'65 Gran Sport on BaT

JanZverina

I doubt this car belongs to an ROA member, because the description says "... spent time in Georgia and Texas before its 2023 acquisition by the seller." 

Sounds like the current owner is looking to flip the car after having only bought it this year.

I notice it's got the standard interior, wrong aluminum radiator, and real wire wheels that are not stock (but look good!).

The data plate on the cowl says it was built during the first week of June 1965.  A fairly late build.

Someone got creative in solving the sagging rear suspension by fabricating mounts to raise the springs:

image.png.d7ce2f713c73d874b4f3d913052bdc16.png

Probably a candidate for new rear springs, I'd say.

Seems like a nice car overall.  Cool to see the original build sheet and Protect-O-Plate included.

Already bid to $25k with 7 days to go... Let's see where this one winds up at.

11 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Someone got creative in solving the sagging rear suspension by fabricating mounts to raise the springs:

How to determine coil spring sag? My '63 does not bottom out. But, I rarely have passengers in the back.

I like my Riv's stance as pictured in the "WW Tire Options . . ." Post.

4 hours ago, ericisback said:

Where is the build sheet in the listing? I don’t see it.  Are you talking about the window sticker?

Yes Eric - I meant the window sticker.  There were no build sheets on 1st Gen Rivieras.  I know for Corvettes they started gluing build sheets onto the top of the gas tanks, starting with the 1967 model year.

14 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Yes Eric - I meant the window sticker.  There were no build sheets on 1st Gen Rivieras.  I know for Corvettes they started gluing build sheets onto the top of the gas tanks, starting with the 1967 model year.

Actually, 1st gen Rivs did have build sheets - my car has one. However, they ARE rare. 

NoKeysBuildSheet.jpeg.0d60fbb67db122dc8ebbe26d9ef1e367.jpeg

Edited by ericisback (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Where did you find yours?

Mine was under the driver side dash. Conventional wisdom says that since the 1965 model was a new body style, Buick was trying to make sure that the cars looked  good coming off the line. So, they took extra care in making sure there was no paper “trash” laying around the car. 😳 Supposedly, that is why buildsheets on the 65 are so rare.

Believe it, or not, I recently had some keys made from the key numbers on the build sheet.  There is a top-of-the-line locksmith in my area, that actually had the Buick key code information from 1965.  They cut the keys using only the numbers, and the keys actually worked.

I’ve had a few true Riviera experts take a look at the buildsheet, and so far, based on what they told me, this is the best example of a full built sheet that they have ever seen. Typically they only have pieces of the build sheet to work from.  They let me know the buildsheet was helpful in their decoding research. 

IMG_9066.jpeg.562261cc206f42aca60c2b9e65102e8e.jpeg

Edited by ericisback (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ericisback said:

I’ve had a few true Riviera experts take a look at the buildsheet, and so far, based on what they told me, this is the best example of a full built sheet that they have ever seen.

I agree, yours looks pristine.  They are indeed rare on Rivieras; and Buicks of this era in general.  I once found one on top of the gas tank in  a '74 Nova.  Sometimes also wedged into the rear seat springs.  I think a couple of Riviera owners have found them behind the LF kick panel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

I agree, yours looks pristine.  They are indeed rare on Rivieras; and Buicks of this era in general.  I once found one on top of the gas tank in  a '74 Nova.  Sometimes also wedged into the rear seat springs.  I think a couple of Riviera owners have found them behind the LF kick panel.

My 63s was under rear seat spring

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1