advise on removing straight 8 from 1950 super

tom50super

Dynaflow or 3 speed?   The engine is Heavy.  The engine and trans are Very Heavy.   You will need a hoist that can handle at least 1500#  when at least 2/3 extended.  If you attempt to just remove the engine, the front of the transmission needs to be supported.  If you remove both the enclosed driveshaft can "float" making the car hard to roll as the rear end can move to the front and rear.   

• Like 2

Chilton has the following cautions: Remove radiator, (so it won't get bumped by heavy engine). Same with the fuel pump. 

Disconnect front mount and disconnect engine at bell housing.  Support the transmission with a jack. 

• Like 1

There is a topic on here about rebuilding a Buick straight eight. Maybe in the Buick Post War section.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tom50super said:

i have to rebuild because of stuck valves and bent pushrods

I'm not an expert with these engines, but...

Is the bottom end intact...?  If so, why not remove only the cylinder head...?

Paul

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, pfloro said:

I'm not an expert with these engines, but...

Is the bottom end intact...?  If so, why not remove only the cylinder head...?

Paul

This is a good idea but, don't forget the hoist for it too. That head is very heavy with or without the manifolds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldtech said:

Chilton has the following cautions: Remove radiator, (so it won't get bumped by heavy engine). Same with the fuel pump. 

Disconnect front mount and disconnect engine at bell housing.  Support the transmission with a jack. 

And, if it's dynaflow it probably has about 32 bolts holding the torque unit to the flywheel plate with a couple quarts of oil to run out everywhere.

I had looked that 1950 Buick engine removal information up earlier in both the Chilton & Motors manuals and was surprised there was so little useful information in there. However I always thought the info & pictures in those thick hardbound universal repair books was taken straight from the actual automaker's shop manuals so if there was no specific engine removal info in the 1950 Buick shop manual there won't be any in the Chilton & Motors manuals either. I'll admit I could be completely wrong about this, just the impression I got over the years. However, both those vintage aftermarket repair book lines have a lot of useful information in them and are a nice addition to anyone's auto repair or restoration library. 

• Like 2

As for the older Chiltons & Motors Manuals, it depends on the year & make of car. Some removal descriptions go into great detail like telling you to remove every little thing like wiring harnesses, battery cables, sending units, exhaust pipes, fuel pumps and even hoods and support crossmembers and in what order. Other makes say hardly anything at all, they basically just tell you to just lift the engine out after everything is moved out of the way.

On 12/12/2023 at 8:31 PM, Oldtech said:

There are 3 steps to removing the oil pan in a 64 Chevy, 1. Disconnect battery cable. 2. Remove engine. 3. Remove pan.

Sure, and a full overhaul for that engine would just be one more step in those simple terms!  4. Overhaul engine.

I think some very important small steps are missing!😮

🦃 🦃 🐖 🍠🥔🎄 🕎 ❄️