Unusual 1910 5-wheel truck ID

WQ59B

Pic is from 'Young's Lubricants'- a Pennsylvania company started in 1890 (still in business). They captioned the pic '1910'- but who knows if that's the year of the photo or the truck. It appear that the central wheel is the drive wheel. Are those large springs linked toward the front axle? Any ideas/info on a make or would this have been home-built? Certainly unique. 

image.png.8053180f5367e6878786d9900169aef8.png

• Like 4

I scanned this from a book I have called “Automotive Reflections” by Lloyd Van Horn.

Made in 1910 by the Grover Traction Truck company it sure looks like this is the company that made the truck.

Although the truck has some differences the similarities are too numerous to dismiss especially the unusual drive mechanism, a different model or prototype maybe?

This book has the only reference to the Grover Traction Truck Company that I could find anywhere and the only vehicle I’ve ever seen with type of drive mechanism.

Document_2023-11-28_111353.jpeg.e9121fa44f3cc45aeb0285fdeac30068.jpeg

Edited by Desertexplorer (see edit history)
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Desertexplorer said:

I scanned this from a book I have called “Automotive Reflections” by Lloyd Van Horn.

Made in 1910 by the Grover Traction Truck company it sure looks like this is the company that made the truck.

Although the truck has some differences the similarities are too numerous to dismiss especially the unusual drive mechanism, a different model or prototype maybe?

This book has the only reference to the Grover Traction Truck Company that I could find anywhere and the only vehicle I’ve ever seen with type of drive mechanism.

Document_2023-11-28_111353.jpeg.e9121fa44f3cc45aeb0285fdeac30068.jpeg

What do you think that guy riding left side shotgun is grinning about?

• Like 1

would sure be scary down hill....sitting way up there .....with the stone wheel in low gear skidding along trying to slow down....... and in the second pic i picture  both guys pulling on the brake lever with what appears to be horse  wagon style brakes [blocks rubbing on outside of rear wheels ]......the wheels look like bear grease wood on steel spindle no bearings.......most of these heavy wagons had a animal grease pail hanging under chassis which i do not see in pic......and the first pic unit must have drum brakes on rear with outer brake  band maybe ?...........would be a bit of work changing a stone wheel  on the side of the road 

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)
  • Like 1