1908 Lambert

Bought this Lambert last year,  I think it is a 1908 model 18 based upon the 8"brake drum dia. 

The title says it is a 1909 model A1.

Anyway, it needs a lot of work, so it will be a while before she runs.

I have new rims ordered,  tires, and rear spring that was broken ordered as well

The engine is seized,...working on that.

At some point the block froze with water in it, and blew out a chunk  of the water jacket.

I plan to disassemble, and magnaflux the castings  to see if there are any other issues.

I do have an almost identical engine as a spare, bought it  from Dean Nelson in St. Paul.

Stay tuned.....

PXL_20231016_133630694.jpg

PXL_20231016_183427458.jpg

PXL_20231027_191001639.jpg

• Like 16

Great project. Many years ago we made friction discs for Sears,Schacht and Metz cars.I do not recall if we made any for Lamberts. A friend John Lambert had an Lambert touring car. I think it was a 1909 or a 1910. Since his passing I do not know what became of his car. Thank you for posting. Please post your progress.

That is an odd spark plug and valve configuration.  I'd like to see more photos of the engine and head if you care to post more. I have a 1-cyl Cadillac which has an odd arrangement too. The plug and exhaust valve are overhead but the intake valve is "over there" on the mixer casting.  

I forgot to mention the friction drive.

The company that makes the paper wear element is still in business, Paper Pullys, Inc.

I plan to silver solder the chunk back into the water jacket, I was considering to stitch it, but that seems too intrusive.

The engine is a Davis, from Milwaukee.

Hoyt Lambert lives near me in Tampa, I would love to track down all the Lamberts that are out there.

The family books say the first Lambert is the first, and oldest car built in USA, 1891.

s-l960 (2).jpg

• Like 1

If the broken piece has gone missing, you can have a replacement piece cast in grey iron -  a bit over size with clean edges. The opening is then dressed fit the geometry of the new piece and then the stitched. Once done you will never know there was a big hole there.

• Like 2