1924 Stanley 750 at Auction

This is really cool.   Last of the Stanleys and this car has a number of cool updates on it like the condenser fan.   10-15 years ago I would have fallen for this trap.  But I'm too much older and wiser now.  However, I think the car is fantastically cool and I hope Kelly chimes in and tells us about it.

https://bids.fowlerauction.com/auctions/29381/lot/3610277-stanley-steamer-car-more-info-coming-video-in-last-picture

1924-Stanley-740-At-Auction-1.jpeg

1924-Stanley-740-At-Auction-2.jpeg

1924-Stanley-740-At-Auction-3.jpeg

1924-Stanley-740-At-Auction-4.jpeg

1924-Stanley-740-At-Auction-5.jpeg

1924-Stanley-740-At-Auction-6.jpeg

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

This is really cool.   Last of the Stanleys and this car has a number of cool updates on it like the condenser fan.   10-15 years ago I would have fallen for this trap.  But I'm too much older and wiser now.  However, I think the car is fantastically cool and I hope Kelly chimes in and tells us about it.

https://bids.fowlerauction.com/auctions/29381/lot/3610277-stanley-steamer-car-more-info-coming-video-in-last-picture

1924-Stanley-740-At-Auction-1.jpeg

1924-Stanley-740-At-Auction-2.jpeg

1924-Stanley-740-At-Auction-3.jpeg

1924-Stanley-740-At-Auction-4.jpeg

1924-Stanley-740-At-Auction-5.jpeg

1924-Stanley-740-At-Auction-6.jpeg

I like it. I’d be willing to start your “go fund me” page and boost it up with the first $10 to be contributed. I also would promise one encouraging DM a month.

I know you’ve hinted at your desire to have a steam car someday.  Valentine’s Day is just a little over a month away and I think this would go over  big with a vanity plate and your wife’s name on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This car was assembled around 1930 by Jack Brause, who was working for the Chicago Stanley organization at the time.  Apparently a Mr. Arthur L. Hawkins of Indiana had a 1925 or '26 Elcar 8-81, and truly wanted a Stanley, even at that late date.  Brause pulled together a Stanley chassis and mounted the Elcar body on it.

Early steam mechanic Stanley Allred of Indiana acquired it and got it running in 1959.  He considered it to be the last Stanley ever built, and called it the "Chicago Stanley."  He thought the chassis was a 1925, although it carries a 1924 serial number.  He installed a boiler, bought the condenser fan and installed it, and put on the condenser from the Chicago bus, which was stored alongside his shop.  The car was sold at his estate sale in 1971.

ChicagoBus.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

• alsancle changed the title to 1924 Stanley 750 at Auction
  • 2 weeks later...

It is the latest & greatest technology from Stanley, and the condenser will give you more MPG of water but water is the cheaper of the fuel. The condenser  on a Stanley acts like a muffler, it doesn't chug like a Stanley and it doesn't puff a cloud like a Stanley. Why else would anyone buy a Stanley ?

I am no steam expert. But I have had several good friends that had and restored or toured with a number of steam cars. This car I understand is known in the steam car world for its historic significance. That significance makes it more desirable to some in the steam crowd, and less desirable to others. So that may affect the value either way.

As for condensing Stanleys  versus non-condensing ones? Also a mixed bag. The steam car crowd has a lot of people that love their condensing cars, enjoy their greater tour-ability and range. And also a lot of die-hard steam purists that only want the non-condensing Stanley cars. Interesting how the White fits in between those two, as most White steam cars were condensing models years before the Stanley twins went to the condensing model. The last of the White steam cars was manufactured about five years before the Stanley twins went to the condenser. Of course, when getting closer to the "Horseless Carriage" era, earlier is usually more desirable as is practical functionality. Around horseless carriages, year and functionality tend to play off each other as one tends to get better while the other gets worse.

• Like 1

I think most steam car guys, including Stanley guys will admit that the white technology was far superior to Stanley. The beauty of Stanley is simplicity.

I think the biggest difference between the condensing and non-condensing cars is the performance of the cars. Basically the same powertrain, but half the weight.

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

I think most steam car guys, including Stanley guys will admit that the white technology was far superior to Stanley. The beauty of Stanley is simplicity.

I think the biggest difference between the condensing and non-condensing cars is the performance of the cars. Basically the same powertrain, but half the weight.

Both of those points are things I have heard often from friends with steam cars.

I tend to wonder about things. Certainly, the condenser adds a considerable amount of weight, however, there seems to be more than that. The Whites (mostly pre1910) were bigger and heavier cars than were the earlier Stanley cars. And when the Stanley twins went to using condensers about 1916, they began building their cars bigger and heavier. The condensers gave the cars a better driving range without as much need to replenish the water supply. So the car actually could carry a bit less water to offset the weight of the condenser some. 

The difference in performance between condensing and noncondensing Stanley cars is significant. The two different types are in a sense different worlds. Much like comparing a brass era model T with a later Model A if it had a model T size engine in it. One is spindly, very open and light, while the other is heavier and more solid, but with similar power.

I had long hoped to get a steam car some day myself. But that is not likely to ever happen for me.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 10:15 AM, alsancle said:

The bidding closed at 40K which is just about what I thought this would go for.   It was the next 50-100K I didn't want to sign up for.   But so cool.

It just needed tires? 

• Haha 2