Association or Club for those owning or interested in straight 8 engines

gregleck

I recall seeing a web page for a club for those interested in straight eight engines, or for those who owned a car which had a straight eight engine.  I tried to find this again on the web, including using terms like "str8" or "I 8 engine" but had no luck.  Other clubs did come up on search, but they were not exclusively for straight 8 engine owners or enthusiasts.

Can anyone help?

I'm not the original poster, and I've never owned a straight eight car, but I like old fashioned engines.  I think Bryan is right when he says that you need to narrow it down to a make.  Buick made straight eight engines that were overhead valve type.  And Chrysler made a flathead straight eight engines on their New Yorker and Imperial lines until 1950.  

I own a 37 Buick coupe and I am currently rebuilding the engine. I am very familiar with the 37–38 Buick group since 2015 and have a lot of their publications, the torque tube.

The club I am looking for is not limited to one make only. 

7 hours ago, gregleck said:

I own a 37 Buick coupe and I am currently rebuilding the engine. I am very familiar with the 37–38 Buick group since 2015 and have a lot of their publications, the torque tube.

Are you perhaps searching for Inliners International?  Not I eight specif. All Inline engines.

Ben

11 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Are you perhaps searching for Inliners International?  Not I eight specif. All Inline engines.

Ben

That's it!  As soon as I saw the website headliner photo I recognized it.  Thanks, Ben!

Also, thank you 54Coupe - the Facebook group Straight Eight Flathead Engines looks helpful as well.

Greg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gregleck said:

The 37-38 Buick Club folded in 2006. The 36-38 Buick Club was formed by some of the members of the former 37-38 Buick Club in 2008. If you have not seen the Torque Tube II, newsletter of the 36-38 Buick Club, you have missed a good opportunity to learn quite a bit about your 248 engine that you are rebuilding. You should also check out Gary Wheeler's 1937 Buick Special restoration story here on the AACA discussion forum. It gives you basically a step by step guide with photos of how to rebuild that engine. If you send me a private message with your email address, I will be happy to email you a sample .pdf copy of a recent Torque Tube II. 

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)

Here's my Studebaker 250 cu. in. straight 8 with four carbs, 8:1 aluminum head, about 200 hp at 4400 rpm.  It's a flathead with nine main bearings (inserts) and rods with insert bearings.  A car with a similar engine finished 3rd at the Indy 500 in 1933.

The Inliners site is mostly focused on Chevy 6's. 

Indyengine-StrombergEX23carbs.jpg.fc141447ccef52496203ebf00d72bce1.jpg

• Like 5