Hood not closing evenly on passenger side by windshield

ReattaPDX

I have a 88’ coupe that has been basically unused for the last year and is out in the elements.  I have noticed that the last few times when I needed to move it that the hood was resisting going up and down.

Tonight I was hooking the battery up to move the car and the hood was resisting more than usual.  When I closed it I noticed that it jutted up a good inch or two on passenger side close to window.  I opened it back up and lubed all of the hinges, and while it moves much free now, I am still getting the gap.  

Did I damage it by essentially forcing it too many times?  I don’t see any dents or bent hinges, and the air shocks seem to be working well.  I am stumped....any hints or tricks to make it close properly?

Thanks a million,

Luke

Edited by ReattaPDX (see edit history)

• ReattaPDX changed the title to Hood not closing evenly on passenger side by windshield

Thanks JobFan.  Will take a picture and post tomorrow.  I don’t see any creases or dents on that side of the hood, but yeah I agree that it is plausible.  I should had lubed the hinges before it got so bad, but I guess I just assumed that it was the struts wearing out.

31 minutes ago, rogold99 said:

If your hood struts are mounted upside down it could cause problems with closing the hood.

I ‘think’ that they are the original.  The hood closed so much better once the hinges were oiled.  

Sorry it took so long for the pictures.  It still is not closing right as evidenced by the picture with hood closed.  I wonder if it is an issue with the hinges, and therefore not closing properly?  I know.......wishful thinking.  

There is a crease on the outer edge of the hood right above the area where the hinge attaches to the hood.  I didn’t see until right now.  Not sure if the other side matches it, but I doubt it.  Maybe if I got someone very overweight to sit on the edge where it juts up?  

9D5B0E5E-84AC-41DB-BA66-459423A8C7A2.jpeg

EFF2FABB-74A6-4E33-987B-646DDCDC2AFF.jpeg

Edited by ReattaPDX (see edit history)

Luke, one of the best methods checking this is to get a  two  small pieces of  1x1 lumber about six inches long,

place one piece under the side that closes correctly in the gutter about  6 inches from hood  closing edge,

then go around and push down carefully on other  side and see if it goes all the way down now on side  or if it is sticking up 

further, if it is sticking up further  yes hood probably has a permanent buckle or bent, but if it goes all the way down, one strut

will be the problem and have to be replaced.  

Edited by Wayne R (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, EmTee said:

I would start by removing all of the organic material from the cowl and hinge area.

You got a point, but I seriously doubt that is what is causing the problem LOL.  Hey, I live in Oregon, and we have more trees here than there are people in the US.  Probably.

2 hours ago, Wayne R said:

Luke, one of the best methods checking this is to get a  two  small pieces of  1x1 lumber about six inches long,

place one piece under the side that closes correctly in the gutter about  6 inches from hood  closing edge,

then go around and push down carefully on other  side and see if it goes all the way down now on side  or if it is sticking up 

further, if it is sticking up further  yes hood probably has a permanent buckle or bent, but if it goes all the way down, one strut

will be the problem and have to be replaced.  

Thanks Wayne.  But if I am only testing one side, why do I need two pieces?  

thanks,

Luke

OK, I tried the trick with the 1 inch block of wood, but used compressed styrofoam instead as I couldn’t find a piece of wood to work.  I even made it a bit bigger in case it compressed a bit, which it didn’t.

It does close most of the way down now, with just a little sticking up.  I noticed that there seemed to be a bit of slop or play in the hinge assembly and/or the shocks.  The added pressure on the affected side seems to help with getting it in place.

BTW, to all concerned I even removed most of the foreign matter :).    I really need to get a small leaf blower or something.

I'd pull the gas lifts off and see if the hood lays flat.  If so, then your problem would seem to be old lifts that need to be replaced.

• Like 1