Marquette battery chargers restoration

Bhigdog

I just picked up this Marquette charger model 215. I'm guessing 1950's / 60's. It seems to be working but will need refurbishment, new cables, paint etc etc.

Two questions............

1. does anyone have any paper or manuals on this 215 and/or a 322NS Marquette?

2. I'd like to replace the water slide decal logo. Any recommendations on a repro supplier?

Thanks.............Bob

20230315_130013.jpg

Edited by Bhigdog
update (see edit history)

I doubt anyone makes a new decal. Your only hope might be to photograph it and transfer it to your computer. Then correct colors etc in Photoshop or Paint until you have a new looking logo and finally, print it out on your printer. There is a clear plastic decal film for such jobs.

• Like 1

Maybe your best shot would be to carefully clean and polish and go for the patina look. I have seen some rusty old cars with worn paint that cleaned up amazing. Your charger looks pretty good. It might clean up almost like new. No doubt there are videos on Youtube that could give you some ideas.

15 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Maybe your best shot would be to carefully clean and polish and go for the patina look. I have seen some rusty old cars with worn paint that cleaned up amazing. Your charger looks pretty good. It might clean up almost like new. No doubt there are videos on Youtube that could give you some ideas.

Actually there are people that make one off water slide decals. A bit spendy though. I was going to go the entire "restoration" route, bead blast, paint, new decals etc, etc, but I'm liking your thoughts better. Compound the paint, a bit of cleaning, touch up here and there, and new red and black cables ( $42 for 4 gauge 10 footers including lug connectors) Thank you amazon.

Let it show it's age and character............Bob

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

It might be easier and cheaper to buy a set of jumper cables and cut off one clamp.

As usual a few ways to skin a cat. I opted for welding cable because it's designed to be uber flexible. Mega multi strand, pure copper, with a rubber outer covering. The stuff I bought is as limp as a dead snake. Most car jumper cable is copper plated aluminum with a plastic cover. Since the welding cable Is copper I was able to both crimp and solder the lug terminals.

Well worth the price.............Bob

I found it on FB Marketplace. I often have breakfast with my neighbor who does old car repair and metal stitching. I showed him a pix and he said he saw it on FB and was going to buy it but it disappeared. He laughed that I stole it from him...............Bob

A proper crip is better than solder, and for flexibility, solder will put bending stress at a point for all the strands, where crimping will spread the bending stress over an arc that is different for all the strands. Just ask the airplane industry....;)  Now, would I use crimp only under a car? No, I like to waterproof as best I can also.:D

8 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

A proper crip is better than solder, and for flexibility, solder will put bending stress at a point for all the strands, where crimping will spread the bending stress over an arc that is different for all the strands. Just ask the airplane industry....;)  Now, would I use crimp only under a car? No, I like to waterproof as best I can also.:D

Good point. Never realized that but it makes sense. ......bob

8 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Pontiac bud found this discussion on a slightly different Marquette charger.

https://garagegazette.com/index.php?topic=130.0

Nay to using modern jumper cables unless you can save those hefty original clamps. 

I also have one of the 322's. Bought both both chargers the same day from different people. The 322 seems to be totally dead but I haven't done anything except plug it in. If I get it functional it will need a complete re-paint and likely lose the Marquette decals. I obviously have too much time on my hands..............Bob

20230315_130055.jpg

• Like 2

A  battery charger is basically a step down transformer and a rectifier to change the AC to DC. What usually goes is the selenium rectifier. You can change it for a diode bridge but the diodes are far more efficient and double the output of the charger. You can allow for that by only using half the transformer.

There are other details to it but the rectifier is the main thing. I have put old battery chargers back in commission before, usually the rectifier, a few bits of wire, and a small light bulb and it is good as new.

• Like 1

The 215 ( barrel shaped ) one seems to be good. It puts out stepped 6 and 12 volts depending on switch position. It has a one of a kind 12 position rotary switch that's a bit wonky but works fine. Switch is a work of art. Silver contacts, little roller for detents, etc, etc. They don't build them like that any more.

I may look at the 322 tomorrow. It's totally dead but there may be hope. Instructions on machine say if it's dead check the 1073 bulb inside. I just happen to have a few 1073's so there's hope. The 322 is a diode machine............Bob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well both chargers are finished. For the R2D2 looking one ( model 215 ) I decided to just take the clean and polish approach although I did put new cables and a line cord on it. I like the used but still proud look.

The other one ( model 322 ) was dead. When I opened it up, without having any schematic or manual, my heart sank. Where in the Hell to begin in the jungle of wires.

20230320_134226.jpg.eb68df187e52f98e7c4e325b68453b63.jpg

Long story short it took the better part of three days to trace wires, figure out the circuit logic, find a broken wire, figure out where it belonged, and find and replace an intermittent relay. After that it was just a matter of bead blasting, cable changing, and general repairs. With careful masking I was able to save the decal logos. Rather than go nuts with a "restoration" I opted for a rattle can refurbishment of the 322 and a clean and polish of the 215.

They both are fully functional. The 322 will stay in my upper shop/garages and the 215 my lower garage.

I really enjoyed the project especially since before this I knew little to nothing about battery chargers.

I posed them in front of the 1930 something Ingersol-Rand compressor I restored a couple of years ago. It's a family photo.....Bob

202303327133315.jpg.b943efa0f6d6507f3adc38127b8e3296.jpg

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 10

• Bhigdog changed the title to Marquette battery chargers restoration
6 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

Well both chargers are finished. For the R2D2 looking one ( model 215 ) I decided to just take the clean and polish approach although I did put new cables and a line cord on it. I like the used but still proud look.

The other one ( model 322 ) was dead. When I opened it up, without having any schematic or manual, my heart sank. Where in the Hell to begin in the jungle of wires.

20230320_134226.jpg.eb68df187e52f98e7c4e325b68453b63.jpg

Long story short it took the better part of three days to trace wires, figure out the circuit logic, find a broken wire, figure out where it belonged, and find and replace an intermittent relay. After that it was just a matter of bead blasting, cable changing, and general repairs. With careful masking I was able to save the decal logos. Rather than go nuts with a "restoration" I opted for a rattle can refurbishment of the 322 and a clean and polish of the 215.

They both are fully functional. The 322 will stay in my upper shop/garages and the 215 my lower garage.

I really enjoyed the project especially since before this I knew little to nothing about battery chargers.

I posed them in front of the 1930 something Ingersol-Rand compressor I restored a couple of years ago. It's a family photo.....Bob

202303327133315.jpg.b943efa0f6d6507f3adc38127b8e3296.jpg

Hubba bubba lookit the intake air filter on that Rand! 115v or 230v? Pressure rating?

Bob, document what you've learned about these magnificent old chargers in case someone else comes across one and wants to get it functional. Their like will not be seen again.

Then again if it ain't got a USB cable most now have no idea about charging a battery.🤨  Lord help when EVs become the law of the land and people start burning down their houses because they don't understand how a charger works.

10 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Hubba bubba lookit the intake air filter on that Rand! 115v or 230v? Pressure rating?

It looked pretty bad when I bought it. Dirty, belts rotted, and an old 2 HP repulsion induction motor etc etc. It was a real pig in a poke buy but the oil bath filter and art deco styling made it a "must have" and for $50 I figured "why not".  The project was a blast. I called IR for info and they said they had nothing except the serial  number indicated it was from the 1930,s.

I hydro tested the tank to 300# and went from there. The disc valves needed to be rebuilt and new cone springs wound to replace the broken ones.. The cylinder bores had no ridges so I broke the glaze and fit new rings, hand cut all the gaskets, and painted it with a quart of 56 Chrysler carnation red Centari I had left over. The motor was incorrect and way under powered. I looked for a period correct 5HP motor but no joy. I lucked into a like new 220V 5 HP single phase motor with starter for $125, a steal, and put it all together.

It runs smooth and quiet.

The tank is rated 200# working pressure  and the 2 stage pump would easily do 175# but I set the pressure switch to cut off at 150.

I'm done with full car restorations so these mini restorations of old mechanical things scratches the itch.

It was a really fun project that expanded my knowledge base and utilized a lot of my shop equipment.

I use it to keep my old car tires aired up.................Bob

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 3/15/2023 at 3:25 PM, Bhigdog said:

1. does anyone have any paper or manuals on this 215 and/or a 322NS Marquette?

A year late, but better than never. I found this thread while gearing up to try and fix a Model 212 (looks the same, no wheel kit, round amp gauge) that I was given in the late 60's by a neighbor that worked for Marquette.  It was bolted between the transformer frame and the housing, face in.  I didn't even realize what it was until I was looking for something on the bench and flipped it over.

Marquette battery charger c.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...