Painting an old car with brush.

dodge28

3 minutes ago, jeff_a said:

It looked perfect to me. Not Boca Raton Concours perfect...but I saw the whole 1/2" of water we got last night towelled off and saw nary a flaw.

Good to know, that it is possible to do a good job brush painting if you take the time to do it right. I already knew this but then we have all these stories about granny painting her flivver with a rag mop and leftover house paint. Not the same thing at all.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

On 8/20/2023 at 4:00 PM, dodge28 said:

Now I am ready to do the painting. I do not think I should pay 50 or 60 grand to paint shops.

I recently brush painted my bucket loader with implement enamel and I ran out so I finished the wheels with Imron. 

The wheels came out perfect, as good as if I had sprayed them. No runs, drips or dull spots!

I used a 4" natural bristle brush. I think that I will try my next small paint job with it.

If you decide to use oil base/alkyd paint such as Rustoleum, there is a paint additive called Penetrol that will help it flow out and self level. Penetrol is available at any hardware or paint store. (brushes and roller paint store). Maybe Home Depot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Over 50 years ago I bought a 1950 Meteor sedan with lots of small rust blemishes popping thru it's original pale green paint. My older friend who was a mechanical genius talked me into prepping and painting the car. We started a few small areas with a brush, but he soon took over with a roller. This was automotive oil based paint and it didn't turn out too bad.

here are paints specifically made to roll on. It is good stuff for me. I work slow and sometimes want to leave an area of a panel for some finer finish work.

I like the Transtar primer. It is supposed to be designed for high volume production shops where booth time is at a premium. I like the concept.

Good products.

IMG_0388.JPG.618b033862a9d8313ee51f8b825d069e.JPG

My Mom was the car painted in our family. In post-WWII my Dad had to settle for a used 1940 Pontiac due to the used car shortage. My Mom, a 27 year old farm girl, painted it black with a brush. When he traded it for a new '53 Chevy she was always proud to say the salesman thought it was the original paint.

The thing about brush paint jobs is being too cheap to pay the body man spills over into the paint purchase.

I blow away the stigma of the brush job by thinking of that expensive Oriental lacquered furniture.

• Like 2