Seller Scam ?

ARUCKEY

Just now, ARUCKEY said:

Anyone familiar with "Azucena  or minamienrev26767@gmail.com. Considered sending payment via paypal but seller insists on "friends and family"  ????

Never use the friends and family unless that who you are really sending it to.  No buyer protection and your money is as good as gone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harold said:

Offer to add a couple of bucks to cover the PayPal fee.  If that idea is rejected, I'd pass on the deal.

When I was presented with an offer that smelled funny, this is just what I did. I sent the payment with $5 or $10 extra. The guy sent it right back to me, refusing the "sale". Any legitimate seller would gladly take this offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Crusty Trucker said:

I guess I am a PayPay neophyte but, why would a legitimate seller accept an over payment and a scammer reject it?

There are no fees basically with the Friends and Family way of transferring money, but once the money is sent it is gone, there is no way to get it back and the receiver has access to the money quickly.   The other method of sending money where the seller sends you an invoice on PayPal results in fees being charged to the seller similar to credit card fees of around 4% but the buyer has recourse through PayPal to get their money back if there is an issue with the transaction with PayPal taking the money back from the seller and there can be a longer hold on the funds as well.   A legitimate seller factors those fees in.  As an aside I have had buyers offer to cover those fees and I have had them also send me the money by their choice through the Friends and Family.   I would never ask for it that way, and I am upfront that I prefer the invoice method as it offers they buyer some protection. 

• Like 1

Thanks for great information. Seller sent me a couple of photos of generator he is selling.  Found the exact same photos another person on E-bay has listed, along with the same part number! It's is a scam!  Another good reason to be an AACA member and getting help from fellow members. We nipped this one in the bud !  Great Job !

• Like 1

If one has any doubt about a purchase that seems hinky for any reason, move on. Regardless how bad you may need that part. 

I got an email the other day, guy asking what parts I needed for my car. It was linked through a popular car site (not this one). Some time ago I was looking for parts so I responded to the email asking what he had. Still thinking it was legit at this point. He sent me a picture of a beautifully restored trans am and said he was parting it out. My response was that it was ludicrous to destroy such a nice car, instead to sell it whole. Again the response was that after he had his surgery he wouldnt be able to drive, hence the reason to part it out. Made and still makes zero sense to me, which I responded then deleted.

• Like 1

The issue with Paypal starting this year is you will receive a 1099 for all money received after $600. That means the “hobbiest” would need to keep records of what he paid for items, how much was for shipping and how much for fees so that he can declare profit to the IRS to pay taxes.   How many of us who sell the occasional parts to subsidize our addiction want to do this?  What about the parts you sell from a “lot” that you bought because you needed one part in it?   Friends and family payments don’t get reported for 1099 but aren’t intended to be used for purchases.  
Pay by check or USPS money order.  Sellers can wait for the check to clear before shipping.  

• Thanks 2

When PayPal started doing reporting in about 2014 or so my wife and I received a letter from the IRS dunning us for over $20,000 worth of items she had sold for friends and family over the course of the year including the money my Son-in-Law got from the proceeds of dissolving a business. Most items were large and relatively expensive  including a couple of trucks and digging equipment. Luckily my wife had good records which when she wrote it all up satisfied the IRS and they dropped the case. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Luckily my wife had good records which when she wrote it all up satisfied the IRS and they dropped the case. 

Keeping good records is key - been there, done that, could share an interesting and (now) amusing story about dealing with the IRS and their admission of their misunderstanding

• Like 1