26 Model T

RustyTinman

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Depends on several things

Such as if you only drive in school zones, have a prescription for tranquilizers or give a hoot about being at the head of a long line of traffic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Model T Fords aren't bringing a lot of money. I have seen several, very nice, restored vehicles that sold for around $7,500-$8,000. They are basically a Sunday morning bagel run car or a parade vehicle (if it doesn't overheat), 25-35 mph car. Slow, mechanical brakes and lack of comfort features limit its use. It might be a nice car for Pennsylvania two lane roads, but be courteous to the traffic behind you and pull over to let them pass.

• Like 4

Are you looking to buy that one? Or sell that one? Or maybe a different one?

1926 and 1927, Ford did offer factory accessory bumpers. However, That rear bumper is not one of the factory ones. Does it have a front bumper? Does it match the rear bumper?

The car pictured has obviously suffered from some neglect. How much? Does it actually run? How well? does it have a Ruckstell? Other desirable accessories? Maybe accessories or alterations that hurt the "value"?

Seriously, from that one picture it could be "worth" anywhere from $3000 to $10,000. Possibly even less than $3000. From that one picture? Realistically, it is "probably" worth between $6500 and $8000. "Probably", it could be made to run with just a little effort, and "maybe" it could be usable as-is for some good amount of time? From the one picture it looks decent enough to be enjoyed.

I love model T Fords! They are a lot of fun, and a lot more drivable than most people give them credit for! The "Montana model T 500" just finished the other day! That is a 500 mile (really!) race in Montana every year for I think over forty years now! The winning car (a longtime family friend of mine by the way!) averaged just over 53 mph for the entire 500 miles! Totally stock Ford factory model T! Their rules are very strict, with the winning car torn down for inspection after the race. Some, very little, "enhancement" is allowed, mostly only better balancing. Everything else MUST be within Ford T factory design specifications!

Model Ts aren't as fast as they used to be (don't ask, I don't want to get into trouble with the moderators). But they are still fast enough as long as one can mostly stay off of major highways and freeways.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 6

I have had three like the car in the picture ranging from disassembled to the best in the world.  Mine have ranged from 2200 for the disassembled project car to about 17,500 for the show winner. To me this car is probably about a 5500-6500 cat, but only if you know the mechanical aspects of the car.

If nothing is done mechanically plan on $5500-6500 for the engine and transmission,  $1500 for the radiator,  $2500-3500 for a rear-end/driveshaft rebuild, $1500-2000 for the front end and steering gear and $3500 for tires, tubes and getting the wheels up to snuff (I digress and ask myself why am I broke all the time?). 

While a 26-27 T is clearly a labor of love,  I feel they are definitely worth the effort. Bottom line if you are thinking of buying this car to "flip it and make a bew bucks" forget about it. If the car is mechanically good, you'll never peel the smile off your face. Good luck.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

When ericmac says " to the best in the world"? Believe it! Because of distance, I never saw his car myself in person. However, I have known him through a couple forums for many years, and personally known several people that had seen his touring car up close and personal! His car won the awards to claim it as the "best in the world" for that year and model. And everyone I know that saw it up close agreed that it deserved that claim!

Hey Eric, How is the four-door sedan coming along?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

When ericmac says " to the best in the world"? Believe it! Because of distance, I never saw his car myself in person. However, I have known him through a couple forums for many years, and personally known several people that had seen his touring car up close and personal! His car won the awards to claim it as the "best in the world" for that year and model. And everyone I know that saw it up close agreed that it deserved that claim!

Hey Eric, How is the four-door sedan coming along?

Wayne, thanks so much for the kind words....better than I deserve.

The '26 Fordor (which we have since determined is really a '27 as it is a late December '26 build) is stalled while waiting for some things. The upholstery kit is about 4 months backordered (if I'm lucky) and I'm waiting for nickel. It is completely rewooded and the doors are hung. The body is in primer and I'm down to a bare chassis. Next up is painting the frame and rebuilding the rear axle. Then I will be coming back the other way with the chassis.  My goal is to debut the car in October 2025. I just happen to have a certain show in Pennsylvania in mind. Some of you may have heard of it!

I did not purchase the model t. However I ran across a great deal on a 30 Model A and brought it home. Thanks for all the responses on the t. Thanks Dave 

Screenshot_20230626_162033_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230626_162028_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230626_162022_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230626_162016_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230626_162039_Facebook.jpg

20230626_150705.jpg

• Like 4

Model A Fords are also good! Great cars, important in a historical sense, as is the model T. Both model Ts and model As have wonderful club support, very active groups that provide comradery and regular activities as well as advice when needed. Touring with local clubs can be a lot of fun and surprisingly educational even to people that have lived their entire lives in a local area. This land has so many incredible local histories and hidden treasures, that nobody knows them all even in a local sense. However, someone in the local club will be familiar with them, and if they are really good will likely recommend a local club tour to them.

Some of us lean toward earlier cars (maybe the crazier among us?), and prefer the model T. Others like the better road manners of the model A. Both are wonderful choices to drive and enjoy.

And what is the story on the Nash in your final photo? It looks really nice! That is a whole another world of history and driving! However, it is hard to beat the parts dealers and club support for the models A & T.

• Like 2

Thanks for your input. The 25 Nash was a transport from Saginaw Michigan to Washburn,Wisconsin. Found the model A on Market out of Grandrapids Mn.