Trunk lock

etownster

It seems that the key for my 39 Buick special 40 trunk lock can only be removed when the trunk handle is in the closed position and locked such that there is no way to leave the trunk unlocked. The key when rotated to the unlock position can not be removed regardless of the handle position.  This key serves for the door locks, trunk and glove box. A second key operates only the ignition. Is this as expected vis a vis the trunk lock or is the key or lock defective?

1 hour ago, etownster said:

It seems that the key for my 39 Buick special 40 trunk lock can only be removed when the trunk handle is in the closed position and locked such that there is no way to leave the trunk unlocked.

That is how my 36 Pontiac operates. It's probably normal.

My '41 has the same trunk lock.  I have been told that it is quite easy to modify it so that the key can be removed when the latch is in the unlocked position, but I haven't tried to do it.

On my car, there is only one key for all purposes.  I think that was standard for '41, I don't know about other years.

I guess the only risk when removing the key with the cylinder unlocked is that contents of the trunk won't be secure when the car is left unattended.  On the other hand, the way mine currently works it forces one to move the handle to the latched position and then lock the handle before the key can be removed.  Modifying the cylinder to allow key removal without locking might result in someone accidentally forgetting to latch the lid and stuff could fall out into the road under acceleration.  I'm guessing this may have been the rationale behind the way the engineers designed it.

• Like 1

My 37 must have been modified because the key removes in unlock position just fine. Is it possible the locking assembly is like modern house key assemblies where if they've been put in place incorrectly they don't allow the key to be removed correctly?

That brings up a related subject. I've been meaning to ask. Does anyone else have the passenger door with a key lock but the driver door does not. Might be another clue that mine have been modified.

Edited by Skidplate (see edit history)

The passenger side lock is normal. Most cars of the period are like that. You were expected to exit on the curb side in those days.

I am sure the "cant remove the key" thing is normal. Somebody probably did modify that. I believe you take it apart and grind away some metal. At an Early Times Chapter event (Pontiac) someone was telling me exactly how to do it, but as I wasn't really planning to I didn't take notes.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Skidplate said:

Which is probably why going to a column shift in the late 30's was such a big deal improvement.

That, and the fact that 3-across seating was pretty common.  Shifting into first and third could be awkward unless the middle passenger was a close friend or relative...  ;)

• Haha 2

Etownster , I think someone has put a new ignition lock on your car.  The last time this came up I remember looking at my either 40 or 42 Buick owners manual and it said one key works everything and the car is supplied with two keys.. I don’t remember exactly how it is worded but that is the gist of it.    (It’’s also why I have three keys for a Chevelle, the ignition wore out and the locksmith couldn’t re-key the aftermarket ignition key). My ‘50 Buick even came with one key for all.  Your owners manual should confirm that.

As for the way your trunk lock works, that is how one of my forty’s worked for a while.  I understood it could be changed to make it work like you wanted it.   The car was a recent restoration and from an estate.  It had a new lock. But after I had it for about ten years and after wear and use, al of a sudden one day, the key would come out in any position.  I have two other forties, and that s how they work.  I guess once it gets worn and sloppy enough, it will work the way you want it to.

Edited by Century Eight (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yep, one key fits all locks originally on the car back then. 👍