Project Thread: My 1929 135 Victoria Brougham

Edwin The Kid

7 minutes ago, Edwin The Kid said:

Been busy with finals week but finally finished one seat for the Franklin! 

PXL_20231205_205603170.jpg.a109c602ee0dc38f849086eeb7ad9f5c.jpgPXL_20231204_200747819.jpg.96f7e45a947b47c8799ebc0146f142b0.jpghand stitching the rear cover

PXL_20231205_205652226.jpg.fe8baacb41dcf4b16c653e36263f5ebd.jpgPXL_20231205_215249125.jpg.d3d02594a83a354fd9c028e097ac955c.jpg

Nice job  good when you have the skill to do your own upholstery rather than send it out to be done

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Been slowly picking away at the car while I wait on the clutch to get relined. I removed the mystery ring from the transmission and sealed it up. I painted the shifter black because that looks better than peeling chrome! Pulled the master out and disassembled it as well as all the wheel cylinders. I will be sending the master and 2 wheel cylinders for relining, and buying two new front cylinders from Jeff Hasslen. Also took some time to clean up the bellhousing part of the engine. I also fixed the speedo/odometer, and found out my clock works!

PXL_20240107_001028631_MP.jpg.fa14d4e01582956d5ed9f994cded7cec.jpg

PXL_20240114_235904928_MP.jpg.406942b6e591dd23830fe43ab4d3e9f5.jpg\

PXL_20240114_234624335_MP.jpg.dc5891ff816ac1afb316de9ca0bc2175.jpg

PXL_20240107_181733964_MP.jpg.b0461708e633162952afe0c696c1be51.jpg

PXL_20240107_175841101.jpg.e6fd7f53a6e2dfe5084bcc9a7c1d9a3f.jpg

PXL_20240107_001112464_MP.jpg.6248202ff1ac3102dad920850da4eafa.jpg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Edwin The Kid said:

I will be sending the master and 2 wheel cylinders for relining, and buying two new front cylinders from Jeff Hasslen.

That's what I'm doing too - turned out my rear wheel cylinders were new, so I'm replacing the front one with the larger 1-⅜ wheel cylinders, and once I get the master cylinder apart will send that and my 2 rear cylinders to Jeff to go for sleeving along with the new cylinders so all are sleeved in stainless and will last forever.

Roger

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Still waiting on clutch and brake parts. New pilot bearing is installed, and a throwout bearing is on the way. Master and wheel cylinders are getting sleeved, and I need to order a few rebuild kits. Nicopp hard line is in the mail and new nuts from the club are here. Today I made some progress on the driveshaft, installing new u-joints from odyssey into the yokes. Once all the parts get here it's going to come together pretty quick!

The Franklin is also in the corner spot while the Corvair gets some attention as well! Taking pictures of this car makes me realize how bent and crooked my bumpers are, lol.

PXL_20240305_211538963_MP.jpg.e0923776ccea7fffb6c9f2107a6e8030.jpg

PXL_20240306_221129502_MP.jpg.aab6cef98c083fa5273fc3bf44c83bb8.jpg

PXL_20240306_204843252.jpg.113e4cba7173a23239a1f1bffe641beb.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Exciting progress!! The car now moves under its own power!

Clutch is lined

PXL_20240405_205500616.jpg.590065a02b4a23d7a178bb0185ad5db2.jpg

Installing in car with 3d printed alignment tool

PXL_20240410_212050866.jpg.88375ea2f4c2af19fc8a554f46eca48e.jpg

Transmission install was remarkable easy, clutch is adjusted and functional!

PXL_20240409_025554154_MP.jpg.43ce23d062126a1e435835766d39655e.jpg

New wheel cylinders installed, next is to redo the copper hard lines with nicopp

PXL_20240406_015334789.jpg.339a7fb6de66acb7ce6599f6237d6a96.jpg

Cleaned gas tank installed, as well as rebuilt driveshaft, and the Franklin drove itself outside for a much needed wash. Limiting the amount of driving I'm doing as the only brake is the hand brake, but it runs and drives around the storage units very well!

PXL_20240410_010644547_MP.jpg.a6ce0eab558c1aa6d49133b68c426f57.jpg

PXL_20240315_024150821.jpg.bc09251d0488f3d633cd0d06ae574ac9.jpg

I'll be driving the car into the school shop here at McPherson this week to finish up the brakes, hopefully will have a roadworthy car soon! I'll post some videos as well.

• Like 9

More progress today, one step closer to having brakes! Pulled the car into class at McPherson to work on the brake lines. Having the car on the lift made making the new nicopp lines a breeze. Finished up the fuel line as well. 

PXL_20240412_195141435.jpg.27bd5d0fe049e3b1ff5cbbf95df19b90.jpgPXL_20240412_235114499.jpg.4dbaf3d6c4eb1b65a86bd6382425ce7e.jpgPXL_20240412_234627948.jpg.bd2af2d1487fa76e078d9329ee3655ea.jpgPXL_20240412_234642019.jpg.9fa4a212bd4d57234586c7f191d23151.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 38Buick 80C said:

I expected it to have mechanical brakes, Franklin made the change to hydraulic fairly early it would seem.

1928 with the Series 12 cars.

This thread shows dates of many makes - as early as 1921 for Duesenberg apparently

Roger

• Like 2

Ed,

The work is coming along very well. 

I recommend you turn that fuel line loop so that it is horizontal and not vertical. As it is with a high point in the loop, in hot weather it can catch and accumulate vapor bubbles there and cause a vapor lock blockage. 

From '29 on, Franklin used a looped fuel line from the pump to the carb but they always kept the loop in a horizontal plane. While vapor lock wasn't a problem in '29, it can be now. Not having any high points in the fuel line allows bubbles to pass through to the fuel bowl where they can be vented out through the bowl vent while they are still small enough to pass through.   

Paul

• Like 4

7 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

I expected it to have mechanical brakes, Franklin made the change to hydraulic fairly early it would seem.

Kinda wish they hadn't, it's an expensive system! 

7 hours ago, theKiwi said:

1928 with the Series 12 cars.

This thread shows dates of many makes - as early as 1921 for Duesenberg apparently

Roger

I was just looking at the hydraulic brakes on a 21 Duesenberg Model A that visited the school on Wednesday. A very strange brake setup! 

3 hours ago, PFitz said:

Ed,

The work is coming along very well. 

I recommend you turn that fuel line loop so that it is horizontal and not vertical. As it is with a high point in the loop, in hot weather it can catch and accumulate vapor bubbles there and cause a vapor lock blockage. 

I'll make sure to do that!

Interesting.......I would NEVER lift any pre war car up on an offset two post lift...........and they are doing it at a teaching institution. Pre war cars have very flexible frames, and damage to body and doors is very easy to occur. Also, weight ballance and uneven frame perch mounts can cause the car to come down or shift. Look at the great restoration shops that do pre war stuff.......NONE of them use a two post offset lift. 

PS- Love the car. And surprised it had juice brakes. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2024 at 2:11 PM, Edwin The Kid said:

I'll make sure to do that!

One other thing to help reduce chances of vapor lock. Remove the engine splash pans. Unless you're going mud-bogging they are not needed. They restrict some of cooling air flow through the hood front by reducing the area that the hot air can leave. That extra airflow is what helps cool the engine compartment and all of the fuel system in it.

Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Interesting.......I would NEVER lift any pre war car up on an offset two post lift...........and they are doing it at a teaching institution. Pre war cars have very flexible frames, and damage to body and doors is very easy to occur. Also, weight ballance and uneven frame perch mounts can cause the car to come down or shift. Look at the great restoration shops that do pre war stuff.......NONE of them use a two post offset lift. 

PS- Love the car. And surprised it had juice brakes. 

Like at Morrisville College auto tech program, they may have other types of lifts for heavier vehicles. I've used the single post lifts at Morrisville for heavier Franklins than Ed's '29 Victoria for my tech sessions and with no flexing problems.  Franklins have very strong frames combined with being much lighter than most comparably sized cars of their era.  That '29 Franklin Victoria is less than 4000 lbs.

Plus, the best perch-points to lift steel-framed Franklins are flat and reenforced with double wall channels where you'd lift for the front half. 

I agree with you about other makes. I'd never get under a Packard or Pierce of the same body type with a two post. A restoration shop has to have lifts for whatever their heaviest projects are going to be.

Paul

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 1:27 AM, PFitz said:

"Then and Now Automotive" has the kits. You want the FPA-18 for '29 & '30 Franklins. The '31 and later pumps have a different base.

FPA-18 Fuel Pump kit | Then and Now Automotive (then-now-auto.com)

Paul

Paul, 

Restorationstuff.com has those pump repair kits for $34.00 which is a bit cheaper than Then and Now Automotive. their number is EPA018. No reason not to save a few bucks.

Bill

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hook said:

Restorationstuff.com has those pump repair kits for $34.00 which is a bit cheaper than Then and Now Automotive. their number is EPA018. No reason not to save a few bucks.

Actually it's FPA018, although the listing doesn't indicate that any of their repair kits are for Franklin...

Roger

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theKiwi said:

Actually it's FPA018, although the listing doesn't indicate that any of their repair kits are for Franklin...

Roger

Interesting that they use the same part number as Then and Now Automotive. 

Yes, Restoration Supply Company doesn't list Franklins. You'd have to know which year Franklin uses an "A" or a "B" pump and nothing in Franklin literature uses the model letter, just AC's Franklin-specific part number on the drawing and that number does not appear on the pumps. 

Then and Now does list by Franklin and you can see the different mounting gaskets to know the FPA-18 is the kit used for '29-'30.

I learned the Franklin AC model letter years back during phone call ordering conversations with Tom Hanniford when it was just known as the Antique Autoparts Cellar. Tom liked to use the model letter when you told him what year Franklin you needed the kit for. 

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

5 hours ago, theKiwi said:

Roger

oops!! I did make a mistake on the F. In fact, if you look at the Franklin Service Station issue 166, Jan. 2021 you will see I somehow made the same mistake in my write up on the Franklin Fuel pumps A & B. In that issue I delve into the biggest problem with the 29/30 pump and why AC got rid of the model. A few years before that I informed Restoration Stuff about their kits fitting Franklins. I guess it just fell on deft ears.

Bill

9 hours ago, hook said:

Paul, 

Bill

Bill,

One reason the Then and Now kits may be more expensive is it has all replacement pivot pins and clips for the linkages. I don't see them with the Restoration Supply kit. As you mention in your FSS write up the pins wear and replacing them helps get pump travel pressure back into the 2-4 psi range the pump is originally rated for by Franklin.

Another wear problem that prevents a rebuilt pump from getting the proper pressure(volume) output is the pump pushrod. With some wear at the camshaft lobe and pump arm, but most of the loss of pump diaphragm travel is the combined wear at each end of the push rod because it has the smallest contact patch.

Not much can or needs to be done about the slight wear at cam lobe and pump arm. However, eliminating the pushrod wear makes a bigger difference than addressing the pump linkage wear. And by making a slightly longer than stock pushrod the wear at cam and pump can be compensated for more easily than other ways.

As a result, I've had calls to make quite a few new longer pushrods in recent years. Including working with one member in Texas to find the correct length to get his very worn, but rebuilt '30 pump into the 2-4 psi range. A previous owner had welded metal onto the worn pushrod and made it too long. It was overriding the float with too much fuel pressure and flooding the carb and engine. 

Paul

DSCN2335.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PFitz said:

Bill,

One reason the Then and Now kits may be more expensive is it has all replacement pivot pins and clips for the linkages. I don't see them with the Restoration Supply kit. As you mention in your FSS write up the pins wear and replacing them helps get pump travel pressure back into the 2-4 psi range the pump is originally rated for by Franklin.

Another wear problem that prevents a rebuilt pump from getting the proper pressure(volume) output is the pump pushrod. With some wear at the camshaft lobe and pump arm, but most of the loss of pump diaphragm travel is the combined wear at each end of the push rod because it has the smallest contact path.

Not much can or needs to be done about the slight wear at cam lobe and pump arm. However, eliminating the pushrod wear makes a bigger difference than addressing the pump linkage wear. And by making a slightly longer than stock pushrod the wear at cam and pump can be compensated for more easily than other ways.

As a result, I've had calls to make quite a few new longer pushrods in recent years. Including working with one member in Texas to find the correct length to get his very worn, but rebuilt '30 pump into the 2-4 psi range. A previous owner had welded metal onto the worn pushrod and made it too long. It was overriding the float with too much fuel pressure and flooding the carb and engine. 

Paul

DSCN2335.JPG

I see that. That makes it well worth the extra cost. They also list the other two pumps (31-34 6 cyl. and the V12) with the pins included. Thank you for pointing that out.

Bill

• Like 1

Watching your progress Edwin...  You're doing a great job with the Victoria Brougham!

• Like 1

Really enjoying driving this car, despite having to drive slowly and cautiously on the parking brake. I'm getting ready for the McPherson College car show on May 4th, so I'm working on some of the smaller details. 

I've been working on converting the coil/switch unit to just a switch unit, but need to find some small brass rivets to make a new contact piece for the internal mechanism. Temporarily installed a toggle switch in the dash, which is way better than my previous solution of a jumper wire from the battery to the coil. 

PXL_20240427_223515088_MP.jpg.2ab0e0171cb039f0ab24ad89e87bda7e.jpg

I also cleaned up and installed the fender lights. No wiring for any lights yet, but it makes the car look more complete! 

PXL_20240428_012508233.jpg.6db8130320e3d3f62e46c8b3e2829b9c.jpg

I'm going to adjust the brakes this coming week and hopefully have the car stopping well enough to drive on the road confidently. Still will be careful on the old wards riverside tires. 

• Like 3

The double anchor Wagners are not easy to get set up. There are some tricks to adjusting them to make then work best.

First make sure to deglaze the drum's shoe contact surface by wiping with brake clean or lacquer thinner then sand the surface with fine emory cloth. 

Second, make sure the shoes fit the drum over the entire length of the lining. Shoes lined with original thickness lining will not fit to a worn drum.  If the new linings are not to be sanded to fit the worn drums, often shim stock is put under the linings equal in thickness to how much the drums are worn so that the curvature of the lining matches the drums like when the drums and linings were new. 

When adjusting the shoes start with the top adjusters. Back them off. Then go to the anchors. Turn the left-hand anchor counterclockwise until the shoe contacts the drum. Then clockwise for the right-hand anchor. That moves the shoe to the upper range of the anchor's eccentric adjustment range giving the piston pushrods a straight push toward the shoes instead of angled down and losing some force due to greater than a 90 degree vector. Then back both anchors off about a quarter turn. 

Now adjust in small degrees by alternately turning the upper adjuster and anchor to move the shoe toward the drum. Don't try to get contact all at once. Alternate top and bottom so that the shoe moves evenly toward contact with the drum at heal and toe.

Once the shoe is contacting the drum all along the lining surface then lock the anchor nut. Now back off the upper adjuster until the shoes just stop dragging on the drum. Check the clearance between drum and lining with a feeler gage through the drum opening. 

Once all eight shoes are set that way go drive it and "burnish" the linings by getting up to about 30mph and then stopping very hard. Do that several times. That will smooth and better seat the linings onto the shoes.

Now recheck the clearance using the feeler gauge. Adjust as needed.

Once the shoes are properly adjusted never change the anchor adjustments. Do all adjusting for wear only by using the upper adjusters. 

Paul 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, theKiwi said:

Thanks Paul - another post copied to a document on my computer for when I get to that stage on my 153 Deluxe Coupe.

Cheers

Roger

If you haven't relined the shoes yet, as you know the original lining is 1-3/4 wide. But the '30 and later stamped steel shoes are 2 inch wide and the drum contact area is closer to 2-1/4.

When I reline shoes, I use 2 inch wide lining and set it flush to what will be the backing plate side of each shoe. Then I label the shoes left or right for each drum depending on which side is flush. The slight curve of the stamped steel shoe edge is not enough for the edge of the lining to lose support. 

By using 2 inch wide lining it gives more friction/contact surface area to each shoe. By adding that 1/4 inch in width it is like having the square area stopping power of 9 shoes instead of 8.

For the '28 brake shoes with 6 one length and two longer, I send the owner looking for pairs of the longer cast shoes and use those in place of the 6 short shoes to likewise increase the lining surface area. If none can be found I put the long shoe on the front drums instead of on the rears as was originally done. Franklin seemed to still be putting emphasis on rear brakes doing the most work in 1928. They got away from that in later production. 

Paul

My shoes have been relined, although right now while I'm inside I don't know what width lining was used.

The problem I haven't delved too deeply in to is that the front cylinders were old and leaking, and despite the car supposedly not having driven very far the front shoes have been wet with brake fluid. So that's a problem for some future time when I'm ready to start putting things together. The rear cylinders were brand new, and didn't seem to have had any fluid to them.

Roger

1 hour ago, theKiwi said:

My shoes have been relined, although right now while I'm inside I don't know what width lining was used.

The problem I haven't delved too deeply in to is that the front cylinders were old and leaking, and despite the car supposedly not having driven very far the front shoes have been wet with brake fluid. So that's a problem for some future time when I'm ready to start putting things together. The rear cylinders were brand new, and didn't seem to have had any fluid to them.

Roger

A good soaking with brake clean or lacquer thinner will clean the brake fluid out of the linings. I use lacquer thinner because I buy it in 5 gallon drums to clean spray guns, tools, greasy/oily parts and old gasoline varnish without it leaving any residue of its own. 

Paul

• Like 1

Hard to tell in photos but did an initial round of polishing on the paint. Looks much better. Adjusted the brakes and the car is stopping pretty well! Really enjoying driving this car. 

Should be sitting pretty for the Mac college car show on Saturday

PXL_20240503_004230733.jpg.5ec95c4c116a16138c22499e468456bc.jpg

• Like 7

Put the brakes in a toaster oven, set the unit to broil and leave in one hour. It will burn off the fluid 100 percent. It's the only way to do it, as brake clean will NOT get it all out. Also works for oil. Been doing it for over 45 years, and no issues. 

PS- Be sure you don't do it in the house for fumes..........or your wife will kill you!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edinmass said:

PS- Be sure you don't do it in the house for fumes..........or your wife will kill you!

That young man may not have that issue....yet!

• Like 1

Pfitz - great explanation of the brake system and how to get correct contact and function……two thumbs up for someone who actually knows what they are doing! 👍👍

• Like 2