Look what I found in a PA antique shop!

In 1903, Peerless began using pretty ladies in their advertising. Ever other month, their advertising featured a different "Peerless Girl."   For ten cents postage, you could buy a large print of her without the car to distract your attention.  Early "pin-up" art I guess.

They were printed on inexpensive newsprint type paper and when framed, were often backed with wood or cardboard.  The acids bled through and the vast majority of them surviving are badly toned and discolored as a result. 

We were ion the AACA Tour in the Denver PA area, which is loaded with antique shops and malls.  Wzile rummaging around in one smaller shop last day of the tour, I spotted this one hanging high on a wall in the back corner.  It was partly obscured by other stuff, but I recognized it immediately.  It's a real prize and best of all, I managed to pack it into the back of our MG for the ride home.

Now to find the rest of them! Maybe i should be looking for one of the cars to display with them too.

Terry

Peerless Girl 1903.jpg

Peerless Girl as found.jpg

Peerless Girl 1.jpg

Peerless Girl signaure.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 16

4 hours ago, raysgraham said:

That is very nice . What size is the print Terry?

Size is 15" x 30" - not including the frame.  The frame is not as old as the print for sure but I like it. I'll add an acid-free mat and backing to protect it as the print is currently directly in contact with the glass.  It's in great condition though

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryB said:

You were most likely the only person who knew the connection of the girl to the car.  Excellent find.

Probably true.  It's still a great image of a lady dressed for a trip in an early automobile so certainly would have caught my eye anyway.

Terry

On 6/30/2023 at 7:26 PM, Terry Bond said:

Now to find the rest of them! Maybe i should be looking for one of the cars to display with them too.

Terry

Terry, let me be the first to support you in this excellent idea of yours!  I think you would enjoy a Big early Peerless. 

I love small town rural antique stores. That is where I find most of my treasures. I always make friends with the owners, and if their price upfront is very fair, I never try and negotiate them down. I am more interested in building the relationship with them, than squeezing a few extra dollars out for me if they have good stuff and a good eye. Two of them have now become good friends and they are actively always looking for things I like when they go to estate sales and picking.   They call me, shoot me pictures, do all the hard negotiating with the seller to get the best price they can (and they are really good at that), and they buy it and put a little juice in the deal for themselves for the trouble.

Terry, i’ll bet at least 1000 people laid eyes on that photograph of that woman and turned away with no appreciation of it. Your background and experience in the hobby prepared you to be the eyes that didn’t look away and said “I will take that”.  

like the Beatles in Drive My Car..... “i’ve got no car and it’s breaking my heart but I found a driver and that’s a start”

you’ve got the Peerless girl, now go get that car!

Yay, Terry, you two made a good find! I think it may be one of the harder Peerless Girls to find, too.

1903/1904 Peerless cars are rare, but not impossible to find. There were 3 1903's at the 58th Annual Pebble Beach Concours; and a 1904 was for sale at the Amelia Island auction in 2019. For some reason there are lots of 1910s....and the surviving cars 1900 through 1932 are only as rare as Model Js.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 9 months later...