction drive and unique differential. I would clean it up, reassemble in its current state and get it runnable.  Its a unique piece , show it off as is!! The car is more valuable and unique as is then with new paint and lipstick! Mike West

Right O! if you could get it to the drivable chassis point, it would be stellar!  Here's a chassis at Pebble Beach:

Bugattis were often driven in this form to the coach builders. 

35_Bugatti-Type-57_Chassis-DV-09_PBC_03.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for your input. Yes George Albright and I have communicated often on this project. He is a wealth of knowledge on this and many other treasures.

I have been working to get the engine running. Presently it’s partially tore down. The engine is loose and the bearings appear to still be in very good shape but I have limited compression. The carburetor is rebuilt and the radiator appears to be in good shape.

I have been able to get the pedals and leakages working again for the driveline but I have no information regarding how the two different sets of brakes were controlled as there are no linkages, shafts, or even an indication of where they would have been mounted in the driver area in order to operate. primary breaking system is a rocky mountain type brake that is mounted on the outside of the rear wheel drum. Also, a brake mechanism on each side of the driveshaft clearly would have had to be synchronized as Each side is a separate shaft that is geared down to drive the wheels. 

I agree that this is a unique piece of machinery and history for the automobile industry, and therefore would like to be as original as possible.  I will continue to post some photographs for everybody with the progress I’m making. I have yet to find any indication of any other existing, Kelsey friction drive vehicles to look at as examples. If anybody is aware of one, please let me know.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Can someone explain the significance of this auto? 'In laymens terms, not the technical stuff', lol.

It looks to me like the drive shaft spins a friction disc at the rear?

This is the second prototype by this early automobile inventor. And yes, the friction drive is all about a disk at the end of the driveshaft that is stationary, other than rotating, and a disk on the axle that can be moved with a pedal closer to the center of the rotating driveshaft. The closer it is moved to the center the faster rotates. It’s an interesting technology that was used by a number of other car manufacturers, and never made it to the end.

The other fact is it appears to be the only four wheel Kelsey that I have been able to locate in existence. There is a great deal of backstory information regarding it and its history but I haven’t been able to get any information confirmed regarding the original body and chassis. I have found that Thomas Edison University in Pennsylvania has a building on its campus, called the Kelsey complex that appears to have been donated by Mr. Kelsey to the university on behalf of his wife and family. I’m hoping they have an archive that may have records of Mr. Kelsey‘s work.

Additionally, I have found out that Kelsey had an earlier automobile venture he ultimately called the Spartan and that ended in 1910 as a result of his financial backers withdrawing when Henry Ford began dropping his selling price to a point that his backers felt they couldn’t make any money. That said it would seem logical that he had examples of the Spartan produced, and perhaps available for this next venture that became the friction drive. I have found very limited information so far regarding the Spartan.

I have a number of different antique cars that I play with and the level of technology and automotive development in Each one varies interestingly.  This was an experimental brainstorm by an early automotive designer and entrepreneur, and I believe it deserves respect. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nearchoclatetown said:

Research Coachbuilt.com website and try the AACA library. Several cars used friction drive and they should have info on that. 

Thank you, I found nothing there yet