1953 Buick Super Convertible.

Dandy Dave

195354, Thanks for the info and the offer. Keep checking this post. Just focusing on getting the old wiring harness out. I was inside the drivers door yesterday. Looks like the cylinders have been replaced as well as much of the hydraulic lines running to them. The wiring harness is still mostly original and definitely needs replacing. Found some wires that have been burnt and hot from a short somewhere in the circuit. After removing the access cover. Note, no fuse in the holder for the dome light. No surprise there as the wires going to it were really bad.  

IMG_6365.JPG

IMG_6369.JPG

IMG_6366.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

No power brakes on this Super. Inside the door. Looks like the window cylinder in this door at least has been replaces at some point but quite a while ago as it has plastic coated wire. Some rust is visible. The power window switch unit on the drivers door with the wires attached.  The original harness that runs though the door to the cylinder is original cloth.

IMG_6368.JPG

IMG_6370.JPG

IMG_6371.JPG

Another manual that I ordered came yesterday. I ordered this first. Looks like I have the info in the 52 section of this book that is not in the 53 Manual. The 53 manual came with an owners book. Looks like it is good to have both. Now to search for a parts book. Looking around I see there is two parts manuals. Chassis, and Body. 

IMG_6372.JPG

This place has both. They are reproductions. They used to sell a big book with both, but not sure if they do anymore. https://www.ebay.com/str/faxonautoliterature?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=no9Qnws9TFG&sssrc=3418065&ssuid=yuwGKnR4Rry&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by retirednow (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 7:50 AM, tompett said:

Convertible TOP switch

The bracket under the dash is for the Top switch, not ash tray. 

TomP

50-53 Switch top control 6-12V.JPG

50-53 Switch top control C 6-12V.JPG

Thanks for the photos and location. I had a suspicion when I found the location of the map lights were behind the ash trays that are up high in the dash. Wires in every direction in this car. 

On 9/12/2023 at 9:01 AM, 60FlatTop said:

The voice in my head said "Now, that's a good intention."

The biggest red flag I have seen in the hobby is the "fun" car. The only thing scarier is hiring a carpenter who says "I think I can save you some money".

I am curious. Have you checked the location of the original hydraulic pump to see if there actually aved re abandoned holes in that location?

I did not see this post from before. Burnie, I have not got too deep into the original pump other that it has one wire I removed that energizes the solenoid from the door switches. And maybe the seat switch also. And a bunch of piping running out of the junction block in the back. Keep looking. As far as saving money.... No corners to cut that I can see. If it needs to be done to be safe as possible, it will be done.

• Like 1

More progress today. Most of the wiring harnesses are out. One to the front. One for the door windows, seat, and top controls. And one long one to the rear for everything back there. Plus a lot of little stuff. Rhode Island wiring here we come. 

IMG_6384.JPG

IMG_6386.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

• Like 3

Pulling wires out of this thing today I noticed the original starter relay was partly disconnected. Someone has added a solenoid to the left inner fender that is obviously not original equipment. And the vacuum switch is disconnected on the carburetor. Makes me wonder what they were thinking? Solenoid on the starter looks like it will work if hooked up correctly.

IMG_6394.JPG

IMG_6395.JPG

IMG_6396.JPG

Ahh yes. Nothing like the right tool to get things together and apart like they should be. This is what should have been used to tighten and loosen the control knobs. The harnesses crated and ready to ride. 

IMG_6390.JPG

IMG_6389.JPG

IMG_6393.JPG

Removing the wires from the rear seat area earlier in the day. Second photo. Is this switch to the left of the rear seat for the dome light? It was not hooked up. There was an extra wire in the trunk that fed the dome light. I suspect it may have fed this switch.

IMG_6378.JPG

IMG_6380.JPG

IMG_6383.JPG

Just one in the rear on the folding top crossmember JD. Two wires were in the trunk. One was not connected to anything and it is long enough to reach. Should go to ground when the switch is on to complete the circuit. 

Got thinking about the wires in the steering column and removed them yesterday. Glad I did as one broke off of the signal switch when I barely touched it to remove it. Original cloth covered wires and they are brittle. Rhode Island wire trip today if all goes as planned. Horn wire was replaced at one time with plastic wire but while I'm here it is also getting replaced. It had to be removed to get the steering wheel off anyway.

IMG_6398.JPG

IMG_6399.JPG

IMG_6400.JPG

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Around the necks of the two people who rewired that car?

Redneck engineering at its finest. It would drive me nuts leaving pieces like that in the bottom of something where they did not belong. Thinking maybe insulators for the horn wire connector to keep it away from the steering shaft. 

1 hour ago, Dandy Dave said:

Thinking maybe insulators for the horn wire connector to keep it away from the steering shaft. 

I think those are too thick for that purpose. Likely tried to use them that way, but left for another day when they realized they should have been installed before putting the new wire into the column. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

After a long northeast winter and a lot of set backs caused by things out of my control I'm finally back on this 53. Got the new wiring harness, which took quite a long time to get back, out of the box and on a shop table. In the box it looked like every color of spaghetti you could think of. Thinking of starting under the dash and steering column and working outward. Hmmm... Wednesday is prince spaghetti day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Progress yesterday. New signal harness soldered to the switch and installed along with the horn wire inside of the steering column. I fished a wire up though the column. I then used string tied to the 6 flat connectors to pull each one through one at a time, Longest one first to shortest. Hooked the mechanics wire to the string and pulled those though first. Took a bit to get the connectors aimed the right way to slide through.  Shop table with new harness sets yet to be installed.

IMG_6747.JPG

IMG_6748.JPG

IMG_6749.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking up rubber parts that are needed for the harness to be correctly installed. I'm coming against a brick wall trying to find the Boots for the wires to go through for the front parking and signal lights. I've looked though Steele Rubber products and found what I need for the rear plus other stuff but nothing for the front lights. I also found the head light gromets on line and have them on the way. I would think the front ones would be out there also. Anyone have a source?

I don't know a direct source, but did you try any of the vendors listed on our locked topic under the general tab? Otherwise, since the 54 used a similar headlight trim, might they be available for that year and adaptable to the 53?  Also, I imagine these are the same for the 53 Skylark so any group specializing in those cars may be able to assist.

• Like 2

I've checked the catalogs I have from Steele Rubber, one of them is specifically for the 53 Buick. While the catalog does have a decent list, there are still quite a few missing items.

Try calling Steele and send pictures to help you locate the part. I did this with one item for my 53, which was the floor grommet for the hydraulic lines of the power windows. Steele tried their best to assist me, but couldn't find it. Thanks to those that helped me on the forum, I was able to find it listed as a Cadillac part. Steele had the part in stock. I asked if they had a GM catalog to help me locate other necessary items, but  they don't have one. I now request a catalog with any orders I place. Currently, I have a 53 Buick only catalog, a universal catalog, and a street rod catalog.

I have located a few items needed in the universal catalog. I wish the web sit had a GM only tab so we could do research. 

I've spent more time than I should searching for certain items on various websites, I did manage to find what I needed from a few other vendors. Whenever I find an obscure part I do my best to post the part number and a picture. Dave, I also needed the rubber boot for the turn signal, so please keep us updated on your search.

Steve 

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2024 at 10:17 AM, Dandy Dave said:

I've been looking up rubber parts . . . the Boots for the wires to go through for the front parking and signal lights  . . .

The boots and wiring came with the light assembly and were not a part of any wiring harness, Make your own by using a spark plug boot, slice it length-wise and wrap it around the socket-end and wires. Tape around the boot and then brush on a coat or two of liquid rubber or PLASTI DIP.

HEIFImage.jpg.8beae79cd88eb2114ec0cadd5166b7f4.jpg  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 1953mack said:

The boots and wiring came with the light assembly and were not a part of any wiring harness, Make your own by using a spark plug boot, slice it length-wise and wrap it around the socket-end and wires. Tape around the boot and then brush on a coat or two of liquid rubber or PLASTI DIP.

HEIFImage.jpg.8beae79cd88eb2114ec0cadd5166b7f4.jpg  

I was thinking I would have to make something up. Many Thanks for this.