The Skylark Needs New Wheels

Machine Gun

I'm done messing with wheel covers and hubcaps. My '64 Skylark came with factory spinner-type wheel covers. Some years ago one escaped around a curve and flew over an embankment, never to be seen again. I bought a replacement, and eventually another one tried to get away but I was able to recapture it. I decided to go with dog dish hubcaps. Surely they'd stay on. Well, no. One left the safety of my wheel and crossed into oncoming traffic and was immediately flattened (served it right). So I bought a replacement. That one decided it would rather live in Colorado than NJ (understandable) and made its getaway just outside of Denver last year. It's time for alloy wheels.

My car is fitted with 205/70R14 tires. I want to buy something along the lines of GS-type wheels, but I don't want to spend $500 or more per wheel. There are more aftermarket wheel brands out there than stars in the sky, so choosing a brand and type based solely on price probably isn't the smartest thing to do. I'd appreciate suggestions on brands and types to look for as well as brands and types to avoid. I'd even go used if I could find something within reasonable driving distance of NJ. Suggestions would be appreciated.

23 minutes ago, Machine Gun said:

I want to buy something along the lines of GS-type wheels...

That would be my first choice also, though it really comes down to what you like.  Torq Thrusts look great on most any car, IMHO.

image.png.004e0975968a964c1d54571443eb18b4.png

One thing to consider, however, would be to switch to 15" wheels in order to expand your choice of tires.  I think 14" tires are getting harder to find.  Step-down in sidewall height to maintain the overall height (i.e., replace the 70 series 14" tire with a 60 series 15" tire).

• Like 3

The original chrome Skylark road wheels are around. I suggest learning about the offset. The wheels on the 64 would have had no offset. This makes it easier to get the rear rims off, which can be a problem with the wide offsets sold as new units in todays market.  But there are varying amounts of offsets available and if you find used rims you will want to have a matched set.

• Like 2

Above is a chart of the Rally wheels Buick used. As you can see, the 14" wheels are all 6" wide but different offsets or back space as it is referred to in this chart. The first and second designs will not work with disc brakes because of the back space. 

The 14" seem to be more easily found than the 15". At least that is my experience. 

Hope this is helpful and good luck,

Loren@65GS.com

• Like 3

A FEW things to consider.  Is the ODOMETER accurate enough to suit you at the present time with the present tire size?  This can determine what size (revs/mile) you end up with.  The revs/mile specs for the particular tires can be found in the "Specs" section of the particular tire's "page" at www.tirerack.com.

White wall, black wall, or white letter?

Brand of "modern rubber" tires for better fuel economy and better handling?

What type of "look" is desired?  OEM, custom, "hot rod"?

Shop prices, shipping, and availability.  Plus what the local tire stores might have or have access to and such.  A national chain as Discount Tire might be an asset in this.

To me, a very good result would be the Wheel Vintiques Buick 15" chrome wheel in 15x6 5x4.75 sizing and about 3.5" backspacing.   With a P215/75R-15 whitewall tire.  Or perhaps a P215/70R-15 might more closely match the existing diameter, but in a whitewall?

As a guide, from AMA Specs for 1970 Skylark Custom.  Tires _ G78-14 fiberglass belted  771 revs/mile    Approx 3600 lbs weight

From AMA Specs for 1964 Chev BelAir 4dr sedan.   Tires - 7.50x14 bias ply  800 revs/mile    Aprox 3673 lbs weight

From AMA Specs for 1964 Chev BelAir 4dr sedan.   Tires - 8.00x14 bias ply  785 revs/mile    Aprox 3673 lbs weight

IF you might desire "Made in the USA", the Wheel Vintiques might be the ticket as almost ALL of the current brands of alloy wheels (of which there are TWO main conglomerates owning such) are cast elsewhere, as I understand it.  Many of the current brands have evolved from older brands of the 1960s, if they are not under their prior name.

Just as for the tires, shop price!  One advantage of Discount Tire is that they can do tires as well as wheels, for a package deal, FWIW.

Lots of choices!

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spent a bunch of time researching wheels yesterday. So many wheels! So little time! It's like reading the menu of a modern New Jersey diner. I can spend an hour paging through the 50-page menu before I finally give up and order a cheeseburger like always. It would be so much easier if there were only a few choices, like back when you could choose eggs and hash browns, burgers, or meat loaf.

@JohnD1956 Before I buy anything I plan to search for used OEM wheels. That would be my preference. Loren's chart will be a huge help with that search.

@NTX5467 I'm going to keep the 14" tires. My speedometer and odometer are surprisingly accurate with the current setup, so no complaints in that department. I have a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw blackwall tires that I bought form Tire Rack. I'm very pleased with them. I like plain. No lettering, black sidewalls, no nothing. I do prefer made in the USA, but frankly there's nothing that I found from Wheel VIntiques in my size that I like.

@Loren@65GS.com Your chart is very helpful, thank you. FYI, the backspace on my stock steel wheels is 4". I have lots of wiggle room in the wheel wells, but I plan to stay as close to that dimension as possible.

@EmTee Your wheel suggestion from American Racing is the top contender so far for both appearance and price. The other contender is this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/opg-s210052/make/buick/model/skylark/submodel/base/year/1964 The Summit Racing wheel has the edge in appearance over the American Racing one, but I'm willing to spend that much more only if I can confirm that the wheel is US-made. Manufacturers and vendors are getting pretty cagey about where their products come from. I'm fortunate to be able to afford US-made products. My motivation comes more from the desire to support US manufacturing than from not wanting to support our economic and political adversaries.

Thanx guys for your responses. 

Edited by Machine Gun (see edit history)
  • Like 2

If you want "simple", there are several takes on the Chevy Rally Wheel which are now priced nicely at Summit Racing.  From several brands of steel wheels.  Can be used without trim rings, but have the nubs for hub caps or similar.  In the 15x7 5x4.75 4.25" backspacing, thye were about $70.00/each.  I suspect the 15x6 or 14x6 sizes would be cheaper.

For my '70 Skylark 2dr hardtop, years ago I got a used set of 15x7 factory chrome wheels.  I was planning on keeping the factory look by putting P215x75R-15 whtewalls on them.  Just need center caps.  Keeping the look of the factory 14" chrome wheels, but in 15s.

NTX5467

• Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 7:23 AM, Machine Gun said:

I'm done messing with wheel covers and hubcaps. My '64 Skylark came with factory spinner-type wheel covers. Some years ago one escaped around a curve and flew over an embankment, never to be seen again. I bought a replacement, and eventually another one tried to get away but I was able to recapture it. I decided to go with dog dish hubcaps. Surely they'd stay on. Well, no. One left the safety of my wheel and crossed into oncoming traffic and was immediately flattened (served it right). So I bought a replacement. That one decided it would rather live in Colorado than NJ (understandable) and made its getaway just outside of Denver last year. It's time for alloy wheels.

My car is fitted with 205/70R14 tires. I want to buy something along the lines of GS-type wheels, but I don't want to spend $500 or more per wheel. There are more aftermarket wheel brands out there than stars in the sky, so choosing a brand and type based solely on price probably isn't the smartest thing to do. I'd appreciate suggestions on brands and types to look for as well as brands and types to avoid. I'd even go used if I could find something within reasonable driving distance of NJ. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe you need to take those corners a little slower?

• Haha 2

If you decide on the Buick Chrome wheels, you may post a "Parts Wanted" add both here and sites like V8buick.com.  A lot of the skylark guys shed the 14-inch wheels for 15-inch ones, so you may come across a nice set someone has tucked away and would make available to you at a reasonable price.  I know I have a very nice set of 15-inch 5x5 wheels that were on my Electra when I got it, which I'm keeping "just in case".

Cheers,

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, dmfconsult said:

If you decide on the Buick Chrome wheels, you may post a "Parts Wanted" add both here and sites like V8buick.com.  A lot of the skylark guys shed the 14-inch wheels for 15-inch ones, so you may come across a nice set someone has tucked away and would make available to you at a reasonable price.  I know I have a very nice set of 15-inch 5x5 wheels that were on my Electra when I got it, which I'm keeping "just in case".

Cheers,

Good idea. I do plan to post a want ad today or tomorrow.

I have never been very happy with aftermarket wheels. I have sold a few sets after short use. My best luck has been with swapping factory wheels in an unlikely combination that flows with the car.

It's my own personal taste but yet another set of the ubiquitous Buick chrome styled steel wheels would be like wearing the uniform of the individualists club. You car would look fine with wheel covers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

You car would look fine with wheel covers.

I agree, but I can't keep the damned things on the car! I really like the original spinner covers but I'm tired of losing them, as well a whatever else I put on the steel wheels. Wheel VIntiques sells aftermarket steel wheels that I could probably use my wheel covers with, but that would be a lot of money to spend just to find that they won't hold my wheel covers any better than what I currently have. Maybe I'll get lucky and score a decent set of original chrome wheels, otherwise I'll go with aftermarket.

I have a new problem that has to be dealt with, which bumped wheels to Priority #2. My limited slip rear started chattering. I'll post a separate thread on that issue.

• Like 1

Change the oil and add this:

image.png.30c3617a2b83b0435bb105e1ad5bcd0a.png

I had a '77 Century with a limited slip axle that started doing the same thing.  New oil and the GM additive quieted it in short order.  Your biggest problem may be finding the right gasket for your axle cover.  After 3 unsuccessful attempts on my Riviera, I gave up and used Permatex gasket-maker...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Change the oil and add this:

image.png.30c3617a2b83b0435bb105e1ad5bcd0a.png

I had a '77 Century with a limited slip axle that started doing the same thing.  New oil and the GM additive quieted it in short order.  Your biggest problem may be finding the right gasket for your axle cover.  After 3 unsuccessful attempts on my Riviera, I gave up and used Permatex gasket-maker...

Check out my new thread on the subject.

• Like 1

You could just go for the rat rod sedan look and forget about the hub caps and such.  Just paint the hub and rear axle center satin black and put some chrome lug nuts on the studs (which would be the factory '69 Super Bee 440 6-Pack look).

NTX5467

• Haha 1

I would be inclined to put a couple of these in the rim bead if I was experiencing the same issue.

Uxcell M6 Furniture Metal Double End Thread Self Tapping Screw Bolt Stud Fastener (20-pack)

Innocuous nuts to hold the cover on, maybe three of them on each wheel to give it a balanced look.

• Like 1

@NTX5467 The rat rod look isn't my thing by a long shot. I know the look has become somewhat popular in recent years, but not with me. I generally pass them by at car gatherings.

@EmTee Really? Something I'd have to keep clean and polished? 🤨

@60FlatTop Interesting suggestion.

I still haven't gotten around to posting a want for GM wheels.

I'm not a real fan of rat rods, but I appreciate the work needed to get there.   BUT that orientation is kind of "cost-related" too, just as hubcaps used to be, rather than full wheel covers.  On some cars and such, they don't look bad, even with whitewalls but they also bring up the "Che_______" words, from back when ONLY high-performance cars only dared to bare their lug nuts.  And when upscale car brands always had full wheel covers, because after all, they were "better" car brands.

But for somebody desiring to emulate the "police car look", blackwalls and hubcaps are the ticket.

Your car, your money, your dreams . . .

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, NTX5467 said:

I'm not a real fan of rat rods, but I appreciate the work needed to get there.  

Your car, your money, your dreams . . 

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I agree completely. I've said in other threads how I appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into a well-executed custom. I just happen to dislike the look of most of them. I would drive a rat rod only if my pocketbook required it, but otherwise no. 

The issue is wheel flex, not tire movement on the wheel, which would affect wheel balance, as I understand it.  I had a similar issue on the rh frt wheel of our '66 Chrysler.  Although the wheel had two nubs about an inch on either side of the valve stem and corresponding places on the wheel cover, to limit wheel cover movement, they still moved.  The valve stem was the only actual travel limiter!!  So I just took off the valve stem extension and re-installed that wheel cover such that the valve stem hole was away from the stem.  ONLY on that one wheel, even if the tires were rotated.  With bias ply or bias-belted tires.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

I had a similar issue on the rh frt wheel of our '66 Chrysler.

Interesting. I went back and read the first entry again. One wheel cover was lost and the replacement came off. It does appear to be one wheel giving the problem.

@60FlatTop Actually I lost wheel covers on both front wheels. The one that escaped over the embankment flew off the passenger side, and the other cover and hub cap came off the driver side.

I still have to post a want for OEM chrome wheels. If come up dry I'll most likely buy the ones made by Restoparts and sold by Summit Racing. I posted an inquiry and was told that they're currently made here in the US. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jim,

I have a friend that has a set of 14" Buick rally/sport wheels. They are about 2 1/2 hours away though, so I'm not able to get pictures. I'd ask her to, but they are up in the garage attic, and it has been unbelievably hot here in the Midwest.  As I recall, they were in pretty nice condition. If you are interested, I can contact her about them.

Loren@65GS.com

• Like 1

Loren:

Yes, please ask your friend about her wheels. I'm definitely interested. No worries about not getting photos right now, I can wait until things cool off out there. When you contact her, please ask what she might want for the set.

Jim

4 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

Loren:

Yes, please ask your friend about her wheels. I'm definitely interested. No worries about not getting photos right now, I can wait until things cool off out there. When you contact her, please ask what she might want for the set.

Jim

I will do that. In fact, I will take care of it asap before it escapes me. 

Loren@65GS.com

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

I got pictures of the wheels, fourteen pictures in total. A lot to post to this thread. I can email them to you. 

They are 14 X 6 and all the same code, which is "JJ, 991". The back space is 3-1/2" according to the chart at Team Buick. 

My opinion is they are in overall excellent condition. One has an extremely tiny nick at the outer front edge. To me, the spot looks like it could have been made by the installation of a wheel weight. I have a picture of it. The back side in the spoke area of all four have light rust. 

Sport wheel 1.1.jpg

Sport wheel 1.2.jpg

Sport wheel 1.3.jpg

Edited by Loren@65GS.com
pictures added (see edit history)
  • Like 1