Fuel gauge grounding wire?

Pete Phillips

Working on a 1948 Super, older restoration, fuel gauge not working. So I removed the tank and found that the ground wire for the sending unit was attached to the outer half of the sending unit with a small hose clamp, squeezing it against the metal fuel line.  I verified that the gauge and sending unit are working when I temporarily ground (touch) the side of the sending unit to one of the body bolts. Obviously, the little grounding wire and eyelet are not going to fit on the body bolt. So, I'm asking: Where do you guys normally ground your gas gauge/sending unit wire? What do you attach it to? First photo shows where the grounding was attached. Second photo to get attention!

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0122.JPG

I usually drill a small hole (~ 1/8") in the frame rail adjacent to the tank and attach the ring terminal on the ground wire to the frame with a self-tapping screw.  I have used both the sending unit screws and a clamp around the fuel line (like above) on different occasions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Most  european cars they are attached to the sending  unit,  probably because they are kept clean, and dry.

In fact  with  seventies Alfa Romeo, the  both positive, negative, ground ,  wires ran inside at the  back of the trunk

under carpet, and they had a connection there.----And that is an Alfa s owner best way to protect his car, as it only took 

a minute to disconnect that in the trunk.---i  accidently did this to mine years ago  , and  forgot to reconnect  and you get about 50 yards then car stops.

3 hours ago, Wayne R said:

Most  european cars they are attached to the sending  unit,  probably because they are kept clean, and dry.

In fact  with  seventies Alfa Romeo, the  both positive, negative, ground ,  wires ran inside at the  back of the trunk

under carpet, and they had a connection there.----And that is an Alfa s owner best way to protect his car, as it only took 

a minute to disconnect that in the trunk.---i  accidently did this to mine years ago  , and  forgot to reconnect  and you get about 50 yards then car stops.----Sorry i have to put this right   all to sending unit correct, but the wires also went to fuel injection  pump, that is the connection i was talking about  where it can shut off.  All early Alfas  had a fuel injection  pump  called Spica    fitted to USA only.

• 2 weeks later...

Pete,

I made up a long black wire attached to one of the sender unit screws and followed the sender wiring up into the bodywork and fixed it to a tail lamp bolt on my Skylark so I didn’t have to drill another hole. Covered it in black protective cloth to prevent damage.

On my ‘38 did a similar thing but found a suitable screw on the chassis or bodywork.

Both worked well for me.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

IMG_6196.png

Edited by rodneybeauchamp
Added information (see edit history)