63 F100. Helpful pointers on how to restore

TKill_Marine

I’m posting here to gather sage advice on how to start, what to look for, plan and proceed with a restoration.   I acquired a 63 F100 w/ original engine and automatic transmission.  Both function good.  Will need to be gone over in totality.  Need to know if it’s better to start with chassis/drivetrain and suspension or tackle the sheet meal first.  Not too much room and space available on my property.  I’m retired and my future son in law will be a major helper in this.  Looking for advice on possible improvements or upgrades to be made, what to “start on first”, is there a “order”, labeling, color taping, paints, etc.  I know I’ll do an excellent job of disassembling but the assembling part I’ll have an issue with B/C I’ll overthink it.  Thanks!!  (P.S. novice at the wheel of this restoration 😏

1st rule - before disassembling ANYTHING take many,many pictures. You can never take too many pictures of a part or parts to see, later on, how they go together. It could be months or years before you get back to reassembling things and memory doesn't always come through.

2nd rule - bag,tag,label everything and be very specific about what is what and where it goes. Then store them in a place where you won't lose them. Don't laugh, it happens. Keep a very detailed inventory which will come in handy when you send stuff out to be worked on, too.

3rd rule - get a shop manual and a parts manual. They will be your best friends in the long run.

• Like 3

I like to get the mechanicals sorted out before cosmetics, because there's less risk of damaging your expensive body and paint work. Others figure if the B&P work is done first it's an incentive to finish the mechanicals.

Bag and label ALL small parts and fasteners. Plastic ziplock storage bags are perfect for this.

The 1963 Ford factory truck shop manual is a must. Parts books too if you can find them.

Is this a "unitized" truck, or separate cab and bed?

• Like 1

First decide the QUALITY of restoration you want.  

The #1 problem in any restoration project is “goal inflation”. 

The most difficult thing to say when fixing/restoring a car is “Stop this is good enough”.  

Example: 

I’m going to tune up the running engine 

Its not running good enough, I’ll pull the heads

Since I’ve gone this far, might as well pull the engine for a full rebuild 

Since the engine is out I’ll clean up the Underhood. 
As long as the engine is out I Might as well paint the inner fenders

Rather than paint, I’ll disassemble all the front sheet metal and powder coat everything. 
Now that I can clean and paint the front of the frame, the frame under the cab and bed look really bad, I’ll just go ahead and pull the cab and bed……

Now you are one year into the job and you are staring at a pile of parts that you can’t remember how to reassemble. And the cost has gone from a thousand or so dollars to tens of thousands to paint and buy all the parts for reassembly. 

This is where many people give up and put it on Craigslist as a project.  You have likely seen the ads and wondered how they happened. 

Advice?

Start small. Don’t start any additional jobs until the one job is finished FIRST.  

Don’t aim for or expect a mint prize winner with your first project. Just making it reliable and shiny will be much more difficult and expensive than you could ever imagine. 

• Like 3

It really doesn't matter what you tackle first, but pick a point and start.  Break it down into mini projects and complete each one before you tackle the next one.  You will get rewards for your accomplishments at the end of each step rather than a pile of parts and overwhelmed at moving forward on the project.  This way, you can mostly keep it on the road during your restoration.  I like to tackle the mechanical and electrical systems first and then the body work and paint.

• Like 1

Joe Cocuzza's advice is dead on. I didn't take near enough pictures.Don't take it for granted that you will remember where and how all the parts go back because you won't. I'm three years into my '51 Pontiac restoration and I have several bagged and tagged parts that I have yet to figure out where they go.

The shop manual is a must,but still lacks detailed pictures and information on how some things go together. There are no '51 Pontiacs anywhere near me to look at for reference.I'll get it figured out.I just don't know when.

m-mman is also on the money. Many parts are stupid expensive,but you will have to have them. Just don't give up.It will come together.

• Like 1

After several restorations I have concluded that it is best to start with the body first. This is because I am a much better mechanic than I am bodyman, but I like to do everything I can myself, and I am very slow with the bodywork. If I do the mechanical first it ends up sitting for months or years and not being run while I do body. If I get the bodywork done, the mechanicals go fairly quickly. Tha'ts just me. You can assess your abilities.🛠️

• Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 10:16 AM, Joe Cocuzza said:

1st rule - before disassembling ANYTHING take many,many pictures. You can never take too many pictures of a part or parts to see, later on, how they go together. It could be months or years before you get back to reassembling things and memory doesn't always come through.

2nd rule - bag,tag,label everything and be very specific about what is what and where it goes. Then store them in a place where you won't lose them. Don't laugh, it happens. Keep a very detailed inventory which will come in handy when you send stuff out to be worked on, too.

3rd rule - get a shop manual and a parts manual. They will be your best friends in the long run.

I agree 100% the parts you save and restore can really save you frustration in buying aftermarket that don't fit quite right. Take your time with #2 and keep good notes. Before starting any project research the truck carefully. One of my most valuable books is the parts manual. If I need a part (broken or missing) I look at the parts manual first and find out will the year before, or the year after be the same part, or is this one year only. Shop manual is also essential. Know your car!

Best of luck. 

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)
  • Like 1