Water pump grease

yachtflame

The water pump on my 1930 LaSalle is leaking through the grease stem. I filled it with the only grease I had which is a red wheel bearing grease. That slowed it down but it’s still leaking. I’m wondering what grease should be used. Some type of waterproof grease I imagine.

1 hour ago, yachtflame said:

The water pump on my 1930 LaSalle is leaking through the grease stem. I filled it with the only grease I had which is a red wheel bearing grease. That slowed it down but it’s still leaking. I’m wondering what grease should be used. Some type of waterproof grease I imagine.

I spoke with Tom from Then and Now Automotive about this subject a couple of days ago. He suggested backing the packing nut off and checking to see if the packing and grease was hardened. Regular chassis or bearing grease will harden causing the packing to not seal properly. He suggested pulling out the old packing, cleaning all of the old grease out and putting in new packing and using a genuine water pump grease like mentioned above.

• Like 3

I did remove the stem tube the spring loaded grease cup and cap. They were in good shape but I soaked them in gas for a day then blew them out but the only grease I have is the red bearing grease. I’ll have to get one of the above types.

Thank you all for helping.

Many years ago when I was working as an equipment operator, we had a rig that pumped water and we would have to repack and grease the pump on occasion but I have no idea what type of grease was used.

We just grabbed it from the equipment shop already loaded in a gun and went to town.

I am sure that proper "water pump" grease is the best way to go. If you can get it.

About twenty years ago, I emptied the last of my old can of water pump grease. A couple quick phone calls found the model A suppliers out of stock at the time, with no recommendations.

So I bought a tube of boat trailer wheel bearing grease at the local auto parts supplier. It seamed to work just fine. It is specially formulated to withstand water getting into it, lubricated the water pump shaft quite well, and didn't leak.

In case you can't get the real thing.