New formula 88 degreaser is junk

jp1gt

I bought some of the formula 88 that's supposed to be for California specs. I called the company first and they said it works the same. I put it in my new parts washer and it won't clean any grease off. I get some grease on my hands and it doesn't touch it. I called the company twice and they won't call me back. Was surprised that Lowe's won't give me my money back for something that doesn't work! Ordered some mineral spirits, I know that will work. And I know Amazon will take it back if it doesn't

• Thanks 1

Kilz is a brand of paint that is supposed to cover any kind of stain, water damage, smoke damage etc. Of course they dumbed it down and now it doesnt cover anything. Its just a regular paint primer now. They even have a couple of levels from reg. to extreme. None of them work!!!

• Like 3

Bill, there is a difference between mineral spirits and Stoddard solvent, although both are fuzzy and overlapping terms rather than a specific chemistry.  And that difference makes Stoddard solvent work better in a parts cleaner.  Simplifying a bit, Stoddard solvent has more types of materials in it, particularly more aromatics.  So it dissolves more types of crud.  And is more hazardous chemically.  So you are getting something in performance for your money, and there is chemistry behind your observation.

We would blend our own parts cleaner solvent at work (we had a chemical lab) - we called it Pirana juice, it would dissolve almost anything, but no way could it be marketed. Took burned and charred rubber seal off belt stainless.

• Thanks 1

Well I just wanted to give the company some bad advertising. I am also pissed at Lowes. In my opinion they should have given my money back. I remodeled 2 houses with Lowes products. Home depot will be happy.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Try Dawn Power Wash. It’s an amazing cleaner. I used it all over my home to get it ready to sell. Kitchen cabinets had a lot of grease and it was perfect. 

Along those same lines,an old friend said he always uses Dove hand soap after working on his car or other dirty project and it works great. Naturally I said "Dove is one quarter cleansing cream" like they say in the commercials but he was right,it does work great,and not like sandpaper Lava hand soap. It's like hand cleaner in bar form. The old bar of Lava is under the sink getting old and wrinkly now.

• Like 1