SPRING BAIL ON BACK OF DIETZ LAMP?

TOM H. S.

Spring Bail on Back of a Dietz Lamp: What is it for? Is this where Rita the Meter-Maid would attach your Parking Ticket???

This is a most curious Spring Bail of the sorts I've never seen before. Does anyone know what it's for???

Thank-you AACA Folks, Tom

DIETZ KEROSENE LAMP REAR SPRING A.jpg

DIETZ KEROSENE LAMP REAR SPRING B.jpg

I believe that was to clip the lamp to a leather covered dashboard on your horse drawn buggy. You could also mount the lamp using the spike mounting hole on the side.

" Driving lamps" were in use long before cars. Think of driving a heard of cattle or driving your horse and wagon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right. Surprising how many of those have survived  You can still find them in unused condition.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Layden & Terry, Thank-you so very much! That totally makes sense, as this relic of a lamp is called "DRIVING LAMP" on the backend where the RED Lens is located. I've seen the same Lamps in perfect condition that still have their carrying Bails on them folded over the backside by the Spring Bail.

Tom,

Practicality was highly prized at the time! Light the lamp in the house from the fireplace or stove and carry the lamp by it's bail out thru the darkness to the barn. Clip onto the buggy and harness the horse for your errand. Reverse the procedure when done and enjoy the benefits of modern living!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What are the patent dates stamped in the back of the lamp? I have two of those, nearly identical, that came with my early gasoline carriage. One of them has only patent dates in the 1890s, the other has an additional patent date a couple years after 1900.

Just being curious.

• Thanks 1

Hi Wayne S.,

Please see 3 photos of back of lamp. It's very interesting that even back in 1897, 1905 & 1907 they were entering the abbreviated dates just the way we do it these days ( 97, 05 & 07 ). Found no Patent Number, just the dates and the word "PATENTED" and of course 2, 5 pointed stars. I believe this lamp body was coated with a layer of diluted tar because when it chips off it reveals bright shiny steel underneath. Since this Lamp got smashed top and bottom I may try to see if it comes apart. The front lens was broken in place and I think I can epoxy it back together with glass repair glue. Tom

UnionDrivingLampC.jpg.f47e5956e621040c02e4a5411fe2084d.jpg

Union Driving Lamp A.jpg

Union Driving Lamp B.jpg