NOS ignition point sets

Have a good supply of the early hard to find Northeast point sets for the 1918 to 1926 Dodge and Reo.    Also have N/E rotors and distributor caps.   In addition we have the early Delco caps, points and rotors for the 1916 -1918 Dodges.    tsvanmeet@gmail.com or   402-359-5762     Tom

20230807_085815.jpg

• 1 month later...

Oh Minibago, the moderators on this board will slap your wrist, and maybe whack other parts of your anatomy, if you even mention any criticism of ridiculously sky-high asking prices for parts. You're going to get in major trouble if you have the audacity to say that!  Oh no!  Thought policemen MHinson and Peter Gariepy are going to rake you over the coals! It's been nice knowing you, though!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Minibago said:

Unfortunately you are far, far too expensive.

That is before I add the postage.

Sorry.

Its his/her item, so he/she can put whatever price on it, if it sells or not is the will of the free market.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, maok said:

Its his/her item, so he/she can put whatever price on it, if it sells or not is the will of the free market.

I agree 100% 

No offence intended

I was simply responding to the “bump” 

Bumped because there were no responses.
I was explaining why.

My initial enquiry direct was for two sets of points, rotors and a cap.

Reluctantly, (as I would much prefer originality) I have purchased a brand new VW centrifugal advance distributor complete with points, cap, rotor and condenser which with very minor drive dog modification will fit straight on the original North East mount.

Total cost was less than half of one set of points.

Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know a fellow who's a consultant on auto electrical systems for the major manufacturers, and who's a Mopar kind of guy but not DB, who knows how to have parts replicated and reproduced in Asia. We might want to think about taking up a collection for doing that for the 4-cylinder cars where ignition parts are NLA. It would be cheaper than buying them at these inflated prices, and they would be new. Whatsay, Dodge Brethren?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 22touring said:

I know a fellow who's a consultant on auto electrical systems for the major manufacturers, and who's a Mopar kind of guy but not DB, who knows how to have parts replicated and reproduced in Asia. We might want to think about taking up a collection for doing that for the 4-cylinder cars where ignition parts are NLA. It would be cheaper than buying them at these inflated prices, and they would be new. Whatsay, Dodge Brethren?

I like the idea of having  a way to source stuff in china , but how many parts of each style do you need to make ?

Making 100 pieces of the part above would be a 100 year supply !

I wish AI was easier , it would be cool to scan in a dozen old parts catalogs with photos and compare the part you need with the top 5-10 parts that were close and hopefully easy to adapt .......

Old Buicks does a big service to the antique community. He and his partner make parts for cars of several different makes that are available no where else. He does a good business at Hershey from what I have seen. I have bought from him and will again. I know lots of DB people that have bought from him and are happy. Yes, bawl babies can whine that the parts are expensive. It's not like you have to change ignition parts like you do motor oil. 

• Like 2

Would be nice to see the price in the post. There is a guy selling the 1919=? points on eBay, but for me, the $125 per set is a no go at this point. If I needed a set and car was worth the money, then OK. 

Or why not have a mold built to mold new caps and rotors like they have done? About 15-18 years ago I had a mold priced out to make new caps for injection molding with plastic. Estimate was around $10000 and that did not include the inserts or actually making the caps. No idea what it would cost to make a real bakelite cap like Tom has. And then sell maybe 100 or 150 of them? 

14 hours ago, Minibago said:

I agree 100% 

No offence intended

I was simply responding to the “bump” 

Bumped because there were no responses.
I was explaining why.

My initial enquiry direct was for two sets of points, rotors and a cap.

Reluctantly, (as I would much prefer originality) I have purchased a brand new VW centrifugal advance distributor complete with points, cap, rotor and condenser which with very minor drive dog modification will fit straight on the original North East mount.

Total cost was less than half of one set of points.

Just saying.

Can you give me a model number for the VW distributor? Thanks 

"Yes, bawl babies can whine that the parts are expensive."

I think there are other considerations besides "what the market will bear" as to the price of the item.  If you are running an antique auto parts business, you are also concerned about the value of the business if you were to sell it. That is largely determined by its gross receipts. The value of the business upon its sale may also determine whether or not you are going to leave something of value to your heirs, or whether the business will cease to exist upon your death. IMHO you increase the gross receipts of a business more by charging moderate prices than by charging high ones.  One pertinent example comes to mind:  I think Frank Mitchell could have left a more valuable estate to his heirs if he had sold his parts at more reasonable prices, because he would have had higher gross receipts and the business would have become more saleable.

• Like 1

Having new parts made in small numbers is expensive to do, I understand that.

Selling NEW OLD STOCK at really high prices pushes regular folk to seek workable alternatives.

Early VW mechanical advance distributors fit with a thin bush or sleeve and correct drive dog fitted.

IMG_0661.png.d7023fa7b271df2211611f94c09104b3.png

you can say I am whining Doug but at 80 Australian dollars for the distributor complete with points cap and condenser all brand new and then future parts availability allows for reliability and affordability. I drive mine several thousand miles every year.

IMG_0662.jpeg.fff6a2f2fbf7d1b4bcf65c75a1149926.jpeg

IMG_0614.jpeg

Edited by Minibago
Incorrect picture (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The easiest is to go to General section and put "reproduction distributor cap" in the search. It's the same guys that sell the ignition parts at Hershey, Old Buicks. They explain that the molds for the caps are between 10 and 40 thousand each and they may only sell 100 to 150 caps of each style. A friend spent a lot of time trying to find someone to make new points. He finally found someone that would do it. I THINK the minimum order was 10,000 sets.  So NOS points are worth the price. The reconditioned condensers are hit or miss whether they are good or not. 

Before this gets buried there is something that should be discussed. VW had a design problem with number 3 cylinder overheating. Most blown VW engines happened to number 3. So for years they ground the distributor cam different for that cylinder by about 3 or 4 degrees retarded to compensate for it. With VW firing order of 1432 and DB at 1342 it would effect number 4 cylinder on a DB. You may want to put this Chinese distributor on a machine and check it. Also check the advance curve against what DB used in their unit. 

There is no curve in a North East (not DB) static distributor, the accuracy down to one degree is achieved by moving the advance retard lever manually. I am sure that each and every DB driver has this down to a fine art, moving the lever progressively as the revs rise and returning it as the revs die to ensure the correct advance and retardation to match the varying revolutions of the engine. “The curve as you suggest.”
I mentioned the VW distributor because it is being used widely here in Australia without any issues, it is very inexpensive easy to install and parts are off the shelf. 
I provide details because I was asked.

I have refrained from commenting on your apparent issue with Chinese made equipment.