Tires, tubes and talcum powder. Is cornstarch okay?

Stude Light

Alas, my big container of talcum “baby” powder I used for coating the inside of tires. tubes and flaps to keep things from sticking is empty. Due to the lawsuits alleging cancer and asbestos from talc, all I can find on the shelf nowadays is cornstarch based powders. I assume that should work similarly but thought I would ask if anyone has experience using it.

Cancer aside, that stuff will screw up you lungs badly. Avoid breathing it. I bought a can of tire talc when I ran out a couple years ago, and it is still available. A quick look on amazon just now for "tire talc" netted 5 brands of the stuff, including the "tip top" brand I bought a couple years ago. I have also used the cornstarch based baby powder and it seemed to work fine to get the tube all sorted out, though I often wondered what would happen if it got wet.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

While both are organic, cornstarch is plant based and talc is mineral. I wondered if cornstarch being plant based would cause it to get gloopy in the tire and cake when dry whereas, talc would remain somewhat stable. Maybe they both remain somewhat stable returning to their original state but have avoided cornstarch and use talc.