Wannabe '37-'38 Buick owner in Sydney Australia

Hello from Sydney Australia.  My wife and I have decided we would like to buy a '37 or '38 Buick and have started the search.  We already have friends in the Buick club of NSW and have joined the club ourselves in the past few months.  I am looking forward to learning a thing or two about our potential new purchase and hopefully finding a car to enjoy very soon.

Kind regards,

David.

• Like 2

You have good taste.  There are a lot of parts available and they are very roadworthy, with eight cylinders, all steel bodies and hydraulic brakes.  If you have a choice  between the Special and the Century, I would go with the later, because of the 320 engine as opposed to the 248 in the smaller series.  However, there are probably more parts available for the small series.  

I have both “40 Special and ‘40 Century and my Century is a much better driver.  Have fun.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, furballx said:

Hello from Sydney Australia.  My wife and I have decided we would like to buy a '37 or '38 Buick and have started the search.  We already have friends in the Buick club of NSW and have joined the club ourselves in the past few months.  I am looking forward to learning a thing or two about our potential new purchase and hopefully finding a car to enjoy very soon.

Kind regards,

David.

Hi David,

Looks like you are on the right path to finding your Buick with the NSW Buick club. They are out there, just a matter of being patient for the right one to turn up.

And this forum is a great way to learn and is a great resource for knowledge from current and past owners.

And when you do get one please create a running post in either the Pre-war Buick or Me and my Buick section of this forum.

59 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Hopefully @rodneybeauchamp will chime-in here.  He had a '38 Buick a few years ago...

Just my two bobs worth

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

IMG_2865.png

• Like 2

Hello David,

Welcome to the forum. I am a member of the Sydney Club but reside in Canberra.

You are on the right track with seeking either a ‘37 or ‘38 Buick. They are great cars and will give you a great deal of enjoyment.

They are not like todays cars….they are better🤔; They were made to last and represented fine engineering in their time.

They are relatively easy to work on and parts are mostly easy to acquire.  My ‘38 8/40 has been with me since the late 1970s but only fully restored a few years ago. 
I wish you luck with your search and hope to see you posting about your journey along the way.

All the best,

Michael.

IMG_0018.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. I have found the members here to be extremely friendly and helpful over the 7 years I have been a member. Our search for your Buick continues. I am looking forward to the day, you, Michael D. and I can get out on the roads in our Buicks. Cheers Paul  

• Like 1

Have you signed up for the Buick QLD pre war e-magazine?

https://www.buickcarclubaustralia.com/welcome/magazines/aussie-pre-war-buicks/

There is no charge to join the Pre War Division and the E Magazine is free to all who want to receive it.

Send your email address to (removed to reduce scams) to have your E Magazine sent to you.

Currently a LHD 1937 for sale in SE QLD at Au$55,000 [negotiable]

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome, and for the tips and leads in this thread and by PM.

I am very appreciative of the responses from forum members and the Buick community in general.

I have a lot of learning to do, and this forum looks like a great place to get going.

The search continues........

Dave.