1950 DeSoto Custom Sportsman 2 door hardtop $5000 Canadian

Description

1950 Desoto Sportsman two door pillarless hardtop. First year for the pillarless style in Chrysler Corporation cars. 237CID flathead straight six with the fluid drive semi-automatic transmission. Was a sweet running car but it has been off the road for a few years now with some sort of mysterious ignition/electrical issues. Custom Hotrod Scott stainless exhaust. Needs paint, some chrome and front seat bottom cushion reupholstered. Original AM radio that has been rebuilt but not installed, wipers inoperative due to bad motor but an uninstalled replacement is included. Factory shop manuals, parts manual, extra set of rims, and a few miscellaneous spare parts included. Oh yes, and the glass faced Hernando Desoto hood ornament lights up. As far as I know, the only example in Canada. Any questions please call 647.883.1295, no texts please. No trades, no silly offers.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Fossil said:

It's cars like this that make me wish I was 20 years younger. What a nice find. 

Anyone care to guess what made the paint deteriorate down to the bare metal like that?  I've not seen anything like it. 

Combo of old age and poor prep work likely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DrumBob said:

I could buy that car today if it wasn't in Canada. I love the red/black color combination. 

It's easy to get it back into USA. Lots of car haulers will take it from Toronto to NJ. No import duties.

1 hour ago, Ed Luddy said:

It's easy to get it back into USA. Lots of car haulers will take it from Toronto to NJ. No import duties.

I don't want to buy a car from a foreign country sight unseen. I don't have a passport, so I can't go to Canada. And then, I'd also want an expert to inspect it. You know how some sellers are; they don't mention all the stuff that's wrong. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrumBob said:

I don't want to buy a car from a foreign country sight unseen. I don't have a passport, so I can't go to Canada. And then, I'd also want an expert to inspect it. You know how some sellers are; they don't mention all the stuff that's wrong. 

I can understand your reluctance. I'm a Canadian and have American family. Also have a passport so it makes it easier to cross the border. Not seeing a car in person is really a gamble. But I have done it. Only after I talk lengthy with the seller and get some real good pictures and documents. I've come to get a feel for who I can trust over phone conversation and bank authentication. As the USA dollar has a 30% premium over the Canadian dollar, plus all our Canada only import duties it's stopped me from buying much. It works out on a $5000 USA dollar car and location to almost  $9000 Canadian. So not so good for us up here in the frozen tundra. For a USA buyer on this $5000 Canadian price, you can likely get it home in your driveway for a bit over $5000 USD all in.

1 hour ago, Ed Luddy said:

I can understand your reluctance. I'm a Canadian and have American family. Also have a passport so it makes it easier to cross the border. Not seeing a car in person is really a gamble. But I have done it. Only after I talk lengthy with the seller and get some real good pictures and documents. I've come to get a feel for who I can trust over phone conversation and bank authentication. As the USA dollar has a 30% premium over the Canadian dollar, plus all our Canada only import duties it's stopped me from buying much. It works out on a $5000 USA dollar car and location to almost  $9000 Canadian. So not so good for us up here in the frozen tundra. For a USA buyer on this $5000 Canadian price, you can likely get it home in your driveway for a bit over $5000 USD all in.

Thanks for your understanding. As I'm new to the hobby, I'm determined to make the buying process hassle-free, without problems, because if I screw it up and buy a bomb of a car, I'll never hear the end of it from the Mrs. If you're married, you'll understand. 🤣

Seriously, I want to see any car in person, check it out, make sure it runs, drive and stops, get a feel for the seller, and have a clear understanding of what's been done and what the car needs. Then, I want an expert to inspect it top to bottom. Only then will I take the leap of faith. In other words, I have to be careful. When the right one comes along, I'll know. 

IMO this DeSoto Sportsman is not a very good project car mostly because it looks like it was improperly stored outdoors under some kind of a cover for too long. Dampness and condensation formed under the cover and worked its way under every little imperfection in the paint, seriously rusted the body and the paint is now flaking off all over the car. (Take a really close look at the pics). The Kijiji picture of all the rust around the left rear fender perimeter is particularly discouraging. Even the chrome bumpers have been affected. It looks like someone refurbished the car in the past to suit their own tastes. The seats are not correct for a Sportsman and I don't believe this bright red color was offered on 1950 Desotos. The car does not run and this example appears to have traveled 145K miles as evidenced by the wear on the clutch pedal pad. The cracked steering wheel is held together with electrical tape. Is that a master cylinder mounted on the driver side firewall under the hood? What does it do exactly and with the brake pedal still on the floor what purpose would it serve? I just don't think much of the car at all in it's inoperable deteriorated condition. I'd have to pass on this $3900 US car located in another country whether Hernando's face on the hood ornament lights up or not. Just an opinion. 

• 3 months later...

Ok an update on this car. 

I purchased the car

Here is my response to the previous comments

The car is exactly as described

The paint around the rear fender is very light surface rust that rubbed off with some spit on a thumb

The ignition problem was a burned wire replaced and car fired right up

It is a hell of a car for what I paid 

Looking for the pertonix electronic 12 volt module if anyone knows the number that would be great if you could give it to me

IMG_20231128_164636.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 1950sportman said:

I purchased the car

The paint around the rear fender is very light surface rust that rubbed off with some spit on a thumb

Looking for the pertonix electronic 12 volt module if anyone knows the number that would be great if you could give it to me

IMG_20231128_164636.jpg

Congratulations!  It’s always fun when you take a small risk and come away more than satisfied.  I like the front end design of this Desoto.  Don’t think I’ve ever seen one before.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1950sportman said:

Has the car been converted to 12 volts?  If not, I would recommend that you stick to 6 volts.  Pertronix has systems available for 6 volt systems that work fine.  That's what I have on my '41 Buick.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 1950sportman said:

Thanks for getting back to us and congratulations on a great buy. Hope you get many years of driving pleasure out of it. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2023 at 5:49 PM, 1950sportman said:

I purchased the car

IMG_20231128_164636.jpg

Congrats on scoring the DeSoto, and welcome to the forum.  I picked up my first DeSoto a couple years ago and am surprised how few have heard of it and how many dig it. I hope you enjoy the car!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fossil said:

Interesting, Does this also deal with positive ground, Or did you do the 12 volt conversion in positive ground?

53 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Interesting, Does this also deal with positive ground, Or did you do the 12 volt conversion in positive ground?

That's the part about my car that was a real rat's nest. The wiring was part positive and part negative ground when I got it. The battery would go dead. It had been converted to 12v and part of the system was still hooked to the old 6v wiring. I enjoy trouble shooting electrical issues as it was part of my trade. Took part of three days to sort out but now most everything works except the original instruments. I'd like to redo the whole system someday.

I'm using the reducer to run a (not original) ahooga horn from the 30's that I restored. Polarity isn't an issue if wired correctly. I'd like to get the instruments working but haven't gotten to that yet so I can't say what will be involved. 

I just offered the voltage reducer as an option powering the shift solenoids. To my way of thinking it should work but I'm not familiar with what all is in those circuits. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)