1963 triumph TR4 $8,000

Not mine, every car is a crap shoot, but at first glance this looked like it could be a whole lot of fun for a modest buy in.......Of course it's always better to pay double this and buy a better car..........but we all know that by now don't we?  8K?...Maybe 6-7K.  These are stylish and cool.   someone (not me of course) should take a chance on this and make us jealous.

No engine or underneath shots, but nothing is ever wrong there......

I like it.  I'm a sucker for low back buckets on British Roadsters.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/914397017029519/

image.png.b7345d9c53dadcd86fa484c6b17ffd2c.png 

image.png.e9443aabd257f8e810d5848f0e0dd422.png 

image.png.c3e4b5d6df7a504601dd4b3cfca5e064.png

image.png.bb784cbe8736906852ce01e94b835e02.png

image.png.1df3041380ca299be938abc36eae02fa.png

image.png.d37145a7aa59be7a5aa3be60d2a413f8.png

image.png.75e61c9b8ed18806359c1d567925c184.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Looks decent for the $$ John!

That's what I thought.  A potential buyer would want to really check it out thoroughly, but these are really cool and anyone who bought it would be welcomed into their local British car club with it.  

• Like 2

John unlike a Full Classic or other cars, if the body is good and one assumes it needs everything mechanically it is a lot more predictable cost wise for a hobbyist.  The TRs I think are even a bit easier on body side than an MG or AH as rear fenders unbolt.  Minor rust can be addrrssed via remove and replace... 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

John unlike a Full Classic or other cars, if the body is good and one assumes it needs everything mechanically it is a lot more predictable cost wise for a hobbyist.  The TRs I think are even a bit easier on body side than an MG or AH as rear fenders unbolt.  Minor rust can be addrrssed via remove and replace... 

Good point Steve, I am (as of a month ago) without a British roadster for the first time in a long time.  I just assume that there will be one again at some point.  I like stuff at the top of the market, the bottom of the market, and everything in between...........Makes for a dysfunctional never ending search.  I think I could fall for a TR3.....charm and racing heritage and a little more substantial than an MGA (which are drop dead gorgeous), but not moving you up into Big Healey or E-type money.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Twisted Shifter said:

Even as driveway art, it is tempting. Just push it out of the garage far enough on nice days to make your neighbors jealous. Doesn't need to run.

image.png.32f8c7d5fbfd6b2e7eb0715b4fdd1604.png

Exactly!  We think alike........

In the FBook listing there is a video of the engine running, just wish he would have revved it a bit, but it still sounded good. The engine and compartment are in excellent shape, inner fender wells are red, no visible rust, engine relatively clean and orderly and there appears to be no hacking into the wiring harness, so basically unmolested under the hood. The body lines look excellent and the body appears solid, and yes it needs to be seen in person. And as someone said above, if the body is good and the mechanics need attention then costs can be better predicted. I'm guessing it's over a 100,000 miles, sure the seats are worn and the dash appears to be cracked, but it is the first year for the TR4, they have a top and a car cover, but there is not a clear mention of a title. I've been watching these cars and have seen a bunch in worse shape for the same $ or more, I think this is a pretty good deal at $8000, but $7000 would be a really good deal, and once again a potential buyer really needs to see it in person. I've had TR3's and a TR6 in my youth but at this price, and if I had garage space, I would be making a one way trek of about 8 hours to check it out.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Glen Andrews said:

In the FBook listing there is a video of the engine running, just wish he would have revved it a bit, but it still sounded good. The engine and compartment are in excellent shape, inner fender wells are red, no visible rust, engine relatively clean and orderly and there appears to be no hacking into the wiring harness, so basically unmolested under the hood. The body lines look excellent and the body appears solid, and yes it needs to be seen in person. And as someone said above, if the body is good and the mechanics need attention then costs can be better predicted. I'm guessing it's over a 100,000 miles, sure the seats are worn and the dash appears to be cracked, but it is the first year for the TR4, they have a top and a car cover, but there is not a clear mention of a title. I've been watching these cars and have seen a bunch in worse shape for the same $ or more, I think this is a pretty good deal at $8000, but $7000 would be a really good deal, and once again a potential buyer really needs to see it in person. I've had TR3's and a TR6 in my youth but at this price, and if I had garage space, I would be making a one way trek of about 8 hours to check it out.

Good summary and perspective. It really is a ton of British  roadster charm for 8K or less.  Lately I’ve seen people asking this much for rubber bumper MG midgets.

if it runs well and there are no surprises after looking at the underneath side of the car, surely this will move quickly.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, alsancle said:

Nice alternative to a much pricey Jag and cooler than a MGB in my opinion.

Here is a car the at home restorer could do ok with.  Consider that Kurt Tanner Motorcars has a really, really nice TR-4 for $34k. Not terribly off the mark for a nice example and $20 or 26k spent over time might go a long way on this unit if using that as a rough value benchmark.

Initially I would agree with your MGB comment AJ except if one puts themselves back to when the B was introduced it was actually a huge step forward for MG and arguably a bit more advanced than the TR was.  It just became stale during the run when new and I guess a bit less collectible again due to the long run and clumsy approach to US regs.  When you think about these cars in the context of when they were new which one would be a tougher choice I think.  But today the TR would get the nod for me. 

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Here is a car the at home restorer could do ok with.  Consider that Kurt Tanner Motorcars has a really, really nice TR-4 for $34k. Not terribly off the mark for a nice example and $20 or 26k spent over time might go a long way on this unit if using that as a rough value benchmark.

Initially I would agree with your MGB comment AJ except if one puts themselves back to when the B was introduced it was actually a huge step forward for MG and arguably a bit more advanced than the TR was.  It just became stale during the run when new and I guess a bit less collectible again due to the long run and clumsy approach to US regs.  When you think about these cars in the context of when they were new which one would be a tougher choice I think.  But today the TR would get the nod for me. 

I completely agree with your assessment of the MGB. It was an enormous step forward when introduced in the  60s, but by the late 70s was not only dated but not as good a car with an almost 4 inch increase in ride height and big drop in horsepower. Their approach to meeting US regs was laughable, especially when compared to Porsche, which was doing similar production volumes. 

My 76 Midget has a box of gears in the middle of the speedo cable. This clockwork box is intended to tell you when the catalytic converter must be replaced. I know of no other car with a similar feature!  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I seem to have had a lot of these type cars. It is a wonderful things that people have different preferences, styling, performance, brand loyalty, this is why we have so many choices, people are different.

I really like series 1 MGB’s (loved mine)..... more than a TR4???..... maybe not.  More than a TR6?.....I think so.  More than a 914....not sure.  ( I had one of those and love them but that is apples to oranges, they are a different animal).  

The one that trumps all of these cars in my opinion, and I’ve had 2 of them, is the 66-74 Alfa Spider.  The Duetto, soft tails are a much higher price point, but a 1970, with  the squared tail, double overhead cam four-cylinder with fuel injection or side draft webers....... I like to think of them as a poor man’s four-cylinder Ferrari.

now nobody go out and buy one until I find one for myself first. That would be some thing I would keep for the long-haul.  I never should’ve sold the last one I had.  poor dental student is what led to that.

This TR4 says no regrets to me.

• Like 1

Triumphs sure can pull you in to that thinking of sunny days cruising around with the top down, the sun shinning and the whirring of everything mechanical surrounding you.  All these years later I still regret not buying a nice TR3 when I had the chance.  The bug came back in the form of the new TR8 when they came out and again I pushed it off with no purchase.  I still long for one today.  Sadly If I do buy one now it will have to be able to fit on my desk, but that’s ok too😀.

• Like 1