Six-Volt Battery for a 1928 Chevy

Don Regier

I always sort of looked sideways at Optima batteries as a fad but I tried one last year in my '39 Packard after being unable to source a Group 1 locally. Their 6 volt batteries are compact, lighter than a normal Group 1, and more powerful, plus they won't off-gas and damage stuff around them. I'm going to transition all my cars to Optima from this point forward, and I plan to wire two together in parallel on my forthcoming '40 Packard with the big ol' 356 straight eight.

• Like 5

I had to replace the 6 volt battery in the '25 Chey last year. I was surprised that the local Napa auto parts store had the exact one in stock.

Apparently there is still a lot of older farm equipment that use them. $80 as I remember. 

• Like 2

Tractor Supply has group 1 on the shelf. They fit lots of old tractors!;)

You need a starting battery, not a deep cycle or golf cart battery battery. Usually this information is in the description of the battery.

• Like 1

I have used an Optima 6v battery in both of my pre-war cars for almost 20 years now.

A single Optima will crank over the 8 cylinder in my Pierce without issue.

The original battery box is obviously much larger than the single Optima so I use a cut down piece of 4x6 post to take up the extra space.

This keeps the battery from moving around in the box but it can be a little bit of a pain to pull the piece of wood out.

The easiest way is to disconnect both cables, use a battery strap that attaches to the terminals, lift the battery out then remove the wood.

Everything is nice and tight in the battery box with the wood cut to fit just right.

• Like 1

BTW - the first Optima I used in my Pierce lasted for 6 years without issue.
I removed that one from service only due to age and not because of performance.
I keep that one charged as a spare and to this day it still holds a charge and has been used to jump other's 6v cars when needed.
That original battery is almost 20 years old now.

8 hours ago, zdillinger said:

I always sort of looked sideways at Optima batteries as a fad but I tried one last year in my '39 Packard after being unable to source a Group 1 locally. Their 6 volt batteries are compact, lighter than a normal Group 1, and more powerful, plus they won't off-gas and damage stuff around them. I'm going to transition all my cars to Optima from this point forward, and I plan to wire two together in parallel on my forthcoming '40 Packard with the big ol' 356 straight eight.

I've been using 6 Volt Optima for probably 20 years,

and in the '41 Cadillac when I received it in '06, the previous owner, an owner of four NAPA stores, had a pair of 6 Volt Optimas in parallel, and 000 cables. Cranking  power like you wouldn't believe.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

X2 on the Optima. I used one in my 34 Packard with a custom built box.

DSCF5538.JPG

DSCF5560.JPG

DSCF5561.JPG

DSCF5591.JPG

Are you still using that battery in your car?

The date on the battery would mean it is now almost 10 years old.

If you are, how is it holding up?