1940 Super Radiator

kingrudy

Expensive!!!

The old radiator may be able to be re-cored.  The bottom tank usually has rust issues, lacking that the core can be replaced and you will be good to go.  While you're at it change out all three of your radiator/cooling system hoses and repack the stem on the heater valve.

Try these guys, about an hour and 3/4 east drive for you. http://www.mckinneyradiatorsvc.com/

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, kgreen said:

Expensive!!!

The old radiator may be able to be re-cored.  The bottom tank usually has rust issues, lacking that the core can be replaced and you will be good to go.  While you're at it change out all three of your radiator/cooling system hoses and repack the stem on the heater valve.

Try these guys, about an hour and 3/4 east drive for you. http://www.mckinneyradiatorsvc.com/

Thanks Ken, I'll give them a call tomorrow. There is no place in Asheville that can do this and I do not want to fit something in there that will look stupid, but you do have to stay cool! Hope to see some more pics if the Roadmaster. 

33 minutes ago, kingrudy said:

Thanks Ken, I'll give them a call tomorrow. There is no place in Asheville that can do this and I do not want to fit something in there that will look stupid, but you do have to stay cool! Hope to see some more pics if the Roadmaster. 

Ken, Never been this route before. Can the radiator be dropped beneath the car, or do I have to remove the hood and take it out through the top?

Thanks, Mike 

3 hours ago, kingrudy said:

Just got back from the shop and was advised that my 1940 Super needs a new radiator. Any suggestions?

What did they say was the reason that you needed a new one?  Is it possible that it can be repaired?  Maybe you should get a second opinion.  Just sayin'.

• Like 1

I have had many iron radiators either rodded out or the replaced  core by old skool radiator shops that use solder and a torch. If I were you I'd be asking the shop why they're condemning your radiator.

From what I understand after removing the hood, the water pump is then removed in order to tilt the radiator towards the engine and then pull it upwards and out. I wouldn't think it would come out from the bottom. It's most likely a 2 man operation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neil morse said:

What did they say was the reason that you needed a new one?  Is it possible that it can be repaired?  Maybe you should get a second opinion.  Just sayin'.

I was thinkin on my feet Neil, I mentioned that maybe it could be repaired. Sometimes the mountain folk here only think of what exist in Asheville. It's kind of like civilization hasn't completely arrived, but it is nice here. Seems as though the lowest pass on the radiator has sprung a leak. 

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)

4 hours ago, kingrudy said:

Ken, Never been this route before. Can the radiator be dropped beneath the car, or do I have to remove the hood and take it out through the top?

Thanks, Mike 

I replaced radiators on my 39 & 41 Buick hood removal yes. Carefully remove water pump with fan attached(you'll find out why), use cardboard on the face of radiator even with pump & fan removed, safe than sorry! Get ready to bend that ol' body! Cover fenders well. Try to Shanghi a helper, it's heavy enuff picking off the floor, let alone maneuvering around finished stuf on Ur car! Good luck! I went a shop that had giant size commercial radiators 8' square, figured they could do my 41 they took it apart fixed leaks and in a week I happily paid 300.00. Too bad shipping is God awful or you could ship it compared to others I've heard about. I asked the old guy why everybody wanted to recore not repair, his very logical answer, " They don't know how to repair!"

Edited by 2carb40 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, 2carb40 said:

I replaced radiators on my 39 & 41 Buick hood removal yes. Carefully remove water pump with fan attached(you'll find out why), use cardboard on the face of radiator even with pump & fan removed, safe than sorry! Get ready to bend that ol' body! Cover fenders well. Try to Shanghi a helper, it's heavy enuff picking off the floor, let alone maneuvering around finished stuf on Ur car! Good luck! I went a shop that had giant size commercial radiators 8' square, figured they could do my 41 they took it apart fixed leaks and in a week I happily paid 300.00. Too bad shipping is God awful or you could ship it compared to others I've heard about. I asked the old guy why everybody wanted to recore not repair, his very logical answer, " They don't know how to repair!"

Thanks Greg, I am going to try and get in touch with McKinney Radiator in Denver, NC, about two hours from my house (Thanks to Ken for the tip). I've had the hood off a couple of times and I will be careful, it is a game. 

All good advice in the responses. As for taking a radiator out through the bottom of the car, I’m reminded of a statement that a construction manager once said to me: “ yeah it can be done, but why do a tonsillectomy through the anus”.

• Haha 2

Lifting the radiator out of my '38 was not easy, but I did manage to do it myself.  The bigger problem was managing the hood, as that is large and awkward to handle.  I used lots of blankets and fabbed a sling for the hood, but if you can manage to find a helper it will go much easier...  ;)

When you take out the radiator to have it rodded out or re-cored it would best to get the crap out of the water jackets by draining the block via the square headed plug at the base of the block near the distributor.  That way your nice clean radiator stays clean!!!

10 hours ago, EmTee said:

Lifting the radiator out of my '38 was not easy, but I did manage to do it myself.  The bigger problem was managing the hood, as that is large and awkward to handle.  I used lots of blankets and fabbed a sling for the hood, but if you can manage to find a helper it will go much easier...  ;)

Yup, three years ago I had to remove the hood (can't remember the project) and I had my neighbor help me. He was 80 at the time and I felt terrible after it was done. I think I'll sub this one out and be there to supervise. 

16 hours ago, kingrudy said:

Yup, three years ago I had to remove the hood (can't remember the project) and I had my neighbor help me. He was 80 at the time and I felt terrible after it was done. I think I'll sub this one out and be there to supervise. 

On 5/23/2023 at 6:01 PM, kingrudy said:

Ken, spoke to McKinney Radiator yesterday to inquire about their experience dealing with radiators of our vintage. Owner stated that he has been doing this for 57 years and that repairing my radiator should not be a problem. He also stated that he has worked on several Barrett - Jackson cars and never had any complaints. He also stated that he repairs gas tanks if that is needed. I feel real comfortable having him making this repair.

Thanks, Mike 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 6:01 PM, kingrudy said:

On 5/23/2023 at 5:11 PM, kgreen said:

Expensive!!!

Drove to Denver, North Carolina to drop off radiator at McKinney Radiator. He does all the work himself and he has been doing work on large industrial radiators and vintage autos for 57 years. I feel that he has had enough practice that he will be able to "boil it out" and make repairs as needed. I feel comfortable with Rex taking care of this. 

• Like 2

Picked up the radiator today. Repair of small hole in the core and Rex said that the rest of the core was in great shape. Did the flow test and that came our great. There was a significant amount of crud in the core, but totally clean now. Total cost $150 and that included a pressure test on a small heater core that I hope to have installed before the end of summer. Finally I had some good news to give the wife. I would recommend McKinney Radiator to anyone in North Carolina, or the surrounding states. An honest guy who knows what he is doing. Rex stated that if I had needed a new core, it would have run $780.

Edited by kingrudy (see edit history)
  • Like 5