Amelia Island Concours

dr914

Quite a display of Buicks there on Sunday March 5th, including this heavily optioned 64

had no GS wheel nor power vents, but DID have (in no particular order) wonder bar, purse hook, tissue dispenser, "buick is a beauty too" mirror remote trunk, (of course deluxe interior power windows power left seat) air conditioning, right exterior mirror, remote trunk release, rear window defroster, under hood trouble light, trumpet horns, positive traction, wire wheel covers, tilt wheel, electric antenna, twilight sentinel, guideomatic, tinted glass. Listed for 6300 and change

IMG_9702.jpeg

IMG_9703.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMHO, the spoked wheel covers look best on this car.  Rally wheels would not be appropriate for a ‘64.  I’m not sure that I’d like the cast covers with this light of a color. The spokes give the car some pop. ( again, IMHO.)

Lots of time and effort to produce that car, and yet they could not do the research to know to PAINT the cowl vents, except for the U-shaped part across the back?

Any idea what color that is?

• Like 1

Gents, at a show like the the great looking 64 is in is about how the car looks and how well the automobile is preserved. 
Are there any shows or known contests where judges check the functionality of  vintage car assessories, lights, and essentials a motorist needs? We have preservation and race contests, but no “ how does an old car perform “ contests. Interesting.

Turbinator

Yes, the judges check on the drivability of the cars.  At a concurs meet a couple of years ago, two cars were tied for the lead. A winner was declared when the losing car did not have the correct air pressure in the spare tire. Talk about tough. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 12:11 PM, Jim Cannon said:

Lots of time and effort to produce that car, and yet they could not do the research to know to PAINT the cowl vents, except for the U-shaped part across the back?

Any idea what color that is?

Hello   Jim, it may be  Surf Green  poly

Ed,  When i read   that about tire pressures, i  am a member of a local classic car club here

near where i live, about 120 members, and about  trice a year i organize  a thing  we call here a Gymkhana

its a short small run  of  a few miles ,or can be in a   about  one acre  paddock, and  the car members in there  cars go around  and 

partake in about  10  items, some examples are , drive up to a stick of wood vertical in ground and get as close to it as possible

without hitting the stick,  if you touch stick no points,   same   in reverse,  and so on. on with other tests.

But one i do is, as driver  comes to  a judge, you ask the driver  the actual tire pressure in his  right rear tire,  and out of about 

40 to 50 entrants  last time i put this on only  about 3  got  the tire pressure correct, and remember  pressure  can differ alot if its hot

and depends on temperature on that day,     10 points per test  ,maximum   for whole Gymkhana  100 points.

042.JPG

003.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wayne R said:

Ed,  When i read   that about tire pressures, i  am a member of a local classic car club here

near where i live, about 120 members, and about  trice a year i organize  a thing  we call here a Gymkhana

its a short small run  of  a few miles ,or can be in a   about  one acre  paddock, and  the car members in there  cars go around  and 

partake in about  10  items, some examples are , drive up to a stick of wood vertical in ground and get as close to it as possible

without hitting the stick,  if you touch stick no points,   same   in reverse,  and so on. on with other tests.

But one i do is, as driver  comes to  a judge, you ask the driver  the actual tire pressure in his  right rear tire,  and out of about 

40 to 50 entrants  last time i put this on only  about 3  got  the tire pressure correct, and remember  pressure  can differ alot if its hot

and depends on temperature on that day,     10 points per test  ,maximum   for whole Gymkhana  100 points.

042.JPG

003.JPG

40 - 45 years ago, there were a bunch of Gymkhanas run around here when Sunday Blue laws meant that shopping malls were closed and their parking lots were empty.  Here they were closed circuit tracks laid out with orange cones. The car that could complete two or three laps in the quickest times would be the winner.  Lots of winners were hopped up VWs, or some Corvair Spyders. A few guys would try their Corvettes, Camaros, or Mustangs but they couldn’t corner with the smaller rear engined cars.  Then came along a few original Mini Coopers. Front engine front wheel drive - they could lift the outside rear tire in a corner. So much quicker.  Lots of the other guys wouldn’t compete if a couple of Minis showed up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RivNut said:

40 - 45 years ago, there were a bunch of Gymkhanas run around here when Sunday Blue laws meant that shopping malls were closed and their parking lots were empty.  Here they were closed circuit tracks laid out with orange cones. The car that could complete two or three laps in the quickest times would be the winner.  Lots of winners were hopped up VWs, or some Corvair Spyders. A few guys would try their Corvettes, Camaros, or Mustangs but they couldn’t corner with the smaller rear engined cars.  Then came along a few original Mini Coopers. Front engine front wheel drive - they could lift the outside rear tire in a corner. So much quicker.  Lots of the other guys wouldn’t compete if a couple of Minis showed up.

How true that is Ed, i remember those days, in New Zealand  when those minis would win  every thing they entered.