For Sale: 1950 Dodge Coronet 4dr Sedan, 54K miles - $4,875 - Frankfort, IL - Not Mine

For Sale: 1950 Dodge Coronet 4dr Sedan, 54K miles - $4,875 - Frankfort, IL

1950 dodge coronet for sale by owner - Frankfort, IL - craigslist
Seller's Description:

1950 Dodge Coronet 4 door, 6cyl., 3 speed, fluid drive. Early restoration, unmolested, no rust, very nice interior, 20-foot paint job. Good wide whites, drives good, good brakes, new battery and fuel pump. odometer: 54000
Copy and paste in your email: 63a567a626e8301e917a1a9dee547cea@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1950 Dodge Coronet 4dr Sedan.

'50 Dodge Coronet IL a.jpg

'50 Dodge Coronet IL b.jpg

'50 Dodge Coronet IL c.jpg

'50 Dodge Coronet IL d.jpg

'50 Dodge Coronet IL e.jpg

'50 Dodge Coronet IL f.jpg

'50 Dodge Coronet IL g.jpg

'50 Dodge Coronet IL h.jpg

• Like 3

I used to have a 50 plymouth cranbrook.  I think my favorite "unique" feature was that the ignition cylinder had a light around it.  This is a great price for a nice weekend cruise-in car, and you'd likely be the only one. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fossil said:

I’m really thankful this car is not an hour away. 

It’s two hours away from me. I must state clearly that I have no space for it and would leave it outside and drive it on salted roads. Now is the time for everyone who cares about preserving old cars to tell me not to buy it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Now is the time for everyone who cares about preserving old cars to tell me not to buy it. 

OK don't buy it. At least you could do is take a buddy and just go over and take a peak at it.  Seeing as how you brought a buddy along to keep you from buying it it's OK to ask the owner what his bottom dollar is because your not buying it anyway.

PS:

Let us know how the trip home with it went will you?

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Haha 5

It looks like the kind of car you would WANT to leave outside and and drive on salted roads because that earlier restoration really didn't do the car any favors. That 20 foot green paint job is not an authentic color and it has a matchiing (ugly) 20 foot interior as well. The firewall shows this was a black car originally. The odometer might say 54K but you'd have to prove to me that mileage is original. The engine has a gray or silver head on a block that was painted red at one time. The dashboard & garnish molding paint has cracked and faded out and the interior chrome including the door handles is pitted. The paint on the steering wheel is pretty worn too. The small trim pieces under the taillights are missing and the long stainless trim on the rear fenders aren't original to the car and they even appear to differ somewhat from the left to the right side. Maybe there's a few surface rust spots are showing on the bottom of the driver's door too, pictures in that area are a little fuzzy. I just don't see this car as anything special, the odometer could have easily turned over and that almost $5K asking price is probably optimistic. There seem to be plenty of similar (say 1949-1952) era Mopar 4-door sedans that turn up for sale and IMO if someone was willing to shell out a few thousand dollars more and with maybe a little patience & luck I'd think $7K-$8K would get you a pretty darn nice example of an old Dodge, Plymouth or Chrysler sedan that would be right at home on the local show field. I apologize for the rant but I think there are better cars out there, just one man's opinion. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fossil said:

OK don't buy it. At least you could do is take a buddy and just go over and take a peak at it.  Seeing as how you brought a buddy along to keep you from buying it it's OK to ask the owner what his bottom dollar is because your not buying it anyway.

PS:

Let us know how the trip home with it went will you?

All my car buddies are enablers.  

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, The 55er said:

It looks like the kind of car you would WANT to leave outside and and drive on salted roads because that earlier restoration really didn't do the car any favors. That 20 foot green paint job is not an authentic color and it has a matchiing (ugly) 20 foot interior as well. The firewall shows this was a black car originally. The odometer might say 54K but you'd have to prove to me that mileage is original. The engine has a gray or silver head on a block that was painted red at one time. The dashboard & garnish molding paint has cracked and faded out and the interior chrome including the door handles is pitted. The paint on the steering wheel is pretty worn too. The small trim pieces under the taillights are missing and the long stainless trim on the rear fenders aren't original to the car and they even appear to differ somewhat from the left to the right side. Maybe there's a few surface rust spots are showing on the bottom of the driver's door too, pictures in that area are a little fuzzy. I just don't see this car as anything special, the odometer could have easily turned over and that almost $5K asking price is probably optimistic. There seem to be plenty of similar (say 1949-1952) era Mopar 4-door sedans that turn up for sale and IMO if someone was willing to shell out a few thousand dollars more and with maybe a little patience & luck I'd think $7K-$8K would get you a pretty darn nice example of an old Dodge, Plymouth or Chrysler sedan that would be right at home on the local show field. I apologize for the rant but I think there are better cars out there, just one man's opinion. 

That's just it though.  This one is imperfect enough to drive and not worry about shows.    My 57 Buick is a 10 footer,  bondo, interior from an 89 regal, incorrect mirrors, etc.  Purists cringe, and while it's not even typically my style (hate modern interiors in old cars), I have the most fun just driving the h*ll out of it!  I can drive it and not worry if something breaks will I be able to find the original style replacement.  If it breaks, I fix it with what works and don't worry.  My 72 is too original and I'll leave it that way, but I drive it less because I stress over it more.

Edited by NC-car-guy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, gossp said:

It’s two hours away from me. I must state clearly that I have no space for it and would leave it outside and drive it on salted roads. Now is the time for everyone who cares about preserving old cars to tell me not to buy it. 

Even at the current attrition rate, it's unlikely we'll ever run out of 1949-'54 Mopar sedans in our lifetime!  But as a second car, one to use, have fun with and enjoy, this old Dodge is cheap enough to take for a daily whirl and not worry about it.

• Like 3

I think there is a endless warehouse of old mopar parts as well for these years.  Even finding a fluid coupler is easy.  Jist one thing seems to be made of gold.  The fuel pump. These are pretty easy to rebuild but even the kits went through the roof. For some reason the new diaphram that is ethanol resistant must be made from material from nasa and is priced as such.

• Like 1