1926 Willys Coach - $7,900 (Idaho)

1 hour ago, sunnybaba said:

What kind of engine has the water hose coming into the center of the head like that... and a down draft carb...???  what model & year engine is that...??

and... the radiator is a transplant as well....

It appears to be a later Willys L-head four cylinder, likely from a Jeep.

'26 Overland OR d.jpg

'26 Overland OR b.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

It appears to be a later Willys L-head four cylinder, likely from a Jeep.

'26 Overland OR d.jpg

Well, that sort of makes sense? Sad though. Although it could still be a lot of fun for the right person, it is still a (relatively) modern engine swap and pretty much ruined as a "nickel era" antique. It used to be that picking up a Willys Overland or Whippet engine/transmission/radiator and rebuilding it wouldn't be too difficult. These days, I don't know, most of those spares took the one-way trip to China and cost to rebuild them has gone through the roof!

Hopefully someone can get some enjoyment out of it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JFranklin said:

That Jeep engine is basically the same block, I have been told by a Whippet hoarder.

So is this Willys actually a Whippet? To me, the engine compartment looks way to long for that Jeep engine.

The 3 speed transmission.. looks to be out of the jeep too... meaning it will have a synchromesh  transmission.... look at the shift lever in the photos... it is way forward of the emergency brake..... sitting almost horizonal..... both engine and transmission are very practical upgrades... if you want this to be simply a Driver...

• Thanks 3

• 5 weeks later...

I suspect this car is a 1926 Overland Model 93 which was a six-cylinder on a 113" wheelbase.  The serial number plate would show it was a product of Willys-Overland Motors of Toledo, Ohio so that was good enough for registration purposes.    The current Willys Jeep four-cylinder engine leaves lots of space.

'26 Willys- Overland OR a.jpg

23 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I suspect this car is a 1926 Overland Model 93 which was a six-cylinder on a 113" wheelbase.  The serial number plate would show it was a product of Willys-Overland Motors of Toledo, Ohio so that was good enough for registration purposes.    The current Willys Jeep four-cylinder engine leaves lots of space.

'26 Willys- Overland OR a.jpg

What you talking about Willis?

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Still Available, Price Reduced to $6,900: 8-26-2023:

1926 willys for sale by owner - Fruitland, ID - craigslist
Seller's Description:

Price Reduced located --About 4 Miles from Ontario Need garage room, runs, drives, has turn signals. 4 cyl. motor/3sp.trans. IF on here it's still for sale
Copy and paste in your email:  35cb546ab796303798ccd84cdc53a30e@sale.craigslist.org

• Thanks 1

Seems like this would be a great way to get into a mid-20s driver for a fair price; were it not on the other side of the country I'd have to give it a lot of thought. I admire that someone kept it all Willys. I wonder how easily one of their later flathead sixes could be swapped in? 

12 hours ago, Bryan G said:

Seems like this would be a great way to get into a mid-20s driver for a fair price; were it not on the other side of the country I'd have to give it a lot of thought. I admire that someone kept it all Willys. I wonder how easily one of their later flathead sixes could be swapped in? 

Bryan G:

If this car is an Overland Model 93, those were powered by a 169.6 ci L-Head six-cylinder with a 3.00" X 4.00" B & S.  The L-Head six-cylinder W-O started for the 1948 model year was a 148.5 ci with a 3.00" X 3.50" B & S.  In 1950, they increased it to 161 ci with a 3.13" X 3.50" B & S.  There is a good chance the later engines would fit in that engine bay, though the 161 ci might be a bit longer block.

Steve