Clarification on Craftsmen Wrench Markings

9F94M567042

Hey Everyone,

I don't believe there is a specific "Tool" section, so I'll ask here.

I'm in the process of organizing all of my tools so when I start to do some serious work on my car, I can find what I need😁

On my Sears craftsmen open and box end wrenches, I've noticed that some are marked with the size (obviously), A 5digit number, and either a VV,VA or a V. Is there any rhyme or reason behind these letter designations even though they came from the same set when new? These are probably late '70's early '80's wrenches. Seems the larger sizes are marked VA and the smaller sizes change to the VV marking. The single V marking shows up on some of the metric sizes.

Not a big deal, just wanted to hear what others think.

Thanks

There's meaning behind them but not sure exactly what it is. Alloy Artifacts www.alloy-artifacts.org may have some information, or Garage Journal used to have a big tools section too.

I worked with a 20-something who was very knowledgeable on Craftsman but I haven't seen him since I retired and I'm told he's moved away from the area.

• Like 1

rocketraider,

Thanks much for those links. I have an account for the Garage Journal so I'll look more at that. Briefly read a post tonight on Craftsmen tool markings. Will study further another time. The Alloy Artifacts web site looks like a great site as well with lots of information. Will dive into that more as well.

Thanks

4 hours ago, 9F94M567042 said:

The Alloy Artifacts web site looks like a great site as well with lots of information. Will dive into that more as well.

A guy could get lost on that AA site for months... I know I have.

Here's a link I came across that taught me many things I never knew previously. Although it doesn't go in depth in regards to the V or VV differences, it gives us a better understanding of why they marked them.

I have a nice socket set stamped BE and never knew what it stood for or what era they were from till I found this link. I'd always heard theories, but the link explains specifics. Every since I found the link I view all my Craftsmens much differently than before and always pay attention to the markings more closely at garage sales.

Early Craftsman Tools and Their Makers [Page 1] (alloy-artifacts.org)

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

My guess is that it relates to the manufacturer used by Sears at that time.

At one time some Cradtsman handtools were made by EASCO Tools in Cockeyesville, MD.  EASCO had a "pep talk" with the employees.... it was about how much $$ EASCO was losing on each ratchet they made for Crteaftsman.  Management wanted to ramp up production to make more ratchets---( and lose more money)

• Haha 1

EASCO also made wrenches for NAPA. I have both brands, identical except one set is marked EASCO, the other NAPA. 

Same with Western Auto wrenches I own that were made by DURO. One WA set is marked "Wizard", the other "Westline". Identical beams and finishes, both with DURO's "D" maker's mark. I believe the Westline was an earlier WA brand.

• Like 1

Wow, EASCO was very close to Black and Decker. EASCO also was a Federal Contract supplier.

• Like 1

As a side note, Snap-On hand tools were (and possibly still are) marked with a year date code symbol.  Those made for WWII government contracts have a special code to that effect, which meant they could not be returned for warranty purposes.  The government purchasing department saw this as a way to reduce the government cost.

• Like 1

Williams made some hand tools (sockets and wrenches) for Snap-On, years ago I special ordered large size socket from our Snap-On tool man and when it came in it was a Williams socket with Snap-On number made into socket, but clearly marked "Williams"

I had a Uncle that the company he worked for his whole career (unheard of today) was the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority) he worked in the Bus repair shop, he said CTA had a contract with Craftsman to make all there hand tools were all marked "CTA" in bold letters, looked just like a Craftsman hand tool, if they broke a tool they could not go to Sears and have it replaced, they would turn it in to a supervisor, and then would be given a replacement.

Bob