What is this tool? Rim spreader?

K8096

Probably mainly 1920s I think. They were aftermarket for lots of cars.

A useful thing to try and figure out is whether it is for a Model T with 30x3-1/2" clincher tires (23" rims and relatively narrow), or if it is for some larger car.

27 minutes ago, sagefinds said:

Adds a second spare to the existing rear spare.

Thanks for clarifying that--you are more precise than I was.  I have one of those available if anyone is interested, purchased at Hershey 25 yrs ago in the remains of the original box, so never on a car.  I doubt I still have any fragments of the box left, because what was there had no manufacturer's markings.

There IS one on our 1916 D-45 Buick.  My Dad passed away before I had the chance to ask him for the key.  Our local locksmith had to contact an old time locksmith in Kansas City who had the books that went back far enough for the key code.  Once we had that the outer spare tire and rim could be removed.  I have watched for a HURD key blank and so far nothing has turned up.  If you have the original key for yours, is it Brass like I suspect it is?

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

1 hour ago, K8096 said:

I don’t have the key for mine.   I’d like to see a picture of one mounted on a car.   I don’t think I quite understand how it mounts and holds the rims 

OK, lets say you have a car with demountable rims, probably on wooden wheels. You have a spare rim with a tire on it, probably hanging on the back of the car because it's the 20s, but I don't see why it couldn't work on the side.

This doohickey in the pictures hangs a second spare rim and tire. You hook the doohickey under the existing spare rim in 3 places, and under the new second spare rim in 3 places. Then you tighten the screw until the doohickey is tight under both rims. Now the doohickey and both rims are hanging there on whatever bracketry was meant to hold the first spare rim.

• Like 3