'65 seat belt buckle restoration

65VerdeGS

What's the best way to polish out fine scratches from chromed seat belt buckles? 

Here's a pic of one of the seat belt buckles in my '65:

image.png.18e333f7ff4021ee3af121d75c5d1f9d.png

What polish and technique should I use to remove those fine scratches?

Are these buckles made of stainless steel?  Or are they chromed (regular) steel? 

Does anyone sell reproduction red Fisher Body carriage emblems that go on the latch portion of the buckle?

Thanks for your tips and suggestions!

Those are beautiful. Like jewelry. I believe flash-chromed steel. A few Ten Thousands of an inch of plating. Polishing will remove valuable material.

There's nothing you could do to make them much nicer. Chrome is very soft. Just wiping with a dry rag will put those fine scratches on them

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

Ssnake-Oyl is the seat belt restoration company.

Be prepared for the cost with Snake-Oyl. 

14 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

What's the best way to polish out fine scratches from chromed seat belt buckles? 

Are these buckles made of stainless steel?  Or are they chromed (regular) steel? 

Does anyone sell reproduction red Fisher Body carriage emblems that go on the latch portion of the buckle?

If careful, could be buffed out. They are plated steel. New correct webbing is available, but the buckle needs to be disassembled to replace it. 

New red carriage emblems are also available. I've gotten them from The Parts Place. OPGI may also have them since both are now owned by the same company. 

Loren@65GS.com

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Loren@65GS.com said:

Be prepared for the cost with Snake-Oyl. 

If careful, could be buffed out. They are plated steel. New correct webbing is available, but the buckle needs to be disassembled to replace it. 

New red carriage emblems are also available. I've gotten them from The Parts Place. OPGI may also have them since both are now owned by the same company. 

Loren@65GS.com

OPGI and The Parts Place are owned by the same company? Do tell...

Tom

17 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

The carriage emblems are for sale all over the internet from many different vendors.......I used these on the belts on my car and they look fantastic.......the red on my originals were faded and turning pink. On the buckles send them out to be replated.....Snake Oyll  can handle all of this for you.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Thanks Loren and Winston for the leads on reproduction carriage emblems!

OPGI lists these carriage emblems for '65 and '66, but they are not correct for '65:

image.png.ee43f15952d8da8f522b43379bb392b4.png

The Parts Place sells the correct red carriage emblems, so I'll be ordering a pair from them:

image.png.a17f0404799db847d2aa729e729905a9.png

17 hours ago, RivNut said:

I’m aware of that, but who else does seat belt restorations?

I have four nice 1964 Brownline buckles, and I can find anchors, so who does rewebbing that is certified?

A quick internet search showed a couple of others, Python Restoration and Seatbelt Planet. There may be others as well.

I have done my own but am not certified. It requires an industrial sewing machine using the correct thread weight and stitch pattern. This is something that you can't do with a home sewing machine. 

Loren@65GS.com 

Fortunately, my seat belts are in good shape and don't require rewebbing. 

I'm only looking at how to remove the fine scratches from the chromed buckles.

I'll try gentle polishing of the chrome with the Simichrome and will report bsck.

The way the scratches are "removed" is to take the surrounding material down to the same depth as the depth of the scratches with abrasives.  I would do the Simichrome polish and follow it with a good cleaner car wax and see how it looks then.  I also suspect that if you look at any factory platings under a strong light, you'll see that the factory chrome is thin and has "sanding patterns" under the chrome.  Same on exterior door handles.  None of the repro items have them, so if originality counts . . . clean and wax.  When you get it all done (clean and polish, with new emblems), then preserve it all with a good coat of ceramic car wax.  You can also use car wax on the chrome of the instrument panel, too.

Happy New Year!

NTX5467 

• Like 1

Great tips NTX5467!

I'll try the Simichrome followed by the cleaner wax and new emblems.  Surely they will look better after this treatment.

Cheers!