1989 Sterling $2,000 or any offer

Marketplace - 1989 Sterling 827 SLi | Facebook

Product photo of 1989 Sterling 827 SLi

Product photo of 1989 Sterling 827 SLi

Driven 43,000 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Black · Interior color:

Seller's Description

Replaced fuel pump + filter, have a replacement vehicle so not needed. Odometer died at 43k, new unit swapped in before it died, still have old unit. Blower motor for the AC/heat seems to have stopped functioning since sitting for a bit. Power sunroof, Automatic Honda 2.7L V6 Rebuilt title $2000 obo
See less

• Like 1

I remember these...an interesting idea that was sort of Japanese mechanical reliability with with British interior trim. Much better than the reverse. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1957Birdman said:

If I am remembering correctly, these cars suffered from having Lucas "Prince of Darkness" electricals. I'm sure Honda wasn't happy with the result.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

A friend had one - the reliability was more Rover than Honda.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, I wonder why some of these manufacturers did these "off brand" Euro influenced cars back then.  It's not a bad looking sedan. 

From Wikipedia --

Sterling was a brand name of automobile marketed in the United States by Austin Rover Cars of North America (later renamed Sterling Motor Cars), a division of the Rover Group company of the United Kingdom. It was sold in North America from 1987 to 1991, during which time Rover was in collaboration with Honda of Japan. Models sold were the Sterling 825, Sterling 827 and a limited production Sterling Oxford Edition based on the 827.  

Discontinuation - Combined with the effects of the strong British currency, Rover was losing money, and recovering lost ground with the facelifted car and its coupe sister was not deemed possible, and Rover Cars announced its withdrawal from the North American market in August 1991. At the time of the announcement, the company had sold fewer than 2,000 units so far that year.

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

So, if I understand the Wikipedia article, the above noted Sterling would be the one to get, since it's the top of the line SLi model.  Largely Honda, from what I have read (minimally) and basically an Acura Legend, it's a curiosity that I am pretty sure will end up in a Des Moines area U Pick It Yard where it will be curiously by passed. 

Edited by B Jake Moran (see edit history)

As I recall, they had a 4dr sedan and this, the 4dr hatchback.  I remember seeing a few of the sedans and like the look, but I don’t remember ever seeing the hatchback. And the SLi is the one to get.  You’d almost feel like you needed a 5dr Merkur to go with it and complete your obscure collection.  Even better, you could have gotten both of them with a manual.